15 years since the first Heritage Classic (Edm-Mtl)

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
Can't believe it's been 15 years since the inaugural Heritage Classic between the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadiens. November 22, 2003.

Still remember this game like it was yesterday because it was such a novelty. First outdoor game in modern NHL history. Gretzky's Oilers vs. Lafleur's Canadiens in the Legends game. Theodore wearing the toque over his helmet. The freezing temperatures. What an event.
images(1).jpg

HeritageClassic.jpg

4312393.jpg

620-heritage-thumb-620xauto-337379.jpg

Attachments

• HeritageClassicGroup.jpg
    HeritageClassicGroup.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Good for you that you got to witness the event. I didn't check that day's weather records but the photos indicate it had a sunny start. Attendance at my first two outdoor games (only ones so far but I keep hoping) brought overcast skies and game time temps already below -10°C with occasional light snowfall. Might not have been ideal conditions for playing hockey, but I sure thought they were ideal for enjoying - and occasionally shivering - from within the covered stands.

Reactions: hitman9172

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
When I saw that on tv, I thought it was so cool to see.. and it did definitely got my attention good.. loved the toque Jose wore in that game.. the alumni game also was awesome as well!

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I remember that game, was a good concept at 1st but eventually the novelty wore off.
IMO, the NHL outdoor game concept has suffered primarily from two things: (1) frequency; and (2) the desire to maximize profits. When they play more than one outdoor game per season, and they host those games in venues where 30,000+ fans are all seated at least the length of the rink away from the playing surface (and most of them much further away), the uniqueness and intimacy of the game that fans seek to recapture are both lost in the over-hyped product. Holding the games in iconic outdoor venues (i.e., baseball & football stadiums) is nothing more than an attempt to get larger & more varied audiences to buy tickets and merchandise. The closest I ever saw to an idea that would bring the NHL closer to the "real feel" of an old-fashioned outdoor hockey game was the suggestion that the Capitals host a Winter Classic on the D.C. Mall; but Caps owner Ted Leonsis summarized the reasons why that idea was DOA, with clear overtones of the economic shortfalls of the proposal.
Also– the idea of a game being played on the Mall has been floated around for many years – it is NOT feasible; there aren’t enough common areas to build out seats – and the expense involved to create locker rooms; icestands and studios are prohibitive. The Mall is managed by the National Park Services; as well. ...

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I remember watching it then. Remember, Messier was an active player in November of 2003 still, but they let him play in the old timers game for the Oilers. I remember just thinking how cold it looked. That being said, the novelty wore off. I never thought even then that I would like to be there. There is a reason the Super Bowl is played in a warm climate or a dome. No one wants to freeze after paying lots of money to do so.

Plus they are every year now and the games are painful to watch. The players look like they have snowshoes on the way they skate. One of the best seasons in the last 30 years was interrupted (Crosby) because of that game. Maybe if the game is played in an NHL rink Crosby has a bit more awareness of things and notices Steckel coming.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I remember watching it then. Remember, Messier was an active player in November of 2003 still, but they let him play in the old timers game for the Oilers. I remember just thinking how cold it looked. That being said, the novelty wore off. I never thought even then that I would like to be there. There is a reason the Super Bowl is played in a warm climate or a dome. No one wants to freeze after paying lots of money to do so.

Plus they are every year now and the games are painful to watch. The players look like they have snowshoes on the way they skate. One of the best seasons in the last 30 years was interrupted (Crosby) because of that game. Maybe if the game is played in an NHL rink Crosby has a bit more awareness of things and notices Steckel coming.

Yeah, novelty that wore off real quick though mainly with the more traditionalist, older fans. It was & still is a ratings hit and as such the now departed VP.Marketing & Broadcast of the NHL John Collins really went to town on these events, conjoining corporate sponsorships with media buy-in's with the Outdoor & Stadium Games the centerpiece of an entire 82 Game Schedule, ASG & Playoffs included. Record profits for the NHL, teams fighting over the right to host, big time cash injection, boosted ratings which had been anemic, however.... absolutely milked that cow dry.

Like you I had/have zero interest in attending such an event. Sightlines absurd. No interest in freezing my ass off. Not a fan of matinee games which most of them are..... Now, if they staged them at unique venues, like lets say on the Plains of Abraham outside of Quebec City, Main Lawn of Canadas' Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Lake Louise in Banff, on the Mall in Washington DC, former US Civil War Battlefield sites & other National Monuments, The Alamo, Desert Floor in Phoenix.... and ya, we have the technology... team up with Cirque de Soleil an option as they know EXACTLY what their doing in staging major totally portable events of considerable size in highly creative & imaginative ways .... then sure, I'd go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad