GDT: #15| New York Islanders @ Tampa Bay Lightning | November 8th | 7:30 PM | F/L 4-2

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
And the forwards that deserted him. To the naked eye he’s the first to take blame (deservedly), support could’ve thwarted the turnover.
I never understand this course of thinking. You do not blame the people who could have made a difference despite the mistake, you blame the cause of the problem. If not for Pulock's ridiculously stupid play, it did not matter what the forwards were doing. Pulock had plenty of time to make the right decision and he did not do so.

On a related sidenote, this is how you know when a player is smart or not. Does anybody notice that certain players can have not so great games on occasion where they do not put up points or are invisible or do not make a difference in helping the team win, but why is it you rarely if ever see these types of guys like Filppula or Komarov or Boychuk or Lee or Cizikas directly make a boneheaded mistake that DIRECTLY leads to a puck in the back of the net that costs the team the game?

Whenever there is a blatant turnover or mind boggling costly mistake, why is it you could bet your paycheck it will always be one of the same group of players (Pelech, Beauvillier, Hickey, Leddy, Pulock)? Why is that? It is because putting aside talent for a second, there are smart hockey players and there are not smart hockey players.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I am not upset, I mean this is an elite team in their building.

Concerns are for Beau and Leddy. Beau looked like he was finding himself with Cizikas and Clutter, so I would stick with that and Let Barzal center Lee and Bailey, and our 3rd line is our best line so the extra pieces have to make up a line (Kuhn/Johnston/Martin) with Nelson and Eberle, that would be the spot for MDC at this point.

I am happy with Adam Pelech's play, I tend to favor him but he is getting very good very quick, that 2nd goal was just a savvy move and I think he should be on the power play, he really attacks the blue line well and should be paired at this point with Pulock.

Leddy has been bad now for about 65 games, he has an occasional moment, at one point last year there was Norris talk for this guy and then his game went into the toilet.

I don't blame Pulock as much as the forwards for not giving him room for a cleaner pass, the forwards were a makeshift crew so there was confusion.

I like Trotz' willingness to change things up but sometimes we end up with bad combos like Mayfield and Pulock (2 Rh dmen) or Nelson, Kuhn, Eberle which was just confusion

We have to light the Panthers up on Saturday, I'd put Martin on IR and give MDC a shot

Lee/Barzal/Bailey
MDC/Nelson/Eberle
Ladd/Filp/Leo
Beau/Cizikas/Clutter

Pelech/Pulock
Leddy/Boychuk
Hickey/Mahyfield

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Just saw the game on delay. Don’t care about the actual score, because the Isles seemed to have a lotta shots.

So, I just need to know... did we win the PDO?! Can’t sleep until I find out otherwise.

Restlessly waiting to find out if I can deem the Islanders the statistical winner over TB!

Reactions: doublechili

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I never understand this course of thinking. You do not blame the people who could have made a difference despite the mistake, you blame the cause of the problem. If not for Pulock's ridiculously stupid play, it did not matter what the forwards were doing. Pulock had plenty of time to make the right decision and he did not do so.

On a related sidenote, this is how you know when a player is smart or not. Does anybody notice that certain players can have not so great games on occasion where they do not put up points or are invisible or do not make a difference in helping the team win, but why is it you rarely if ever see these types of guys like Filppula or Komarov or Boychuk or Lee or Cizikas directly make a boneheaded mistake that DIRECTLY leads to a puck in the back of the net that costs the team the game?

Whenever there is a blatant turnover or mind boggling costly mistake, why is it you could bet your paycheck it will always be one of the same group of players (Pelech, Beauvillier, Hickey, Leddy, Pulock)? Why is that? It is because putting aside talent for a second, there are smart hockey players and there are not smart hockey players.

I understand what you are trying to say and at the same time, every player can make a bonehead play to cause a team to lose a game, Bailey has done it this year, Lee can be counted on for a dumb penalty, Boychuk (having great season) had one big TO this year.

In the case of Pulock the space between him and the forwards was absurd, and I think it was because it was a makeshift line and players were out of place to be honest.

Still we played a tight game again on the road with an elite team if Greiss is in goal we win the game. I think he is better than Lehner slightly

Reactions: dood and CupHolders

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

On a related sidenote, this is how you know when a player is smart or not. Does anybody notice that certain players can have not so great games on occasion where they do not put up points or are invisible or do not make a difference in helping the team win, but why is it you rarely if ever see guys like Filppula or Komarov or Boychuk or Lee or Cizikas directly make a boneheaded mistake that DIRECTLY leads to a puck in the back of the net that costs the team the game?

The first to blame is Pulock, completely reprehensible for that weak, nearly blind chip. I hate that play in hockey, whether watching or playing myself; especially when you have time to process. I think Ryan’s a pretty smart player; he was tired and took time for granted. Now, if that was Kenny Jonsson, he would have made a savvier play and made it look super smooth (speaking of smart hockey players).

That said, the forwards should have been mindful enough to play conservatively.

Reactions: dood and CupHolders

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Still we played a tight game again on the road with an elite team if Greiss is in goal we win the game. I think he is better than Lehner slightly

Tonight maybe, but Lehner was cold; hadn’t played in a week or so.
Overall, he’s the sounder goalie, game in, game out.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The first to blame is Pulock, completely reprehensible for that weak, nearly blind chip. I hate that play in hockey, whether watching or playing myself; especially when you have time to process. I think Ryan’s a pretty smart player; he was tired and took time for granted. Now, if that was Kenny Jonsson, he would have made a savvier play and made it look super smooth (speaking of smart hockey players).

That said, the forwards should have been mindful enough to play conservatively.
Again, when a player makes a play like that, let alone in the final two minutes of a game where his teammates outshot and outplayed possibly the top team in the league on its home ice, there has to be repercussions. There has to be accountability.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Again, when a player makes a play like that, let alone in the final two minutes of a game where his teammates outshot and outplayed possibly the top team in the league on its home ice, there has to be repercussions. There has to be accountability.

In the case of Pulock he has been carrying Leddy this year, covering up for his mistakes all season so far, I give him a pass for that... put him with Pelech and I think that is the right combination and probably becomes our top pairing which is a bit scary

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Trotz looked pretty upset about the outcome. From all accounts, he has open communication w his players and a strong rapport. I’m certain it will be addressed. Doesn’t deserve a benching or anything, but a conversation.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Minus 8 between 3 players again...#7,13 & 18, the 4th line got bounced around with Martin out due to injury...Blaming Pulock is not the answer.

The three #'s mentioned are a minus 25 for the year so far?....moving them around is only thinning the lines that can contribute with offence/grit.....The 4th line looked like smurfs with the addition of #18....anyone thinking bringing up more surfs?.. is happy with the clubs last 2 years performance.

Better get #17 healed up quick this isn't the same team without he..nor was it the past 2 years.

Some poster mentioned the other day Ciz and Clutt make room for Martin thats why you put #18 on the line too get him going?.....Really? ..the poster of that actually thinks Ciz and Clutt make room for Martin?.......All adding #18 to the 4th line did was water down the line further .

Last edited:
Reactions: Keyserfrans

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
8-5-2, I think we'll all take that. Deserved a point last night, but didn't get it. Didn't deserve any points opening night vs Carolina and we got two. It all evens out. Fifteen games in and I'd say the Isles played only three or four bad games. We're way ahead of where any of us thought they'd be considering the schedule.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not really...that was all Ebs....never should have been out of the zone with 1.30 and change left on the clock and a tie game. He should have known better.
The good news about Eberle's defensive shortcomings is that it will be easier to replace him with JHS. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The score is really misleading. We could have easily have lost 6-2 last night. Outside of the 1st and glimpses in the 3rd we were horrible. One shot on net during a 5 on 3? Our PP looked awful. Lehner made a few key saves and had a strong game. Hard to blame him at all.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

Completely disagree
5 guys play defense not 2. That was the problem last year. If you’re a forward and you’re not where you’re suppose to be, that most definitely is your fault when the defenseman is looking to move the puck up the wall.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The score is really misleading. We could have easily have lost 6-2 last night. Outside of the 1st and glimpses in the 3rd we were horrible. One shot on net during a 5 on 3? Our PP looked awful. Lehner made a few key saves and had a strong game. Hard to blame him at all.
That's a real glass half empty way of looking at things... They could have "easily" won 4-2 as well... I'd say they controlled the play for most of the game. Obviously the Lightning were better in the 2nd. Can't expect to dominate every minute against such a skilled team. All in all I thought it was a good road game. Deserved a point. Bummer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Those players you're talking about not needing to take blame are partially responsible for the play. They all bailed on the zone early. You cannot do that in a tie game late in the third period. If his winger is supposed to pull up closer to him and not leave the zone, how is he at fault exactly? It's like a wide receiver running the wrong route.

Let's take a look:

2py6k4w.jpg

Pulock retrieves the puck in the corner. All three forwards are in the zone and they are getting in position to break out.

2vv0yet.jpg

The puck is passed up the wall. All three forwards are still in the zone. Nelson is even with his man in the zone while being in better position to retrieve a puck off the wall and Eberle is in front of the defenseman.

2h55qtt.jpg

Uh, oh...what happened? Tampa's player peeled off Nelson (I think it was Kucherov) and stole the puck between the top of the circle and the blue line. There isn't an Islanders player within four or five feet of him. Coincidentally, that puck is taken right where Eberle and Nelson were just a second earlier. Do you really think the game plan, no matter how weak of an attempt from Pulock it may have been, was for all three forwards to leave the zone in a tie game late in the third period? The obvious answer is no, that wasn't the game plan. Someone or multiple players messed up their job here.

This is an over simplification. The veterans you mentioned play very simple games, that doesn't mean the others aren't smart. You can't win by having a team full of Filppula's, Komarov's, etc. because they don't take risks. Three of the guys you're blaming are still relatively young and it takes time to develop into an NHLer. I remember the same argument being made against Bailey, I guess he's a dumb player too.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Even during the winning streak, they struggled noticeably with turnovers in their own end. A fast high pressure team like Montreal easily exploited that. Whether its personnel or structure, Isles need to do a much better job in their own end, or failure is inevitable.

How often will I have to repost this?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I guess it's nice being annoyed with losing a game like that, instead of just being happy to be close. The attitude and expectations are changing. Losing teams think, cool, we almost won. Winning teams think damn, we can't lose games like that.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

The 5-3 was pathetic. Again, Barzal hanging on to the puck and looking for the perfect pass rather than just firing at the goaltender and letting the two extra guys slap away at rebounds.

But I thought the isles showed more than glimpses in the third, I'd say the period was dead even. I felt pretty good about how they finished the game, except for the Pulock goof obviously. Last year's team always crapped themselves at the end of close games. This team is much more fearless and I'd say that has been the biggest difference so far this season.

Reactions: MJF

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
About exactly what I expected. Came out and played a pretty strong game but couldn't pull it off against an elite team. Outside oif the first 10 minutes of the 2nd and the last 2 minutes of the 3rd we played a good game against a better team. Tough to try and find a silver lining when you lose in that fashion, but still looking at 8-5-2, and still have some optimism. Last night proved that we'll be able to compete in tough games against better teams and I hope that persists.

The loss hurts though and Im sure it hurts worse for the guys on the ice. Expecting a strong effort tomorrow night.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You're accounting for maybe 15 of the 60 minutes. If Tampa had scored on all their opportunities they could have won 6-2 but they didn't. I could have won Powerball if I had 4 more numbers.....

All the areas we fell short last night are noted by the coaches. You're breaking no new ground here.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad