Golf: 147th Open Championship at Carnoustie Golf Links - July 19-22

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A change of fortunes from the US Open so far. :nod: Tiger only 6 back going into the weekend, and Jordan only 3 back. Both are in it.

Tiger is playing very conservative golf off the tee. I get the strategy. You aren't confident in your ability to avoid OB left, the burn, the many fairway bunkers, so its not a bad strategy to stay in it. I just think at some point he's going to need to be a little more aggressive. This is the same strategy he used the last time he contended at the Open, at Muirfield, and I thought he lost that tournament because he didn't play aggressive enough when in contention. A top 10-15 finish doesn't matter. Tiger needs to take out the driver, and start giving himself some shorter clubs into greens. Not out of it in the least bit. But I figure he'll likely need at least a combined -5 the next two rounds.

Jordan's playing decent golf. The putting is back to what it was last year, and its been that way the last 3-4 events, even though the media hasn't caught up on that yet. Yesterday he made some many dumb errors up the last couple of holes. Today he was more aggressive off the tee, and scrambled his way to a good score. Needs to hit more fairways than he hit today, although some of that was hitting more club off the tee today. The shot up the last was as tough of a shot as it gets and he hit it 350 down the middle. Needs to do that more often this weekend. He's in it. 3 back.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Sucks that Pat was getting himself back into the tournament before gagging down the stretch. At least he fared better than 3 out of the top 5 in OWGR.

Tiger is in it. I expect the winning score should probably be -7/-8/-9 so it's tough but not impossible.

I definitely like Kisner's chances the best right now, from what I've seen he's played the best of anybody so far. He already cut his teeth at the PGA last year where he was leading wire to wire until the back 9 on Sunday, so while he doesn't have many good major results he does have the all-important experience being in contention.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Lots of good players lurking around par, heck the worst scores to make the cut are/were just 9 shots back. Will be interesting to see who makes a charge today.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two 6's and a 7 on the course. 10 or more will be leading by the end of the day. Tomorrow should be more difficult. I say around ten will likely get it done for the week, but you don't want to be trying to make up ground in the wind tomorrow, so you really need to be at 7 or 8 by the end of the day to have a good chance.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Reed keeps putting together great rounds, only to have them flushed away by the last 4 holes. He would be at -7 if he'd just played 15/16/17/18 in even par this week. Very sad.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Lots of good players lurking around par, heck the worst scores to make the cut are/were just 9 shots back. Will be interesting to see who makes a charge today.
Justin Rose accepted your challenge. Made it right in the number yesterday, and shot a 64 today to get it to 4 under overall.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Another bird for Tiger, and is down to -2. Probably needs to shoot 66 or so to be in it tomorrow.

Jan 3, 2012
Man why are the leaders telling off at 4pm UK time? Shitty cause now watching will take the entire day. Was hoping they would go off earlier.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Wow!!! Jordan drives the green on 1!

About a 10 footer for eagle to start the day.

Tiger bringing out the big stick now. Feeling it

Reactions: ecemleafs

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
This is gonna be a fun day. Gonna miss some of it though. Gonna go try and get a few holes in before the rain sets in for the next 10 days

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Justin Rose accepted your challenge. Made it right in the number yesterday, and shot a 64 today to get it to 4 under overall.

I really don't see any way thats going to be good enough. He'd need like a 65 in wind tomorrow. I don't think thats in the cards. If you aren't at least 7 or 8 by the end of the day, you probably aren't going to win. This is a bunched leaderboard, so we aren't talking about 1 or 2 guys who could drop, and then it brings everyone else in. There are a lot of players around the same number who all face easy conditions today. Its unlikely that there won't be a number of players near 10 under.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I really don't see any way thats going to be good enough. He'd need like a 65 in wind tomorrow. I don't think thats in the cards. If you aren't at least 7 or 8 by the end of the day, you probably aren't going to win. This is a bunched leaderboard, so we aren't talking about 1 or 2 guys who could drop, and then it brings everyone else in. There are a lot of players around the same number who all face easy conditions today. Its unlikely that there won't be a number of players near 10 under.
I wasn't saying he was going to have a chance, he basically had the entire field to pass, just agreeing that someone would go low today. A lot of people are going low today. This doesn't feel like an Open right now

Tiger!!!!! Another birdie, 3 in a row, one back!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->