15 year old may be charged with battery after hockey hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Tanguay40 said:
Before people jump on the injured kid, keep in mind that his parents are the one's suing, not the son. I'm not sure if the son agrees with the lawsuit, but I doubt he's much for it. Jump on the parents if you want, however I don't really blame them for (severely) overreacting to their son having a serious injury.

That said, it was a clean hit. It was a split second after the whistle, but there was no way for the kid who was laying out the hit to do respond that quick. He basically just stood up the 17 YO who skated into him.

Nice hit. Sucks about the injury, though. :(

Exactly. The injured kid doesn't deserve any critisism.
It's his parents who are going way beyond overboard. This is hockey...not ballet.

Kalpakid

Oct 4, 2005
No chance of any charges being laid. The player could not possibly have avoided the hit since it was a split second after the whistle blew. The player hit was bigger too. In Europe this kind of hit would have been at least a two game suspension in the pro leagues.

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
I feel really sorry for the kid that got injured, and I'm happy to read that he was released form the hospital. It's just too bad that he now faces risk of infection.
But I also feel sorry for the kid that hit him. I'm sure he was pretty worried about the other guy when he went off the ice.
The parents of the boy that got injured are overreacting. But I can't blame them...they were probably scared out of their minds. The lawyer only served to add fuel to the fire for the sake of his own pocket. If any damages are awarded, they will probably just be enough to recoup medical expenses. But I don't think even that is justified. Unfortunately, bad things happen to good people quite often. This is just an example.
}:-(>

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
NJDevs430 said:
I feel really sorry for the kid that got injured, and I'm happy to read that he was released form the hospital. It's just too bad that he now faces risk of infection.
But I also feel sorry for the kid that hit him. I'm sure he was pretty worried about the other guy when he went off the ice.
The parents of the boy that got injured are overreacting. But I can't blame them...they were probably scared out of their minds. The lawyer only served to add fuel to the fire for the sake of his own pocket. If any damages are awarded, they will probably just be enough to recoup medical expenses. But I don't think even that is justified. Unfortunately, bad things happen to good people quite often. This is just an example.
}:-(>

If any damages are awarded in this case, it sets a very bad and very dangerous precedent for sports law in this country.

Devulous

Aug 3, 2005
I don't see anything wrong with the hit, it certainly didn't look malicious. Stupid lawyers always trying to get everyone to sue, rediculous.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Felonious Python said:
Didn't Hasek check a player and injure him playing roller hockey during his year long retirement in the Czech Republic that brought charges?

I'm pretty sure Hasek whacked the guy with his stick or something along those lines. Something that has no place in hockey, so it's a completely different situation.

I am Jack's Fish

Peter Griffin said:
I'm pretty sure Hasek whacked the guy with his stick or something along those lines. Something that has no place in hockey, so it's a completely different situation.

Hasek allegedly beat the guy up.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Clean hit, happened less than a second after the whistle, even if you wanted to it would be nearly imposssible to avoid hitting the kid, and it even almost looked like borderline incidental contact. I have no idea how the kid ruptured his spleen on the play, must have been a totally freak injury. The parents should be slapped for trying to pursue charges for something like this. Maybe if it was an overly malicious play or something that went far beyond the contact you normally see in hockey thats one thing, but that hit should warrent a maximum punishment of 2 minutes in the box for a late hit.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
As for Hasek, I think he got in a fight and beat up some guy in his Czech roller league.. Did he even get charges though? I thought he just got kicked out of the league, but I could be wrong.

VaporXX

Aug 7, 2003
In Transit
Tanguay40 said:
Before people jump on the injured kid, keep in mind that his parents are the one's suing, not the son. I'm not sure if the son agrees with the lawsuit, but I doubt he's much for it. Jump on the parents if you want, however I don't really blame them for (severely) overreacting to their son having a serious injury.

That said, it was a clean hit. It was a split second after the whistle, but there was no way for the kid who was laying out the hit to do respond that quick. He basically just stood up the 17 YO who skated into him.

Nice hit. Sucks about the injury, though. :(

Hockey Moms Suck...after playing Mites through D3 I am so glad my Mom got to cold to to stay at the rink, and when she did she accepted what could (and often did) happen to me. This kid needs to tell his Parents to stay out of it...or quit, because from now on everyone he plays against will know him as a p**s because of his Mommy and his Lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad