#156 overall, LD Kyle Aucoin

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Not sure about this pick. 13 points in 48 games. A -7 player. Maybe his stock increased because of his dad?

I think there were betters picks to be made at 156. Yes I know it is a 6th round pick but I would have liked someone with more potential like Miettinen, Pashin, Magnusson, Mancini or Cardwell.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Usually these guys will get signed earlier, like after 3 years, if the college hockey career goes well. Then they only have the one year to complete after a hockey career.
Harvard players tend to graduate, like Killorn, Kerfoot, Fox, Vesey and Biega. Kids go there for the education, Harvard does not give out athletic scholarships. Vesey and Fox did not sign with the team that drafted them.

Donato left early as did John Marino (Penguins), so it can happen, but both went straight to the NHL, not the AHL.

Another factor here is that his family has money, so there's less incentive to leave early.

Reactions: BSHH and Henkka

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
This season Kyle Aucoin's performance is... weird? In 21 games, he scored 2 times and got 1 assist. Just 3 points. Points wise, he is regressing a bit compared to last year.

I have not seen him play, but what are scouts seeing in him? He is listed as a two-way defender, but the offence is lacking. His strength is his skating, which is always handy.

Who knows, maybe a 3rd line defender? Time will tell, but I am not sure about his upside.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These Draper and Aucoin picks should have been used for Europeans. There's was a lot of talent left, like Mannheim's Florian Elias, who went undrafted. Nashville-drafted Juuso Pärssinen playing at TPS 1st line currently. Axel Rindell great offensive defenceman and Veeti Miettinen who is thriwing now at NCAA, toronto did pick both guys. NYI-drafted Matias Rajaniemi, big-sized D, same styled as Aucoin, but bigger. They really missed Finland at this draft.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
These Draper and Aucoin picks should have been used for Europeans. There's was a lot of talent left, like Mannheim's Florian Elias, who went undrafted. Nashville-drafted Juuso Pärssinen playing at TPS 1st line currently. Axel Rindell great offensive defenceman and Veeti Miettinen who is thriwing now at NCAA, toronto did pick both guys. NYI-drafted Matias Rajaniemi, big-sized D, same styled as Aucoin, but bigger. They really missed Finland at this draft.
While that may be true, it's clear that they had a clear philosophy with a lot of their late round picks of grabbing college players who don't have to be signed until 2025. Personally, I'm fine with players like them who have a long runway before the team has to sign them given the odds a 6th or 7th round pick makes it are equally long.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
While that may be true, it's clear that they had a clear philosophy with a lot of their late round picks of grabbing college players who don't have to be signed until 2025. Personally, I'm fine with players like them who have a long runway before the team has to sign them given the odds a 6th or 7th round pick makes it are equally long.

Don't you know that it's the same 4 years for signing Europeans, and usually with less risk to have those guys walk for free to another team. It seems nothing but NA bias for me.

Draper and his part of the scouting deparment liked to show something, and not picking everything from "Sweden". And pretty fast, few months after the draft, still looks that our NA scouting is as weak as in the past.

They just seemed stupid picks. Fine with Chase Bradley pick and Alex Cotton was ok. But those two picks between them should have been used smarter for better potential which still existed there.

Draft the best players.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Look at all the undrafted D+1-aged guys tearing up the USHL.
Cameron Berg in Muskegon.
27 games 17-30-37. Had 30 points in 32 games last year.
But good old boys are good old boys, and someone's gonna draft someone's kid with a 7th rounder.

So here's my question - considering that:
How did Josh Doan not get drafted.
Similar scouting report.
And here's Doan's numbers this year in the same league
27 games 16-19-35.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Don't you know that it's the same 4 years for signing Europeans, and usually with less risk to have those guys walk for free to another team. It seems nothing but NA bias for me.

Draper and his part of the scouting deparment liked to show something, and not picking everything from "Sweden". And pretty fast, few months after the draft, still looks that our NA scouting is as weak as in the past.

They just seemed stupid picks. Fine with Chase Bradley pick and Alex Cotton was ok. But those two picks between them should have been used smarter for better potential which still existed there.

Draft the best players.
Actually because Aucoin, Draper and Bradley were still in juniors prior to going to college they have 5 years before they have to be signed, unlike other college-bound athletes. It's why we have an extra year to sign Tuomisto IIRC.

While it's easy from an armchair perspective to say that these are stupid picks, I still think it's too early to draw any conclusions from a new staff to assess their draft strategies as "better" or "worse" than Holland & co. I had guys that I preferred over Aucoin and Draper too, like Samuel Johannesson or Devon Levi, but I can understand the logic of taking fliers on players that have hockey bloodlines and have a long time before they have to signed, even longer than Europeans.

But good old boys are good old boys, and someone's gonna draft someone's kid with a 7th rounder.

Similar scouting report.
27 games 16-19-35.
To answer your question with another: why does it matter?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Similar scouting report.
27 games 16-19-35.

NHL teams must feel silly wasting all that time/money on scouting junior-aged players when they could just look at point totals and know everything they need to know, huh?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
WHy bother with all of that when you can just pick your son instead?

I know, right? Especially since NHL scouts and GM’s have infinite job security and would have no reason not to be be frivolous with things like draft picks.

Reactions: Gniwder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm just pissed of about a hope, that when Yzerman did change half of the scouts, mostly NA scouts, our drafting would finally be better, at North America. And perfect combined, because Europe works.

But no, it's still all Europe. Raymond, Niederbach, Wallinder, Viro, Bednar. Nice group of solid Europeans. Also all guys who are developing better than expected from that 2019 class are Europeans, Seider, Johansson, Söderblom. And these NA players were unneeded reaches with every god damn pick.

Reactions: Killerjas

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm just pissed of about a hope, that when Yzerman did change half of the scouts, mostly NA scouts, our drafting would finally be better, at North America. And perfect combined, because Europe works.

But no, it's still all Europe. Raymond, Niederbach, Wallinder, Viro, Bednar. Nice group of solid Europeans. Also all guys who are developing better than expected from that 2019 class are Europeans, Seider, Johansson, Söderblom. And these NA players were unneeded reaches with every god damn pick.
We had only 3 NA picks in 2019. Mastrosimone and Gylander seem pretty solid so far. Phillips I don't know.
2020 picks is so early to talk about, especially when a lot of them have barely been playing. Big reason a lot of the euros are shining more is that they're playing and they're playing in situations where they get exposure (SHL, Liiga,WJC).

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I don't know. Pose your question to a Red Wings fan who remembers winning the cup with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.
It's a very different hockey world we live in then when those 2 were drafted. We were the only team to see Datsyuk that just doesn't happen nowadays.

We all want to maximize our draft picks, put I'm still not going to cry over waster late round picks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should be top 4 and second pair LD behind Henry Thrun this year. The LD that was playing above him last year graduated and they have mostly RD.

Looking at their lines from last year, would think it is going to be:

Thrun-Moore
Aucoin-Siedem or Bar

Hopefully he can put up some points and show something. Didn't mind this pick when made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->