#140 Cole Candella

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
#77 for our Draft list.

Candella is a tough player to rank, as he was limited to just 37 games this season due to a wrist injury. When he did play, he was the Bulldogs top defenceman, playing big minutes and in all situations. Candella scored four goals and 20 points for Hamilton, while also being tasked with playing against the opponents number one line. He is a good skater, with strong edgework and pivots. He has great mobility in both directions, that really helps him be a two-way player. Candella has good stickhandling ability, and can skate the puck away from fore checkers and out of danger. He is also a very good passer, both in starting the transition game and acting as a power play quarterback.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/19/2016-nhl-draft-scouting-reports-players-76-80/

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Forgetting the points, I always like taking prospects who are THE guys on their team. Sounds like Candella is a big minute guy for Hamilton.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
This is a literally who for me, never seen him play. Seems like a reasonable pick though.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Candella is a second year defender who has really stepped up in [Lemcke’s] absence to take control of a young defense corps. A jack of all trades kind of defender, Candella has been showing a lot more offensively in recent weeks, and as his confidence grows, so will the production. With good size and a well-rounded skill set, he’s certainly a candidate for a top three round selection.

-Brock Otten

It's not a bad thing to invest on a guy who's a) been injured so his stats have taken a dive because of that, and b) at the same time has thrived with added responsibility on his team.

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sounds good to me. If there's one thing this team does well, and there might only be one thing, it's drafting 5th round defensemen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seems reasonable. I've never seen him play.

Some scouting reports question his hockey sense, which is a concern.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
``Candella is a second year defender who has really stepped up in [Lemcke’s] absence to take control of a young defense corps. A jack of all trades kind of defender, Candella has been showing a lot more offensively in recent weeks, and as his confidence grows, so will the production. With good size and a well-rounded skill set, he’s certainly a candidate for a top three round selection.

Brock Otten, OHL Prospects``

Yea.. Looks like we got a faller. I`ve read he`d expect to go late 3rd, early 4th, so nice to see at 5th.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I was convinced a team would have seen enough of Candella in the first half to take him top 75. I can't imagine there are too many D in this draft with his combination of size and skating. Excellent value pick for the Canucks and a guy that could really rise up the charts with a healthy +1 season.

Tank

May 9, 2012
Langley
Fifth round Ontario magic - Corrado - Huton - Candella - trifecta!! Overall a good draft IMO. Cupboards are being restocked especially like our D going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad