15 richest NHL owners

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The 15-Richest NHL Team Owners And How They Made Their Money | Celebrity Net Worth

#15. Brian Roberts — Philadelphia Flyers
#13. (tie) Ronald Burkle — Pittsburgh Penguins
#13. (tie)David Bonderman — Seattle NHL Team
#12. Joshua Harris — New Jersey Devils
#11. Vincent Viola — Florida Panthers
#10. Jeremy Jacobs — Boston Bruins
#8. (tie) Daryl Katz — Edmonton Oilers
#8. (tie) Henry Samueli — Anaheim Ducks
#7. Edward P. Roski — Los Angeles Kings
#6. Marian Ilitch — Detroit Red Wings
#5. Terrence Pegula — Buffalo Sabres
#4. Ann Walton Kroenke — Colorado Avalanche
#3. Philip Anschutz — Los Angeles Kings
#2. Hasso Plattner — San Jose Sharks
#1. David Thomson — Winnipeg Jets

Posterity. Let's see (in the next week?) how this compares to Forbes' list when they do their annual franchise valuations.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It always kind of blows me away that the team in the smallest by far market has the richest owner in the league. Hell he might be the richest owner in North American sports! (owner is Manchester City in the Premier League is a member of the Emirati royal family and may be richer than Thomson).

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
It always kind of blows me away that the team in the smallest by far market has the richest owner in the league. Hell he might be the richest owner in North American sports! (owner is Manchester City in the Premier League is a member of the Emirati royal family and may be richer than Thomson).
I think Steve Ballmer has him beat in NA.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Keep in mind that Thomson is a minority owner brought in because the majority owner (Mark Chipman) didn’t meet the NHL asset requirements to purchase the team.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Keep in mind that Thomson is a minority owner brought in because the majority owner (Mark Chipman) didn’t meet the NHL asset requirements to purchase the team.

The exact details of their partnership have never been made public. But it's widely assumed over on HFJets that Thomson is the majority owner but is uninvolved in day to day operations, leaving that to minority owner but team President Mark Chipman.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The exact details of their partnership have never been made public. But it's widely assumed over on HFJets that Thomson is the majority owner but is uninvolved in day to day operations, leaving that to minority owner but team President Mark Chipman.
This was Chipmans deal from the start and Thomson was only brought in for additional financing and to satisfy NHL requirements. I find it very unlikely Chipman surrendered controlling interest, especially when his arena business was worth more than the purchases price of the Thrashers. Between the Moose and MTS Center concert business the facility was clearing $20-$25 million per year. That makes it worth comfortably more than anything Thomson would have contributed.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think because of his wealth, they have a team.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
This was Chipmans deal from the start and Thomson was only brought in for additional financing and to satisfy NHL requirements. I find it very unlikely Chipman surrendered controlling interest, especially when his arena business was worth more than the purchases price of the Thrashers. Between the Moose and MTS Center concert business the facility was clearing $20-$25 million per year. That makes it worth comfortably more than anything Thomson would have contributed.

Thomson wasn't "brought in" in 2011. By that point he already had a long-standing partnership with Mark Chipman.

Thomson first got involved because his real estate company, Osmington, owned the old Eatons building which is where Bell MTS Place is now built. They went into partnership back when the arena was built.

Look - Mark Chipman is a wealthy man, but he's not really "own a hockey team" wealthy. His family runs a total of 12 car dealerships in and around Winnipeg. It's a good business to be in, but didn't give him the $130 mil needed to build the arena, nor did it give him enough to pay the $170 mil fee to buy the team. But since Chipman had already been in partnership with Thomson going back to 2002-2004 or so, it was no trouble to just continue that relationship.

Besides, Thomson doesn't even live in Winnipeg. He comes by for a game or two each year, but that's it. He lives in Toronto, and is busy with his day job - being the chairman of Thomson Reuters media empire. I'm pretty sure Chipman is happy being only the minority owner when his partner is generally quite silent.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

David Thomson has bought up nearly half of Downtown Winnipeg, in real estate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad