Prospect Info: Kevin Mandolese (G) 157th Overall,

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I’d rather that gets loaned to Europe and gain some new experience. Clearly too good for the QMJHL. Maybe something like 3rd tier Sweden would be a reasonable level for him to start off in.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’d rather that gets loaned to Europe and gain some new experience. Clearly too good for the QMJHL. Maybe something like 3rd tier Sweden would be a reasonable level for him to start off in.

I don't think that's how you are going to develop a NHL prospect

I mean, the ECHL (where Mandolese could have been stuck at the beginning of the season, until an injury or depending if the NHL allows to carry 3 goalies in the line-up) is probably ranked similarly or above the 2nd tier Sweden league.

The QMJHL is also probably better than HockeyEttan by a signifiant margin, at least in terms of talent, not physicality.

I'm far from an expert on the subject but I can't see the Sens sending Mandolese in Sweden's 3rd tier league. And if I was Mandolese, I wouldn't want that either. You don't become better by playing against weaker competition.

He would be in the AHL right now if there wasn't a logjam and no covid. I could also see him do reasonable well. I could see him do better than Gustavsson after an adjustment period

Reactions: bashbros32

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I don't think that's how you are going to develop a NHL prospect

I mean, the ECHL (where Mandolese could have been stuck at the beginning of the season, until an injury or depending if the NHL allows to carry 3 goalies in the line-up) is probably ranked similarly or above the 2nd tier Sweden league.

The QMJHL is also probably better than HockeyEttan by a signifiant margin, at least in terms of talent, not physicality.

I'm far from an expert on the subject but I can't see the Sens sending Mandolese in Sweden's 3rd tier league. And if I was Mandolese, I wouldn't want that either. You don't become better by playing against weaker competition.

He would be in the AHL right now if there wasn't a logjam and no covid. I could also see him do reasonable well. I could see him do better than Gustavsson after an adjustment period

I think what the other poster was getting at is there will be no Brampton team playing this year, and the AHL has that logjam you mentioned, so it would be nice to see him play some professional hockey SOMEWHERE this season, not necessarily the HockeyEttan league. just something overseas rather than sitting on his couch all year. I do like your comparison of SWE-NA leagues however.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think what the other poster was getting at is there will be no Brampton team playing this year, and the AHL has that logjam you mentioned, so it would be nice to see him play some professional hockey SOMEWHERE this season, not necessarily the HockeyEttan league. just something overseas rather than sitting on his couch all year. I do like your comparison of SWE-NA leagues however.

Yeah and frankly I can't offer a solution, there's really no ideal situation out there this year. Any prospect have to find a way to be active somehow. Hopefully, he wouldn't have to play in Sweden's 3rd tier league because it's most likely a significantly lower level than the Q and the ECHL.

All that being said, everything is unpredictable at the moment.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Yeah and frankly I can't offer a solution, there's really no ideal situation out there this year. Any prospect have to find a way to be active somehow. Hopefully, he wouldn't have to play in Sweden's 3rd tier league because it's most likely a significantly lower level than the Q and the ECHL.

All that being said, everything is unpredictable at the moment.

yep. might come down to quality time between the pipes being available... currently we have ~ what... 3? goalie prospects that are inactive?

Sogaard (Loaned to Esbjerg Energy in Denmark 6 days ago, has yet to play)
Daccord
Mandolese (both are slated to play for Belleville starting in February I guess, maybe Gust stays in sweden for the year?)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
yep. might come down to quality time between the pipes being available... currently we have ~ what... 3? goalie prospects that are inactive?

Sogaard (Loaned to Esbjerg Energy in Denmark 6 days ago, has yet to play)
Daccord
Mandolese (both are slated to play for Belleville starting in February I guess, maybe Gust stays in sweden for the year?)

Oh yeah, actually Gustafsson satying in Sweden all year could be a solution

That being said, the AHL and NHL seasons starting that late sucks a lot so we'll see

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Or like the Sens every second year :sarcasm:

so if Gustafsson did stay in Sweden, then our pipeline looks like this for the upcoming season?

NHL
Murray
Hogberg
Nilsson (LTIR)

AHL
Daccord
Mandolese? (no ECHL)

Juniors
Sogaard
Leevi (don't remember spelling on last name)

With an ECHL season it would be

Daccord-Gustafsson in the AHL with Mando the Beast starter?

did I forget anyone?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad