Post-Game Talk: #16: Coyotes 4 at FLYERS 5 (OT), Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Weise is a moron but he can be effective. He should've scored Laughton's second goal, had a great look, decides to wind up (???) and shoot it into shin pads and then run into Lindblom. Puck still ends up in the net but it was a comedic sequence.

I hate Weal. He does just enough smart-ish hockey stuff to seem like an OK player and then at the key moment he makes the worst decision available to him every time. He also turns into traffic in the offensive zone ALL THE TIME. Like, he's an AHL player doing AHL **** in the NHL. Every decision a second or two too late, always.

NAK can play 14 seconds for all I care.

The first PP sans Voracek/Simmonds is bad. They need to just revert to that. If anything, drop Couturier to the second unit and run Patrick/Simmonds as your netfront duo. Konecny doesn't have the passing touch (sending or receiving) to work the cross-ice stuff with Giroux and Ghost.
PP?

Agreed. They don't have any freestyle chemistry at all, and therefor need to revert to PP1 lineup to give them a chance at 15% success.

I cannot understand how any group of 5 NHLrs cannot do better than PP2 has...they have zero confidence, no entry chutzpah. I am no coach, but I would give Provy a big rest, he is just a stilted mess. Little attention to subtletly, great straight-up defender but he has no "tricky" or guile in his offensive play, he just bulldozes.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Giroux said on radio "We were in the dressing room and said 'Here we go again' but then said 'We are going to earn the two points.'"

th

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I seriously doubt he has anything to do with anything. I can see Knob telling the PP players to do something, and then Jeff just shouting "Moar heavy!" until he gets the treacle he is looking for.
Which is fine. As long as he's not a board candidate to replace Hak...Knob is worse than invisible. In fact. he's as hurtful as Lapy, the PP has developed...what skills? What abilities?

Nice win Fly guys again, I was entertained, and that's really all I need.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Jake and G looked great at that OT with the puck pursuit. This team has so much talent it will scare other teams if they play like that.

Laugts was great tonight.

OEL deeked for Wiese on that goal haha. Similar to that assist he had.

Lappy really should be fired seasons ago. He really needs to go ASAP.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
PP?

Agreed. They don't have any freestyle chemistry at all, and therefor need to revert to PP1 lineup to give them a chance at 15% success.

I cannot understand how any group of 5 NHLrs cannot do better than PP2 has...they have zero confidence, no entry chutzpah. I am no coach, but I would give Provy a big rest, he is just a stilted mess. Little attention to subtletly, great straight-up defender but he has no "tricky" or guile in his offensive play, he just bulldozes.
Never need to practice pp. Keenan and allot of other never coached that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek and Ghost redeemed themselves at the end, but they did not play well.
Ghost blew the pass to the point on the PP, the ref got in the way but it never should have gotten out of the O-zone. And he just didn't look good until the pass to Weise.
Voracek gave a half assed effort on the 2nd SH goal, either that, or his legs are going b/c he had the anglel on Grabner.
And what's with missing wide up shots from 10-15 feet? At least hit the net guys! I saw at least four shots that totally missed close in.

Same with Sanheim, easily beat by Connauton in a foot race, he's supposed to be fast?

HDCF/CA
Hagg 11-6
Folin 10-5
Sanheim 8-4
Gudas 7-4
Ghost 7-5
Provorov 10-8

What I've seen again and again is the kids are the motor now, Patrick, Lindblom, Laughton and most of all TK.
Weise had a great game, but geez, how did he score? Because all game he hustled, but muffed plays, son of Raffl!

Arizona is a weird team, great speed but not good players right now, I think they're the future of the NHL, not a team full of figure skaters, but a lot of speed and aggression on the forecheck, they just need more skill to finish plays. But much like Vegas, they're gonna make life hard for players like Ghost and Weal who lack size and great speed and have to struggle to separate against a team like this.

Elliott looked really good, I thought Pickard was a victim of circumstance, but he has to come up big on one of those goals.

Reactions: marcsson68

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Reason PP looked so bad is Flyers are deliberate, they want to set up, attack the box and set up a good scoring chance - but Arizona never establishes a box, they just chase the puck and the Flyers hold it too long and get stripped or their shot blocked.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Voracek and Ghost redeemed themselves at the end, but they did not play well.
Ghost blew the pass to the point on the PP, the ref got in the way but it never should have gotten out of the O-zone. And he just didn't look good until the pass to Weise.
Voracek gave a half assed effort on the 2nd SH goal, either that, or his legs are going b/c he had the anglel on Grabner.
And what's with missing wide up shots from 10-15 feet? At least hit the net guys! I saw at least four shots that totally missed close in.

Same with Sanheim, easily beat by Connauton in a foot race, he's supposed to be fast?

HDCF/CA
Hagg 11-6
Folin 10-5
Sanheim 8-4
Gudas 7-4
Ghost 7-5
Provorov 10-8

What I've seen again and again is the kids are the motor now, Patrick, Lindblom, Laughton and most of all TK.
Weise had a great game, but geez, how did he score? Because all game he hustled, but muffed plays, son of Raffl!

Arizona is a weird team, great speed but not good players right now, I think they're the future of the NHL, not a team full of figure skaters, but a lot of speed and aggression on the forecheck, they just need more skill to finish plays. But much like Vegas, they're gonna make life hard for players like Ghost and Weal who lack size and great speed and have to struggle to separate against a team like this.

Elliott looked really good, I thought Pickard was a victim of circumstance, but he has to come up big on one of those goals.
Lol...kids are the motor now....kids had 4 out of 13 points tonight.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kids were driving play when Arizona was overwhelming the veterans.
Now they're an usual team, but shows the value of young legs.

I'd like to see more of NAK, but it's kinda awkward right now, when JVR returns, Weise may go to LW with Laughton and NAK, and they may get more minutes as an energy line. Then Raffl returns and ???

Weal is good at possession and empty Corsi, but he still struggles to finish plays, doing too much skating on the cycle, he's sort of mini-Giroux without the great vision.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Some important notes from what I know:

-Even with this win we are 1 game above .500

-We had to come back from a 2 goal deficit to win a game against a non-playoff team that was playing their backup in a road game.

-Our last 4 wins have come against the worst team in the western conference (LA), a team 3 spots out of the last WC spot (Arizona x2), and a .500 team two spots out of the last WC spot that also played it's backup against us (Anaheim).

-There's only 4 teams in the whole league with a worse goal differential than us.

-There's only 2 teams in the whole league with more games played than us yet we still don't even hold a WC spot as is.

Just some quick observations. This is all despite winning 3 of our last 4 and picking up points in 4 of our last 4. Yay for delaying the inevitable and perpetuating mediocrity though. I don't like being like this, but come the f*** on who doesn't see how this is going to end aside from deadhead and Ghost's Beer?

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Not to beat a Dale horse, but you probably don't want to lead with "I think it's huge for us" when you present THAT face to the world.

hey, you know what's better than coming back from being down due to giving up two shorties on the same PP? not being down due to giving up two f***ing shorties on the same f***ing PP in the first place.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The hatred of Ghost, Giroux, and Voracek is absolutely amazing.

Don't hate Giroux, he's playing great, carrying Couts right now, but I have confidence that Couts will turn it around.
Just can't ask 30 year old Giroux to carry the load like 24 year old Giroux.

Voracek is the same inconsistent, highly talented but meh motor player he's been for the last decade. And I think he's a drag on Lindblom/Patrick because he tends to free lance on his own, they just look better with TK.

Ghost has been exposed on both the PP and ES, he lost his great burst after his injury and the league sees it, he's a good offensive D-man, but no longer someone that teams fear - something is missing. And fast teams really attack him now because that fear is gone.

The real question is who hacked into Provorov's software?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad