Prospect Info: Kevin Mandolese (G) 157th Overall,

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
He looks like a big goalie...should be interesting but goalies are such a crapshoot. He can be a franchise guy or never sign a pro contract.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It was a bit of a rough go for Mandolese on a bad Cape Breton team but as his team got worse he got better and played better than the stats indicated which is why I had him 3rd in my personal rankings:

Like with Primeau last season I don’t believe that the numbers tell the whole story in regards to Mandolese’s season. The biggest aspect of Mandolese’s game that didn’t translate into results is how he progressed from the start of the season to the end of it. At the start of the season we saw a Mandolese that knew he was physically gifted and used those physical gifts to the max. By the end of the season we saw a Mandolese that focused on playing a pro-style game with more of a slant towards the technical side to the game with his physical skills being the supplement. The first instance of this change was in his stance. At the start of the year Mandolese was using a low/wide type stance that had him using his edges a lot. During the season he transitioned to a stance where his legs would be more upright while his upper body got low in this stance so he could track the puck through bodies and more importantly his movement primarily comes from his footwork over his edges now.

By using more of his footwork this has caused Mandolese to be more patient in the crease. He knows he has a high level of overall quickness to make quick body movements and quick movements around the crease so he can afford to be the patient one. It’s this trust in his frame and patience that allows Mandolese to not be overly aggressive in his challenging with the most aggressive he’ll be is having his toes touching the top of the crease. Another part of his game that is attractive is his puck tracking. Mandolese always, or nearly always, knows where the puck is. He might be out of position but he knows where the puck is so he’ll always have a chance at making the save even if he’s not in the best position or situation. Where his puck tracking drops a bit is when the puck is behind the net as he’s still learning how the best ways to track the puck in those situations. The other issue in his post play I’d like to see cleaned up is on how he over extends his blocker when he’s on either post to try and cut off passes. In terms of playing the puck Mandolese loves to play the puck and he has the skill to back it up. He’s consistent in making quick, smart decisions and capable of making strong passes/clears.

The biggest blemish upon Mandolese’s game is that he’s prone to inconsistency. You can attribute some of that at least to his age. He’s a young goalie who has a large frame so you expect there to be growing pains because that’s a lot of body you’re trying to control and keep together. His inconsistency is apparent in all parts of his game which includes how well he tracks shots. As mentioned above he’s very good at tracking the puck around the ice but when it comes to tracking the puck into his body though the inconsistency issue pops up. It’s not frequent but it’s noticeable especially when looking at his Impact Ratings as his IR is a bit below average on both low danger and clear shot situations because there’s always a few moments where he lets out an unnecessary rebound. This inconsistency also creeps into his movements. He’s gotten better at refining his movements through the season but there are still times where he’ll make a push/slide and end up in front of the puck though his body itself would be off-angle.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
He was just named QMJHL goalie of the year. Great stats this year with the Eagles.

he signed his first pro contract with Ottawa last month.

I wonder what will be Ottawa goaltenders situation next year. Hogberg and Nilsson in a 1A/1B type of tandem, and then Daccord and Mandolese with the Baby Sens?

or does Anderson re-sign and push Mandolese to the ECHL?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He was just named QMJHL goalie of the year. Great stats this year with the Eagles.

I wonder what will be Ottawa goaltenders situation next year. Hogberg and Nilsson in a 1A/1B type of tandem, and then Daccord and Mandolese with the Baby Sens?

Mandolese is either ECHL, or back to the Q.

Nilsson and Hogberg in the NHL, Gus and Daacord in the AHL, then the Sens have both Mandolese and Sogaard (traded up in 2nd round to get him last year) as 00’s coming from the CHL. If Sogaard goes back to Europe, there may be room in the ECHL for him.

Mandolese is #5, at best in the pecking order right now, and if Sogaard doesn’t go back to Europe he is probably 6th.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

Probably starts in the ECHL and works his way up. They already have Gustavsson and Daccord in the AHL. Hogberg, Anderson and Nilsson at the NHL level. Someone is going to be shipped out assuredly.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Newfound Confidence Carries Mandolese Into First Pro Season

For a player who has raved about the benefits of getting insight from pros, one can only imagine the rewards Mandolese’s game will reap as he begins his own professional career. The confidence that he has found over the past couple of seasons will be vital heading into his first ECHL campaign, but expect Mandolese to continue to make a name for himself.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Ottawa is loaded with goaltending prospects right now. No need to draft or trade for anyone else.

Reactions: bert

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Mandolese looked pretty big at the development camp last summer which seems like yrs ago. I have him going to Belleville to compete for a spot & most likely ending up in the ECHL. I think Sogaard goes back to junior or back to Europe to play for a yr or so.

Given they have a number of goalies already in their system I would like to see them package one to move up in this draft to acquire a player of need, maybe even a better goalie prospect like Askarov.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa is loaded with goaltending prospects right now. No need to draft or trade for anyone else.
We apparently drafted Soogard in part because we expected to lose a goalie to the expansion draft. At that time i think they we worried about Hoberg and Gustavsson, but maybe now its Daccord and Mando lol... Goalies are voodo, never make any plans based on goalies...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Of all the goalies in the Sens org, I like Hogberg, Daccord & Mandolese in that order. I think any of the rest could be used as trade bait.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Of all the goalies in the Sens org, I like Hogberg, Daccord & Mandolese in that order. I think any of the rest could be used as trade bait.
Goalies carry little to no weight in a trade, just ride it out and hope one hits. Most goalies dont even flirt with the NHL until they are in their mid 20's. The sens have too many goalies right now as is, I wouldnt touch Askarov with any of the first rounders. Pretty excited about Daccord, Mandolese and Hogberg i think atleast one will hit.

Reactions: DueDiligence

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Goalies carry little to no weight in a trade, just ride it out and hope one hits. Most goalies dont even flirt with the NHL until they are in their mid 20's. The sens have too many goalies right now as is, I wouldnt touch Askarov with any of the first rounders. Pretty excited about Daccord, Mandolese and Hogberg i think atleast one will hit.

We have to take into account the "we traded the wrong goalie" factor....

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
We should definitely call him mando like from the Mandolorian. Because he's going to fail miserably after initially getting everyone's hopes up.

Also the names are kind of similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->