Post-Game Talk: #16 | FLYERS (H) vs. Rangers (A) | Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021 | Flyers win 4-3

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh yeah, I know how they're actually measured, but sometimes I wonder how they're calculating them, if that makes sense.

Every shot from 10 feet out is different, even if it happens in the exact same location multiple times (as an example).

It's a flawed tool and nights like tonight reinforce that.

These tools are flawed in the context of a single game, but tend to even out for most players, there will be some anomalies, players who score better/worse than their metrics suggest (the best finishers).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Both Ghost and Gus "are what they are," valuable guys if you don't lean on them.

Give Ghost space to work and he can still make things happen, but the best teams will forecheck him to death if given the opportunity, which is why I like him best as a 3rd pair guy and PP1 QB, play to his strengths and shelter him a bit. Which is why they need Sanheim - Myers to take it up a notch and join Provorov as reliable workhorses (at least Provorov before this season's funk).

Gus is really skilled offensively, he's better getting the puck on net than Ghost, but the two together pair well on the PP, but I think either could QB on their own, why one isn't paired with Provorov on the PP . . . At 5x5 Gus can be an adventure, mostly because he takes too many chances trying to pass out of his D-zone, while controlled exits are good, at times you have to dump it out rather than turn it over, but he seems to be learning not to pass the puck to the wrong color uniform.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I gotta say, those reverse retro jerseys are growing on me.

They looked pretty sharp last night.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Both Ghost and Gus "are what they are," valuable guys if you don't lean on them.

Give Ghost space to work and he can still make things happen, but the best teams will forecheck him to death if given the opportunity, which is why I like him best as a 3rd pair guy and PP1 QB, play to his strengths and shelter him a bit. Which is why they need Sanheim - Myers to take it up a notch and join Provorov as reliable workhorses (at least Provorov before this season's funk).

Gus is really skilled offensively, he's better getting the puck on net than Ghost, but the two together pair well on the PP, but I think either could QB on their own, why one isn't paired with Provorov on the PP . . . At 5x5 Gus can be an adventure, mostly because he takes too many chances trying to pass out of his D-zone, while controlled exits are good, at times you have to dump it out rather than turn it over, but he seems to be learning not to pass the puck to the wrong color uniform.

In your second paragraph you're assuming a degree of competence and thought that doesn't exist in MT. The reason Provorov doesn't have help from either is simple: they overrate Provorov.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In your second paragraph you're assuming a degree of competence and thought that doesn't exist in MT. The reason Provorov doesn't have help from either is simple: they overrate Provorov.

Yeah, Provorov may be one of those players who matured early and there just isn't much more there.
Which is fine, he's a solid top 4 D-man on a reasonably priced deal, but they need to find him another "Niskanen."

And I think that's Fletcher top priority next summer. One reason NOT to do that deal this season is to save assets for next summer, say a 1st, Millman and another prospect.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This ended up going nowhere, but a shot that was saved and bounced high came near a JVR who was twisted around and only looking in his peripheral and even in slo-mo he reacted to it instantly to gently bat it back into contention out of the air with the toe of his stick. For my money if that had been buried it's assist of the year.

Reminded me of another "non-play of the year" in his first stint where he hackeysacked a rebound then buried it as the whistle was blowing.

Reactions: BernieParent

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This ended up going nowhere, but a shot that was saved and bounced high came near a JVR who was twisted around and only looking in his peripheral and even in slo-mo he reacted to it instantly to gently bat it back into contention out of the air with the toe of his stick. For my money if that had been buried it's assist of the year.

Reminded me of another "non-play of the year" in his first stint where he hackeysacked a rebound then buried it as the whistle was blowing.

I remember exactly which one you're talking about.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com

i had mixed views about jvr, but he always seems to get people wrong about him,
i think this was a good signing by the flyers, i liked his game against the Rangers, hes very focused, and his competitive level is high right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad