15 locks for next Olympics at forward, only 12(or 13)make it, which 3 potentialy lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

There are 15 forwards who all seem like virtual locks for the next Olympic team barring injury or retirement. They are:

Jason Spezza
Sidney Crosby
Eric Staal
Patrice Bergeron
Jonathon Cheechoo
Dany Heatley
Simon Gage
Jaromie Iginla
Joe Thorton
Vinny LeCavalier
Brad Richards
one checking forward
Todd Bertuzzi
Ryan Smyth
Joe Sakic

The problem is only 12 might go(or 13 if they take a 13th forward). If the team only chooses 12 forwards which 3 of these 15 guys gets left off the next Olympic team? Pick the 3 you think get left off is they go with only 12 forwards, and if they go with 13 which 3 are either not on team or not in lineup.

wildone26*

You forgot Rick Nash. :sarcasm:

1. The poll only allowed for 15 choices.
2. I wanted to include those who would seem almost impossable to leave out, yet the team will have to leave some of them out, as opposed to the Rick Nash type players.

;)

espo*

There's a whole whack of them listed here that are'nt locks in my opinion.

Iginla,Bert,Smyth,Sakic,Heatley,Cheechoo,Lecavalier.

It's too early.

wildone26*

Iginla, Heatley, and LeCavalier I would be shocked if were not included.

wildone26*

I would because:

LeCavalier was one of their best players at the World Cup and Olympics, their 2 biggest recent events. Of course there is probably a World Cup between now and the next Olympics but the impression he left in those 2 events will be hard to leave him off.

Heatley is high regarded by Hockey Canada, they even put him on the 2004 World Cup roster over arguably more deserving people when he struggled badly in the NHL at the time.

Iginla was talked about as the best player in the World before last year, it would be hard to go from being the best player in the World to not making the Olympic team at all in only 5 years.

espo*

Well,Heatley had a bad world cup and olympics,practically invisible at both.He's held in high regard but i'm sure our brass will have their doubts about him come next olympics due to his very dissapointing performance at those two events.A lock i find hard to believe anymore after that.

Granted,Lecavalier had a good world cup but he had a so-so olympics (everyone was at best so-so and mostly just bad) he's certainly got a shot but will have to beat out some solid players to make the team 4 years hence. he'll probably have to beat out Spezza,Staal and Crosby to make that team and that's going to be tough.Maybe the 4th centre spot but if they decide they are going to go with a grinder type centre at one spot then he has his work cut out for him to take the spot of the above mentioned guys.

Iginla? i think his time for a spot on Canada's top team will have passed by 2010,i'm almost sure he won't be there unless his veteran presence is still felt to be needed.my guess is they'll opt for a younger more in their prime winger but he could make it due to the fact the games will be on the small ice.But a lock by 2010?..............can't see it.Guys are and will be knocking on the door for his spot hard by 2010. Mostly(especially after the Torino disaster) they are just going to go with the guys who are playing the best and have shown they can do it more then one season.If there is a younger more dynamic and better producing guy who they are'nt skeptical about having a flash in the pan season he'll likely be on the outside looking in IMO.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
There are 15 forwards who all seem like virtual locks for the next Olympic team barring injury or retirement. They are:

Jason Spezza
Eric Staal
Patrice Bergeron
Jonathon Cheechoo
one checking forward
Todd Bertuzzi
Joe Sakic

How are any of these guys locks? Spezza, Staal, Bergeron, Cheechoo all have to continue to put up great numbers for the next 2 years to be considered "locks". I wouldnt be surprised if one or more of them tank the next couple seasons and get left off.

Bertuzzi played poorly last Olympics (most of the team did but thats another story) and if his play the past 3ish years is any indication there's no way in hell he makes the team over so many better skilled, harder working, and move proven players. He hasnt had a good season since 02-03. Lets see how he does in a full season in Florida before calling him a lock.

If Sakic continues to play at the level he does, he's a lock. If he slows down another step he'll probably pull an Yzerman and back off for the good of the team.

wildone26*

My dad thinks the biggest locks for the team in 2010 are Crosby, Thornton, Nash(I know that is hard to believe but he did say him), Gagne, and Richards. He said all the other spots are open somewhat, and those 5 he is most certain about being picked.

espo*

Geez,forgot all about Thornton.Now Lecavaliers spot looks even more precarious.

wildone26*

Geez,forgot all about Thornton.Now Lecavaliers spot looks even more precarious.

I am aware of the centre clog, but my thinking was the centres who could play wing would in order to accomodate so they all make the team. Maybe I am incorrect on that though.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Here we go again. More Nash drivel. I bet he'll sign your hand this time if you ask nice. He was in a hurry last time.

wildone26*

Here we go again. More Nash drivel. I bet he'll sign your hand this time if you ask nice. He was in a hurry last time.

Learn to read basic english, it would help you greatly. This poll has Rick Nash nowhere on it, so it has nothing to do with him.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Learn to read basic english, it would help you greatly. This poll has Rick Nash nowhere on it, so it has nothing to do with him.

Nothing other than the fact you know Nash is amongst the top 15 Canadian forwards yet you swim upstream trying to show that he is somehow not.

ayy lmao

Dec 31, 2005
nash is one of the best goal scores in the world. i'm 100 % sure he's on the team barring injuries.

i think the three offensive centers will be thornton, crosby and spezza/staal and the wingers are most likely nash, heatley, gagne, cheechoo, iginla and tanguay/bertuzzi. the fourth line will probably be a checking line.

wildone26*

Nash is a victim of the numbers game, just like Tanguay and Marleau are victims of the number game, just like other young players coming up like Toews and Carter and Richards will be victims of the numbers game. They would be in the second group of 15 players after the first 15, but unfortunately with only 12-13 forward spots on the team only the first 15 really have shots at them.

For the really young players now llike Toews, Esposito, Tavares, coming up they can set themselves up that they are controversialy left off like Crosby, Spezza, and Staal were this time around, and put themselves in position to be seriously considered for the 2014 Olympic team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad