Prospect Info: 2017 14th Overall Pick | D Cal Foote

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
One things for sure.. our first round picks have been bad since SY has been here. Vasi is the exception, not the rule.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't like it because with the sole exception of Sergachev we are chalk full of "solid and we should be excited to have him" players on defense. Masin, Cernak and Koekkoek will be lucky if they ever score 15 points in a season. Foote and Hajek I think may have a little more promise but I'm reluctant to predict what they can do until they impress me more. My criticism comes from the fact that it's just more and more and more of the same damn thing we've already had in guys like Coburn and Garrison. And in a few years it's going to do absolutely nothing to help get more point production from the defense.

I don't dislike Foote at all. He should be a solid NHL player. But I'll be damned if our defensive prospect pool was EVER gonna have game-breaking talent if it were not for Misha Sergachev.

Sustr scored 21 points in a season, getting 15 points shouldn't be that hard.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
cut.jpg

Poor kid was given a Killorn jersey.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sustr scored 21 points in a season, getting 15 points shouldn't be that hard.

Hose you might have one of the sharpest minds out of all of us. But I'm gonna give you the same response that I always will from now on when you get started about Sustr.

Ladies and gentlemen..... MR. CONWAY TWITTY!

Sorry bruh

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Oh good. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a 5 year project like Koekkoek

The reason it's taken Koekkoek so long is because Yzerman traded for Garrison and Coburn which blocked his path a bit. He played in the NHL his 3rd year after being drafted, he didn't cement a spot but it didn't take 5 years before he made the show like Dotchin.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
This is exactly what I told you guys a couple days ago even before Garrision was traded. They are trying to get a future dman. Now im not Sure Foote his dad hell yeah but the kid im not too sure. Will see, I understand the logic behind what Y is doin trying to balance for the future. And yeah there are many names in the pipeline on D not sure any are top 4. At 14 there should have been a guy that has that potential but again we will see if lil Foote can.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How does he fill a need? Dotchin, Blujus, Thomas, Cernak, Spencer and MacLeod are all big right handed shots. That's 6 right there, on the left, Sergachev, Koekkoek, Hajek, Masin, Walcott and Zuhlsdorf. Don't think either side is that much better than the orther to say we need a RD more than a left. We needed a center, Howden, Cirelli, Peca, Paquette, Sommpi and Lohin. We need some serious talent upgrade in that department. I guess with the way the board fell there was no center worth picking at 14 but we could've traded back and got a center or LD and some extra assets.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
You honestly still think Johnathan MacLeod is a viable prospect in this organization? The kid can only get ice time by shoveling snow from the crease and the boards at practice for crying out loud

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You honestly still think Johnathan MacLeod is a viable prospect in this organization? The kid can only get ice time by shoveling snow from the crease and the boards at practice for crying out loud

No, but neither is Walcott, Zuhlsdorf, Sommpi or Paquette most likely. So taking those players out makes the right side look deeper than the left or down the middle.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
No, but neither is Walcott, Zuhlsdorf, Sommpi or Paquette most likely. So taking those players out makes the right side look deeper than the left or down the middle.

But the center and LD positions are the deepest on the Big Club Roster AND the prospect roster from lines 1-3 and 1-5 on D. So I'm not sure what your point is

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Foote is 1 of the 13 dmen invites to Canada's summer national junior team camp. Of the 13, 4 are 2017 draft eligible players: Foote, Makar, Timmins, and Hague.

Timmins & Hague are still available for day 2 of the draft.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I thought there were better higher upside picks as well on the board, but I will wait and give this kid a real chance.

Remember Draft Day 2 in 2015? We were all kind of "pissed" by all those boring future 4th lines after round 3. We would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder out of it. Now look at those low ceiling guys today.. Yzerman already brought up Cirellis name as a potential callup this season him and Joseph could easily become 2nd line forwards now.

Or that kid called Ben Thomas, neither of us (except Hose I think) liked him as a junior player and I even questioned, wether we should sign him.. One pro year later and he likely is the first RD callup for next season, surpassing Blujus and Co on the fly. Why? Just because he is one of the few guys that has not taken the suppossed step back when entering the pro rank.

Cal Foote is one of the savest bets to become an NHLer out of the draft IMO. The question ist how far he can go.. And I think upside is there, wether he reaches it, we will see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->