Prospect Info: 2017 14th Overall Pick | D Cal Foote

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Commentators talking about Adam Foote being his father is the new "something something did you know ben bishop is 6'7''?"

It's pretty lame. NBCSN's info screen said his comparable player was his dad. That's the best they could do? Compare him to a guy they say he doesn't compare all that well to?

also, did you know that Jeff Skinner used to be a figure skater?

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland
Preferred some guys taken after him (Välimäki, Thomas, Brännström), but I'm fine with the pick. Not surprising at all, honestly.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I thought there were better higher upside picks as well on the board, but I will wait and give this kid a real chance.

Remember Draft Day 2 in 2015? We were all kind of "pissed" by all those boring future 4th lines after round 3. We would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder out of it. Now look at those low ceiling guys today.. Yzerman already brought up Cirellis name as a potential callup this season him and Joseph could easily become 2nd line forwards now.

Or that kid called Ben Thomas, neither of us (except Hose I think) liked him as a junior player and I even questioned, wether we should sign him.. One pro year later and he likely is the first RD callup for next season, surpassing Blujus and Co on the fly. Why? Just because he is one of the few guys that has not taken the suppossed step back when entering the pro rank.

Cal Foote is one of the savest bets to become an NHLer out of the draft IMO. The question ist how far he can go.. And I think upside is there, wether he reaches it, we will see.

He is a 2nd pairing dman at best.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Yzerman doesn't believe in BPA apparently.

Well, Foote may have been their BPA at the time. You never know how a team rates players.

But I'm glad that we drafted for need too. Despite what some may say, pretty much every organization needs more RHD right now. Having a prospect like Foote in the system is only a good thing term. And hell, even if he 'only' reaches a 2nd line pairing potential, that's still nothing to scoff at. It will be exciting to see him in Syracuse in a year.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yzerman doesn't believe in BPA apparently.

Cool - which team are you a professional scout for?

All we heard leading up to this draft (and including quotes from Scouts and GMs) is how picks 10-35 aren't that far apart. But you guys read a scouting report online and suddenly are pros.

It's not like Foote was an off-the-board pick, and it's not like we passed on a surefire stud. He was one of about 10 guys who were in that range.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

All we heard leading up to this draft (and including quotes from Scouts and GMs) is how picks 10-35 aren't that far apart. But you guys read a scouting report online and suddenly are pros.

It's not like Foote was an off-the-board pick, and it's not like we passed on a surefire stud. He was one of about 10 guys who were in that range.

Here's the thing, Yzerman and Murray talk about how defenders who can skate are important yet they pick the worst skating one of Foote, Brannstrom, Valimaki and Liljegren who were the next 4 picks. His skating isn't poor in any way but he needs to work on it for sure.

Kelowna is a really good program for developing defenders so I expect they'll get him ready for us. We don't draft Swedes so no chance we were taking those two so it was either Foote or Valimaki since both in the CHL. Sergachev being a lefty I quests they went with the righty but Sergachev plays the right side so maybe they send him back to Windsor to play the left next year.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Read again what Yzerman said, Foote "filled a big hole." I was barely being serious.

Ps: Talking about annoying people: Tone your lecture down a little bit would you. This kind of tone is completely unnecessary.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I like this pick the more I think about it. Solid. Much better pick than high reward Tony d. And where did that get us? Another year back in development, and he got shipped off again.

I like the high reward/high risk picks too. But you also have to sprinkle in some safe picks too sometimes.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
You're welcome to come aboard! There's a few ceremonial rites you'll have to go thru in order to officially be on the bandwagon, but they're relatively harmless :naughty:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I like this pick the more I think about it. Solid. Much better pick than high reward Tony d. And where did that get us? Another year back in development, and he got shipped off again.

I like the high reward/high risk picks too. But you also have to sprinkle in some safe picks too sometimes.

I (hope) think we won't be picking this high for awhile. Boom/bust shouldn't be what we're looking for at that pick.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It's pretty lame. NBCSN's info screen said his comparable player was his dad. That's the best they could do? Compare him to a guy they say he doesn't compare all that well to?

also, did you know that Jeff Skinner used to be a figure skater?

:laugh:

Did you know Skinner was also once the youngest player in the NHL?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
yzerman drafts character guys or wants too why tony d got shipped he was given chance proved he can never play defense and shipped cause of character if he had the right character he would probably still be here my two cents

next is hockey iq and smarts

those are the big 3 to yzerman sometimes he swings for fences IE: tony d and lets the questionable go for talent we saw this but more often he will take the safe route a foote

Hose skating can be fixed and taught we got barb that is what yzerman thinks so if he has character and iq and smarts? Well the rest is easy peasy to fix

I want to also reitterate if is no issues for a player all around good they always say skating can use work

So foote is worst skater in this draft? I dont see that but ok :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad