16/17 - Steve Ott

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Didn't like the signing. Absolutely have loved his play in preseason thus far. Anyone else have thoughts on him thus far? I think he could actually be a surprise signing. He's playing hard.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Didn't like the signing. Absolutely have loved his play in preseason thus far. Anyone else have thoughts on him thus far? I think he could actually be a surprise signing. He's playing hard.

I've liked him too. Wasn't against the signing, cause I wanted to see some games first.

Looks like he is a better fit for Glendening than any other Red Wing ever.

Like, earlier there has been some skill players like Pulkkinen/Jurco learning defensive play on the cheking line. But now, all those guys (Miller, Glendy, Ott) are just on same page, and it just works. It just works.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I've liked him too. Wasn't against the signing, cause I wanted to see some games first.

Looks like he is a better fit for Glendening than any other Red Wing ever.

Like, earlier there has been some skill players like Pulkkinen/Jurco learning defensive play on the cheking line. But now, all those guys (Miller, Glendy, Ott) are just on same page, and it just works. It just works.

I thought Otter was broken and long gone from the Dalllas/Buffalo days.. but man his vision seems so much better than your typical fourth liner and his speed is there. I love Miller, think he deserved the extension based on his PK work, but I wonder if Ott actually pushes him out of the lineup at times.

If you go with a shutdown line, a Ott-Glenny-Abby line seems nasty.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Like Otter, I think the team will surprise in general.

But I'm probably one of the few with that opinion.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not regarding Ott specifically, nor posters on this forum specifically, but it surprises me in general, how many people attempt to glean significant insight out of preseason sports.

As a rule of thumb, I generally give it zero credence whatsoever. As long as nobody gets hurt, I could not care less if a given team is undefeated, winless, or how anybody plays, because it usually means next to nothing once the regular season begins.

Now if Ott continues his intensity when the competition takes a significant bump later this month, then kudos to him, and I will be genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised. But the "games before the games", the majority of the time, aren't necessarily any indication of what's to come.

Suavecito

Oct 8, 2016
Milwaukee
Was not happy with the signing (don't we have guys in GR that play with an edge?), but from what little I've seen, or heard - it looks like he might be proving me wrong, and I'm ok with that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hatred the signing, love what I've seen. If it translates to the regular season then I will be a happy camper.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Ott brings an element that the team is lacking outside of a couple other guys

He seems unnecessary in the grand scheme and I don't really love the fact that we signed him

But it is more like "why sign Ott when we just signed Nielsen and Vanek and re-signed Helm and now there are no roster spots and no money?" thing rather than "Steve Ott is completely and utterly useless"

If it gives the 4th line a true identity and makes us harder to play against, A+

And Vanek has looked good as well, but like others have said, it is still preseason

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Ott brings an element that the team is lacking outside of a couple other guys

He seems unnecessary in the grand scheme and I don't really love the fact that we signed him

But it is more like "why sign Ott when we just signed Nielsen and Vanek and re-signed Helm and now there are no roster spots and no money?" thing rather than "Steve Ott is completely and utterly useless"

If it gives the 4th line a true identity and makes us harder to play against, A+

And Vanek has looked good as well, but like others have said, it is still preseason

Yes, he brings his inability to score in real NHL games like 3 goals in 108 games the last two years including playoffs, his -58 lifetime plus minus, and 1475 penalty minutes. What more can you possibly need to see from a 34 year old? And he's taking Mantha or AAs spot. That's as dumb a signing as could ever be made. Did KH really need a 4th for golf?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yes, he brings his inability to score in real NHL games like 3 goals in 108 games the last two years including playoffs, his -58 lifetime plus minus, and 1475 penalty minutes. What more can you possibly need to see from a 34 year old? And he's taking Mantha or AAs spot. That's as dumb a signing as could ever be made. Did KH really need a 4th for golf?

Ott isn't blocking Mantha or AA

Vanek and re-signing Helm are more in the way than Ott is

If they were going to play on the 4th line, who cares that they aren't on the team? That is not the right way to develop skill prospects

edit: also how did you read my post and see it as anything remotely close to supporting his signing? I basically made all the points you brought up lol

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I liked Ott more than Miller. It's essentially Holland's way of fulfilling his stated desire for the team to get tougher to play against. Much like his attempts at fixing the blueline, though, it's laughable. But he's better than Miller. So there's that.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Like Otter, I think the team will surprise in general.

But I'm probably one of the few with that opinion.

I'll toss my hat in that ring with you.

Now if Ott continues his intensity when the competition takes a significant bump later this month, then kudos to him, and I will be genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised. But the "games before the games", the majority of the time, aren't necessarily any indication of what's to come.

That's why he was signed to begin with: He plays with intensity. He plays a game that only maybe Glendening can play. He's a character guy. He's gritty. He irritates the ever-loving **** out of the opposition.

He's not being paid to score goals, it's as simple as that. As has been stated, he's not taking AA or Mantha's spot. The only spot he might be taking is Bertuzzi or Callahan, and Ott is an upgrade over both of them right now. But hey, let's look at the stats, shall we?

'12-'13 Buffalo Sabres: 48GP (lockout); 9g, 15a, +3; Team Record: 21-21-6.

'13-'14 Buffalo Sabres: 59GP (traded to St. Louis); 9g, 11a, -26; Team Record: 21-51-10 (Tyler Myers was also a -26 on that team)

He scored 3g, 9a in 78 games with St. Louis in '14-'15. The year before, he played 23 games (traded from Buffalo). Last year? 21 games (Injured: Hamstring, Colitis)

Back any further than that, and he's actually a pretty effective player. Some people just want to find anything to **** on...

I liked Ott more than Miller. It's essentially Holland's way of fulfilling his stated desire for the team to get tougher to play against. Much like his attempts at fixing the blueline, though, it's laughable. But he's better than Miller. So there's that.

I don't get the Miller hate, honestly. He's a good 4th line player, and that's where he is. Both him and Ott have skill, they just don't really get to use it because of the roles in which they're utilized.

Besides, they're both UFAs after this season. Both can be buried with little-to-no impact on the Cap situation. Having these two on the team is not a problem like a lot of people think it is.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
People complaining about Miller and Ott combined they make 1.8m a year....if we had that cap space..what would we spend it on? Probably just other 4th line plugs who are there to play roles. IMO, Miller is great for what he does and I like Ott so far.

We all know where the money is at that actually hurts us.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I actually liked the Ott signing much more than the Richards 2.0 and rich mans Filppula until he's 39 signing. A cheap signing that adds some grit and it sounds like the guy really wants to play for the team.

I think it'll be nice having a complete 4th line and not Glendening and Miller joined by various plugs who are supposed to be skilled but aren't good enough for the top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad