Golf: 149th Open Championship - July 15-July 18

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Rahm is +800 while the next closest is Koepka at +1800, which is one of the more substantial gaps I can remember. Rahm is definitely the clear favourite.

But, that being said, I like Big Brooks. With Jordan as a close second.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Royal St. George's in 2011 was also the point where I think people started to really start asking questions about DJ, after he went OB with like 4 holes left. So this is a truly historic venue.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I usually try to be objective about who can win and not pick my favorite golfers to win every major, but I think this week I'm going to take Jordan to win. Good course fit. He's played well in the majors this year with some very untimely bad putting weeks. If thats better this week, I think he’ll win his second Claret Jug.

I also would not rule out Justin Thomas. He's had a lot of trouble on links, but he's rounding into form and will figure out how to play links golf eventually.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Rahm is +800 while the next closest is Koepka at +1800, which is one of the more substantial gaps I can remember. Rahm is definitely the clear favourite.

But, that being said, I like Big Brooks. With Jordan as a close second.

While statistically you're right about Rahm being the favourite, he has only one decent finish so far in an Open at T11 out of four events he's played in. Due to that, I bring him down just a bit. Also this course is a whole different beast and because of that I think it's more up in the air.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Royal St. George's gets a bad reputation because its considered quirky with some of the bounces you'll get and doesn't have the best history of Open winners, but everything you read is that it's generally considered a really good golf course with excellent architecture, and it requires a lot of shot-making and decision-making about the shots you need to hit. It seems like it's a very misunderstood golf course to the public and the most underrated of the Open courses. Thats what I've gathered. I'm looking forward to this tournament.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Royal St. George's gets a bad reputation because its considered quirky with some of the bounces you'll get and doesn't have the best history of Open winners, but everything you read is that it's generally considered a really good golf course with excellent architecture, and it requires a lot of shot-making and decision-making about the shots you need to hit. It seems like it's a very misunderstood golf course to the public and the most underrated of the Open courses. Thats what I've gathered. I'm looking forward to this tournament.

Back in 2011, Luke Donald described the challenge of Royal St George’s. He said, “As I’ve said before, there’s very few tournaments we play where the golf is anything even similar to this. You know, it’s a different set of circumstances, different grasses, different shots. You’re having to manipulate the ball a lot more, really control it, and especially when you get windy conditions like we had today, it’s a challenge. It’s not just standing up there and kind of swinging away; there’s a lot more thought to it and a lot more control of the golf ball that’s needed, and I think this is a tough one to win at.”

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bryson needs to learn how to adopt a back up strategy. His strategy has no chance on courses where positioning and angles matter and you can’t hit it as far as you can and then go find it.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Bryson was +3500 to win this week which is offensive for a player of his caliber - and yet I still thought it wasn't a good bet because of the course fit. Glad to have stayed off of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->