GDT: #14| Montreal Canadiens @ New York Islanders | November 5th | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 SOL

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes. What I don’t understand is the Isles are at the top of the league for team PDO which is supposed to be some measurement of luck? Why does this apply to the Islanders but not league leading Nashville?

The Isles are at the bottom of the league in Corsi and Fenwick though.
That's what PDO is supposed to show. Corsi and Fenwick say we should be on the bottom. Points (wins) say we should be near the top. PDO says we're not where we should be, so it must be luck. The farther away you are from where the fancy stats say you should be, the higher or lower your PDO is.

I think it's mainly for people who are bored with blaming the refs for their team not winning.

Reactions: mattyboy

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I'm not too worried about this PDO thing. I'm sure Trotz will hold a team meeting and tell the boys that even though they're winning they need to improve their PDO numbers to quell the resistance on the HF main board.

I know you are kidding, but the problem according to some is the Isles PDO numbers are too good :) which means when they drop so will the Isles.

They have approx 11% shooting percentage and goalies have a 94% save percentage for 105 PDO. Both are great and high. I guess one thing that stands out for me is they have a low shots for per game. I find myself often thinking they should shoot more. Especially #13.

One key point is the Isles PDO was middle of the pack overall last season with a Top 5 shooting percentage at 9.4 and below average save percentage at 90.9.

Pretty interesting stuff.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I know you are kidding, but the problem according to some is the Isles PDO numbers are too good :) which means when they will drop and so will the Isles.

They have approx 11% shooting percentage and goalies have a 94% save percentage for 105 PDO. Both are great and high. I guess one thing that stands out for me is they have a low shots for per game. I find myself often thinking they should shoot more. Especially #13.

One key point is the Isles PDO was middle of the pack overall last season with an above average Top 5 shooting percentage at 9.4 and below average save percentage at 90.9.

Pretty interesting stuff.
I mentioned this on the main board, but if you recall before the season Trotz said that he puts more emphasis on quality of shots for/against as opposed to quantity. That could result in poor PDO numbers even if they're playing the way the coach wants them to. In other words, what kind of shots are we getting, and what kind of shots are the opponents getting?

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Are there stats showing that we're getting outchanced in "high quality" shots too?

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I think it's safe to say that our goalies will regress at least somewhat. They have been playing incredibly. I do hope though that as that regresses our overall team play improves as Trotz gets a better feel for the roster and players get a better feel for the system. Hopefully, improved play will negate any PDO regression.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
No there are fancy charts for that, but the low Corsi and low Fenwick show we are clearly getting out-chanced in general and on-par with last season. The difference from last season is our goalies improved save % and 4 lines contributing more and better penalty killing in my opinion.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Barzal Vs Kotka

We're also working on stopping scoring chances from danger areas which probably explains some of the success

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I watched TB v MTL the other night and the Habs strike me as team much like the Isles (except Isles fans know that their sh*t does actually stink). They're out to prove that they are better than people think they are and, despite the loss to TB, from what I saw and what their record indicates, they are. I think this has the potential to be one of the more spirited games of the year. Two squads with huge chips on their shoulders going at it. Hope our fans will make the BC rock - I mean as much as that rathole can rock, anyway. (Had to go to RI or I'd be there. Gave my tix to my lawyer buddy who doesn't know sh*t about hockey. He's taking his kid but I think he thinks he's going to a basketball game. Sports are not really his thing.)

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Another embarrassing attendance looking at the ticketmaster interactive chart, but yea I am sure there are hundreds of thousands of people waiting to get a ticket once they return to the Island as attendance was always so great there

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
What is the over/under on those imbeciles at Barclays screaming "USA, USA" if the Isles jump ahead.
C'mon... You've actually heard that? I never have and I've been to a handful vs Canadian teams.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Heading to the Barc now, hopefully a nice stress free game..wondering what the attendance might be.. :sarcasm:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Love when I'm off and get to watch my two favorite teams play on the same night. I'm hoping for 2-0 with the Cowboys being the other winner!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad