15 point plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
The point that Burke brings up about salary arbitration, he mentions baseball's "hi/low system"... Can anyone explain to me what that is? I don't follow baseball much anymore and don't know what the system is he's speaking of...

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
AGraveOne said:
That is a good proposal...wonder what the catch is in that? Anyone know the complaints?

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but the overage fees for exceeding the salary cap seem to break down like this:

The Rangers spend 50 mill in payroll so judging by what I think Burke is mentioning is that the Rangers would have to fork over 60 mill in overrage fees?

38 salary max, $5 for every million over = $38 mill * (12 mill * $5) = $98 mill.

Someone correct me please as that can't be right?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Pure Slaughter Value said:
Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but the overage fees for exceeding the salary cap seem to break down like this:

The Rangers spend 50 mill in payroll so judging by what I think Burke is mentioning is that the Rangers would have to fork over 60 mill in overrage fees?

38 salary max, $5 for every million over = $38 mill * (12 mill * $5) = $98 mill.

Someone correct me please as that can't be right?

39 mil tax threshold - 1st mil = .50 on the dollar...aka 500,000 to the good business owners
40 mil tax threshold - 2nd mil = dollar for dollar...1.5 mil
41 mil tax threshold - 3rd mil = 2 for 1...2.5 mil
42 mil tax threshold - 4th mil = 3 for 1...3.5 mil
43 mil tax threshold - 5th mil = 5 for 1...5.5 mil
44 mil tax threshold - 6th mil = 5 for 1...10.5 mil ... etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
tgallant said:
The point that Burke brings up about salary arbitration, he mentions baseball's "hi/low system"... Can anyone explain to me what that is? I don't follow baseball much anymore and don't know what the system is he's speaking of...

I think in baseball players propose a salary and the gm proposes a salary (obviously the gm's will be lower and the player's will be higher). The arbitrator chooses one or the other rather than choosing a salary in the middle like in hockey.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
yes that's exactly right.. I believe the technical term for it is bracketed arbitration..

it encourages bargaining in good faith.

ie. if you're a player like ryan smyth.. you don't ask for a 12million/year contract cuz the arbitrator will likely pick the owners' number and likewise you don't offer joe sakic a 1.5mill/year contract if you're the owner..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad