Prospect Info: 2017 14th Overall Pick | D Cal Foote

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Foote is a fine player imo, but man it's just such a boring pick. I wanted a high upside guy.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Did we fire Jon cooper where is he at tonight?

giphy.gif

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Sergachev is going to be a RD than Foote as a 2nd pair defender isn't a bad projection. Expecting him to be anything more than a #3 we'll be disappointed. Needs to improve his skating but has better offensive instincts than you think for a kid his size. 3 years out for sure but with a few RD much closer we can be patient.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I would much rather take the gamble on Liljegren's potential.

Where this league is heading, you need skating and Liljegren is a top 3 skater in the draft.

Foote dropped for a reason (Liljegren too I guess but for injury concern). Foote dropped because he wasn't as good as people thought. He was just big and son of a former a really good NHL player, which goes a far way before team's get into scouting them properly.

Hope I'm proved wrong but I doubt it.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I think someone already said it, but this is a very boring pick, but it also feels safe. I think that is a good thing given our recent poor picks in the first round. Foote is a solidly rated player who will need to grow and mature but will have the time to do so. I like the choice. Maybe there were higher upside players available, but it's such a crapshot at the draft. Higher upside may not mean anything in two years.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I don't know why you all don't like the pick.
Sure, he wasn't the first guy I wanted either, but he is solid and we should be excited to have him.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
wasn't the pick which I wanted but still is a good choice, for everyone saying the leafs got a better player find it hard to believe how they did. Foote is going to be sick.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Commentators talking about Adam Foote being his father is the new "something something did you know ben bishop is 6'7''?"

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't know why you all don't like the pick.
Sure, he wasn't the first guy I wanted either, but he is solid and we should be excited to have him.

I don't like it because with the sole exception of Sergachev we are chalk full of "solid and we should be excited to have him" players on defense. Masin, Cernak and Koekkoek will be lucky if they ever score 15 points in a season. Foote and Hajek I think may have a little more promise but I'm reluctant to predict what they can do until they impress me more. My criticism comes from the fact that it's just more and more and more of the same damn thing we've already had in guys like Coburn and Garrison. And in a few years it's going to do absolutely nothing to help get more point production from the defense.

I don't dislike Foote at all. He should be a solid NHL player. But I'll be damned if our defensive prospect pool was EVER gonna have game-breaking talent if it were not for Misha Sergachev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad