Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
bc_11_dennis_busby_ep.jpg

POSITION:DefensemanSHOOTS:Right
HEIGHT:5' 10"WEIGHT:188
BORN:January 6, 2000
BORN IN:Richmond Hill, ON, CAN
DRAFTED:2018: ARI (5th Round / 145th Overall)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Greetings loyal Yotes fans, if I may barge in, I have a write up for Busby if it's of interest. Not a player I thought would go this time around. There was interest on the floor for him...there were several teams that had no interest. I had breakfast with one OHL GM the other day and we talked about Busby, and we both agreed with a hesitant sigh...it's just so tough, because you only get two years doing it like this. If you wait, you get a little more flexibility but with that inherent risk...tough spot.

Shameless self promotion.

Dennis Busby (Flint [OHL], #11, RHS RD) - Very mobile, offensive-minded defenseman. Terrific multi-directional skating prowess with an effortless stride. Works well moving laterally and has very good edgework. Needs to add to his leg strength and overall strength, as his frame is still below average even for the junior level. He's knocked off his skates too often as a result. Can just about carry it across one line and has the upside to be a multi-line carrier at the junior level. Shows the ability to make quick decisions with the puck on his stick. His outlet passing is a plus, as is his support of rushes in the NZ. Is more aggressive offensively than a player of his experience might lead on. Still raw in a lot respects, he can get caught too far up ice on the breakout or make a wild pinch to compound his problems. His defensive game is still very green. He takes fairly lazy loops when switching off men and in general doesn't have very much urgency in the DZ. He's easy to play against both in terms of strength and in terms of style. Though he does gap up pretty well against rush chances and he has above average hockey sense at the least. His defensive woes appear to be based more on a lack of experience than a lack of smarts - so it looks salvageable. Losing his draft season is always a crucial loss and takes a big bite out of an otherwise steep development arc, moreover, his lack of physical maturity is also further jeopardy as shoulder injuries are always rough to return from even in a 12-month window. For a team with an extra 6 or extra 7, it might be worth rolling the dice on a right-handed d-man with this level of mobility and potential offensive acumen before he improves his draft stock tremendously in his D+1 year like Joey Keane.

Hockey Sense: B-
Skating speed/power/acc: B+
Skating lateral/edges/agility: A
Vision: B+
Puck skills: B
Shot: C-
Defense technique: C-
Defense urgency: D
Frame/size: D
Ceiling/Risk: Mid-high/High (late round/ND)

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Awesome writeup, Mike Farkas, thank you for the details.

Right shot, great skater, offensive skills, recognized sleeper ... I like all these things.

Reactions: RABBIT

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Congrats to Denis on finally getting into game action. 2 apples in his 1st game...and he was the 2nd star of the game.

He sure has had some tough luck with injuries. Only his 3rd game in 2 seasons.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Was in Michigan this weekend and got to see Busby and Liam Kirk at the Flint / Peterborough game.

Busby looked pretty good, smooth skater, looked confident on the puck and made good passes. Didn't notice him defensively, but Flint just got ran over the whole game and it all looked pretty ugly in their own zone. Biggest knock that stood out was how often Busby got hit by Pboro forecheckers. Hard to tell whether he was taking too long or his forwards just weren't open (because they weren't) but either way he got hit solidly 4 or 5 times.

Caveat: I was drinking a lot and talking to my aunt and cousin a lot, so this is hardly authoritative. Not that anything I ever say is authoritative.

Flint lost 6:2, but one guy who covered himself in individual glory was their 1C Ty Dellandrea. Dallas, 2018 13 OA, big, strong, skillful, dude's a beast. Keep an eye out, he'll almost certainly be waiting for us in Texas when the Coyotes move to the Central Division in a couple years.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Was in Michigan this weekend and got to see Busby and Liam Kirk at the Flint / Peterborough game.

Busby looked pretty good, smooth skater, looked confident on the puck and made good passes. Didn't notice him defensively, but Flint just got ran over the whole game and it all looked pretty ugly in their own zone. Biggest knock that stood out was how often Busby got hit by Pboro forecheckers. Hard to tell whether he was taking too long or his forwards just weren't open (because they weren't) but either way he got hit solidly 4 or 5 times.

Caveat: I was drinking a lot and talking to my aunt and cousin a lot, so this is hardly authoritative. Not that anything I ever say is authoritative.

Flint lost 6:2, but one guy who covered himself in individual glory was their 1C Ty Dellandrea. Dallas, 2018 13 OA, big, strong, skillful, dude's a beast. Keep an eye out, he'll almost certainly be waiting for us in Texas when the Coyotes move to the Central Division in a couple years.

How was Kirk?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I might have had Dellandrea ahead of Hayton. I think I had Dellandrea crazy high like 11th or 12th or something. I liked the pick for Dallas at the time.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

Thanks brotha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad