159th overall: Devils draft REECE SCARLETT (D)

KarmaIsAKiller

Larssonist
Apr 12, 2010
The rewards of Scarlett panning out could be great.

Good mobility + positionally sound decision-making is always a nice start for any young d-man.

Jared Ramsden

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Listening to The Pipeline Show (great podcast for prospects: http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media.php?s=1293858000&e=1314763200&sn=6). They were going over each team and since they're based in Edmonton, they spent more time on Reece Scarlett than the rest of our picks. Of note:

- some scouts they talked to didn't think Scarlett would last past #40
- very intelligent, maybe only Dougie Hamilton would have a higher IQ
- they thought he was overused in Swift Current and wore down over the year which affected his play at the U-18, to basically reiterate what RS said

I saw Scarlett play twice last year, and I can tell you that from what I saw those two games, that is spot on. He literaly played half the game, both times. His frame definitely wasn't built to withstand that kind of heavy workload, hence how he wore down as the season came to a close. As long as he packs on the pounds and gets stronger, he'll be able to withstand the heavy workload.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I thought I bump up this thread and give Reece a little love - even so he has just one goal this year in 27 games in Albany he does have 16 assists which is pretty impressive. He might be considered a top defensive prospect in any other organization but with our outstanding depth he's down on the chart and often forgotten.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He needs to weight to handle an NHL season though. I'm surprised he hasn't really put on much size since signing.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He absolutely needs to bulk up to have a good shot of making & then staying in the NHL.
He's got good skills and he's a smart player from what I have seen.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wouldn't say "bulking up" is a requirement. There's more and more defensemen these days that are proving you can be small and still succeed in the NHL.

If he's smart enough to learn how to play as a guy who won't be as strong as everyone else on the ice, and still contribute to a team, he'll have value.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I wouldn't say "bulking up" is a requirement. There's more and more defensemen these days that are proving you can be small and still succeed in the NHL.

If he's smart enough to learn how to play as a guy who won't be as strong as everyone else on the ice, and still contribute to a team, he'll have value.

Leg strength is crucial for an NHL defenseman and if he wants to take a regular shift in the NHL you can't be 6'1 165lbs.
If he can get over 180lbs it would increase his odds of making NJ at some point.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Leg strength is crucial for an NHL defenseman and if he wants to take a regular shift in the NHL you can't be 6'1 165lbs.
If he can get over 180lbs it would increase his odds of making NJ at some point.

I think 185-190 is reasonable. No ones asking him to become a 230lb monster, just add enough weight to take the punishment of 82 games vs some pretty big dudes.

I love the fact that we have such depth in the system. It's a plus that Scarlett, Hrabarenka, and Helgeson are as high as the AHL. I hope other teams are scouting them. I don't like to jump the gun on trading anyone just yet, but it's obvious there won't be enough room for everyone.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Call him up for Fraser or Harrold tomorrow. We might be able to allow less than 40 shots on goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad