GDT: #14| Montreal Canadiens @ New York Islanders | November 5th | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 SOL

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Trotz said it best, “we played about 5 minutes in each of the 3 periods. The Canadians deserved to win. Worst game of the season.”

I know it was a bad game, but how awesome is to have a coach that says things like that?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Our top 6 needs a kick in the butt, not the bottom 6. Bottom 6 has been fairly consistent through the season up until now. Last year when we had an invisible 3rd line and an ok 4th line, not much happened. Now we have a guy that ca win faceoffs, better 2-way wingers...maybe not fast, but the fast players mostly play on the top 6 and the checkers play the bottom 6 (for the most part).

The major difference now is that while we gained in the bottom 6, we lost in the top 6...and the reason we were doing better last year was that we had a double threat...now we have a single threat.....that makes it easier for teams to shut the top 6 down and the KEY reason is Nelson. He's not a horrible player and he is playing so much better this year (thus far)....but he is NOT a fit for this team....he was the reason for the failed 3rd line and he is the reason Lee and Bailey have to pick up the slack. He's just a filler...that's ALL he is. He adds NOTHING to the line.

Ok...I'm not complaining..we are playing well so far, but if we can improve at the top 6 centre position, we'd be a playoff team..we'd be 1 level above bubble team.

I saw the call for Carter, but Carter to me is a "win now" trade because he only has a few years left of good play (I say 4 years tops). Duchene is the perfect fit....He's a rich man's Filppula....he wins faceoffs...great 2-way..absolutely perfect. We need someone that can be here for 8-10 years..

As for Wahlstrom being in the lineup next year...doubt it . We are so loaded on wing...even if we ship 2-3 out, there is no room and the system LL runs..he'll be up in like 3-4 years. He's not even doing well in NCAA, so he's not forcing anyone's hand.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Not sure if the Isles need to do a better job of keeping up or slowing things down...or both. Last night reminded me of the start of the 3rd period with the Pens, too much scrambling and problems with a speedy forecheck, something I'm sure they'll try to improve. And yeah it's good they came away with a point but with a 2 goal lead in the 3rd I think this game was winnable in regulation. Build on the positives and learn from the mistakes and keep moving forward.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
After reading a few pages of this thread I know I'm in the minority here but I still think this is a rebuilding year. I am concerned much of the early success is due to the new coach factor. I'm all for winning as many games as possible. I just think the Isles are playing over their heads so far. As the season progresses I expect the Isles will struggle against teams with good speed. There will be some nights the Isles size is effective but I expect it generally not to be. The LA Kings style of play that won the cup doesn't work well these days. Beau needs to play through his growing pains. He is the one left wing we have with enough speed to play with Barzal. I don't like the idea of putting a slow wing on Barzal's line. I don't expect that would help. I would like to see JHS, Toews, and MDC up by Jan 1. Hickey and Eberle should be moved to open roster spots.

LGI

Reactions: Jester9881

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
It's a good counter-argument, though I think the Devils had the kind of game against us that we had against the Habs last night. In watching the totality of our play through the streak, with the exception of the Philly game, there were many stretches where we played like we did last night. I also think as teams go through the league and play each other adjustments are made. We really had no answer for what MTL was bringing last night and I think that the league will take note, particularly that same kind of aggressive forecheck, even on their PK, was stifling us completely. We couldn't break it even on the PP. We will see more of it and I don't know if we have the horses to beat it..

As was noted, Montreal is among the fastest teams on ice in the league and that showed. The Isles had no answers, but we have a coach that has answers and hopefully the Islanders players are listening.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
It's a good counter-argument, though I think the Devils had the kind of game against us that we had against the Habs last night. In watching the totality of our play through the streak, with the exception of the Philly game, there were many stretches where we played like we did last night. I also think as teams go through the league and play each other adjustments are made. We really had no answer for what MTL was bringing last night and I think that the league will take note, particularly that same kind of aggressive forecheck, even on their PK, was stifling us completely. We couldn't break it even on the PP. We will see more of it and I don't know if we have the horses to beat it..

I think the Isles just took Habs lightly after having a 3-1 lead, guys like Nelson and Lee were less effective and most of the chances were going to Barzal's line where Beau got in the way... Also Isles 3 dman will be upgraded in abilities as the year progresses, expect Pulock and Pelech to be above average and Mayfield to be average

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Our top 6 needs a kick in the butt, not the bottom 6. Bottom 6 has been fairly consistent through the season up until now. Last year when we had an invisible 3rd line and an ok 4th line, not much happened. Now we have a guy that ca win faceoffs, better 2-way wingers...maybe not fast, but the fast players mostly play on the top 6 and the checkers play the bottom 6 (for the most part).

The major difference now is that while we gained in the bottom 6, we lost in the top 6...and the reason we were doing better last year was that we had a double threat...now we have a single threat.....that makes it easier for teams to shut the top 6 down and the KEY reason is Nelson. He's not a horrible player and he is playing so much better this year (thus far)....but he is NOT a fit for this team....he was the reason for the failed 3rd line and he is the reason Lee and Bailey have to pick up the slack. He's just a filler...that's ALL he is. He adds NOTHING to the line.

Ok...I'm not complaining..we are playing well so far, but if we can improve at the top 6 centre position, we'd be a playoff team..we'd be 1 level above bubble team.

I saw the call for Carter, but Carter to me is a "win now" trade because he only has a few years left of good play (I say 4 years tops). Duchene is the perfect fit....He's a rich man's Filppula....he wins faceoffs...great 2-way..absolutely perfect. We need someone that can be here for 8-10 years..

As for Wahlstrom being in the lineup next year...doubt it . We are so loaded on wing...even if we ship 2-3 out, there is no room and the system LL runs..he'll be up in like 3-4 years. He's not even doing well in NCAA, so he's not forcing anyone's hand.

Carter is a pure winner and Duchene is a pure loser, a guy like Carter and the Isles makes a cup run assuming Pelech and Pulock continue their meteoric gains and Mayfield continues his modest gains and Leddy finds his aorta, veins and anything related.

Bottom 6 is great, really a bottom 5 with a 4th line LW.. the top 6 is great too, a guy like Carter puts us in another sphere, he has a lot of what we are missing.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I think the Isles just took Habs lightly after having a 3-1 lead, guys like Nelson and Lee were less effective and most of the chances were going to Barzal's line where Beau got in the way... Also Isles 3 dman will be upgraded in abilities as the year progresses, expect Pulock and Pelech to be above average and Mayfield to be average
Agree with much of that, but even before we had 3-1 lead we looked like garbage. Some flashes of brilliance by the old men are what had us in it. And while our D core is progressing, so too will our opponents. And we won't be sneaking up on anybody either. If they didn't know before, they know now that BT knows how to get the most of his squad, undermanned though it is, IMO.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Carter is a pure winner and Duchene is a pure loser, a guy like Carter and the Isles makes a cup run assuming Pelech and Pulock continue their meteoric gains and Mayfield continues his modest gains and Leddy finds his aorta, veins and anything related.

Bottom 6 is great, really a bottom 5 with a 4th line LW.. the top 6 is great too, a guy like Carter puts us in another sphere, he has a lot of what we are missing.

Carter does not give the Isles a shot at the cup. He's signed 3 more years after this with a 5.2 Million dollar cap hit as well.. The Islanders need a better blue line to make a cup run, with a 2C or not.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Carter does not give the Isles a shot at the cup. He's signed 3 more years after this with a 5.2 Million dollar cap hit as well.. The Islanders need a better blue line to make a cup run, with a 2C or not.
I don't think anyone was really thinking it was going to happen, particularly at that cap hit and his age. Pretty sure the original poster was just highlighting the type of player that would be a good compliment to Barzy. Which he would.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't think anyone was really thinking it was going to happen, particularly at that cap hit and his age. Pretty sure the original poster was just highlighting the type of player that would be a good compliment to Barzy. Which he would.

More or less, that would be the type of guy that we need next to him, actual blueprint

Reactions: pursuit81

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Agree with much of that, but even before we had 3-1 lead we looked like garbage. Some flashes of brilliance by the old men are what had us in it. And while our D core is progressing, so too will our opponents. And we won't be sneaking up on anybody either. If they didn't know before, they know now that BT knows how to get the most of his squad, undermanned though it is, IMO.

I think Pulock and Pelech will grow at a rate that is much faster than league will catch up to them, both have high ceilings... Mayfield less but he can be the Gordie Lane

Reactions: pursuit81

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Even during the winning streak, they struggled noticeably with turnovers in their own end. A fast high pressure team like Montreal easily exploited that. Whether its personnel or structure, Isles need to do a much better job in their own end, or failure is inevitable.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
i think JHS, MDC and Toews have all earned a call up.

the problem with JHS in the top 6, is that we are already too soft there. we need some size and grit in our top 6. i look forward to, in a few years, seeing Bellows and Wahlstrom there.

maybe, with Fil, Nelson and Eberle gone next year, we see...

Lee-Barzal-Wahlstrom
Bellows-Beau-Bailey

Let’s see how Whal does his D+1 before penciling him into the top line. He’s off to a slow start at BC.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Let’s see how Whal does his D+1 before penciling him into the top line. He’s off to a slow start at BC.
well, unless LL picks up a vet RW, we won't have many options (keeping in mind that my goal was to have a bigger, stronger, top 6).

and, i am of the mindset that we will probably slow down this season, and i expect a sell-off, and the youth coming in strong. i want to see Wahlstrom and Dobson given lots of ice time.

2nd tier of Bellows, MDC, JHS and Toews, work their way in as well.

i am just assuming that we won't draw the interest of many a UFA. i can see LL trying to add pieces, but i don't think that the team will be a desired destination.

not yet, but soon.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Had the displeasure of being there; at least the smashed knish at Graze was outstanding (the burger, not so much). As was said in another context completely, speed kills.

I do believe that Greisser kept the Isles in the game but you just cannot go to that well that often.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Canadiens are a very improved team this year. They play fast and may be surprisingly very skilled to some. Tough game for 2 improved teams this year.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
well, unless LL picks up a vet RW, we won't have many options (keeping in mind that my goal was to have a bigger, stronger, top 6).

and, i am of the mindset that we will probably slow down this season, and i expect a sell-off, and the youth coming in strong. i want to see Wahlstrom and Dobson given lots of ice time.

2nd tier of Bellows, MDC, JHS and Toews, work their way in as well.

i am just assuming that we won't draw the interest of many a UFA. i can see LL trying to add pieces, but i don't think that the team will be a desired destination.

not yet, but soon.

We’ll have to see where Whal is in a year, but I’m not banking on him being a contributing top 6’er next season. Maybe Bellows needs another year at Bridge?

I think LL is aggressive next summer; this isn’t Garth Snow recruiting.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The hate is more about his cap hit than his actual play.

I get that he's over paid.... totally guilty of that. But the Islanders have the 5th lowest payroll in the league and about 11m in cap space. Cap space does not win games and Ladd is still a useful player. Getting rid of him because of cap when there isn't a problem with cap space is pointless unless you own the team and want to save more money.

I like Ladd a lot in the 3rd line role and scoring 22 goals would be awesome on "that" line.. but next to Barzal... that is for a different kind of player that probably is not on the roster or Bridgeport roster,

So we leave Beauvillier on that line who is on pace for 6 goals and adds nothing? Maybe there isn't a player in the system perfect for that spot.... but there is a player that has worked well there and compliments Eberle/Barzal and it so happens that there is someone who could step right into the 3rd line LW role and not skip a beat as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a 22 goal scorer in your top six if that person digs in the corners, plays solid two way hockey and plants himself in front of the net.

The game is too fast for him. If he can score 20(with 7 assists) on the third line, fine. JUST KEEP HIM THERE.

He's no slower than Anders Lee. People hate him because he didn't live up to ridiculous expectations and he's paid too much. The second line needs someone that can win corner battles, play two way hockey and stand in front of the net. Or it needs a complete re-shuffling which would ruin any chemistry that top line has built.

After reading a few pages of this thread I know I'm in the minority here but I still think this is a rebuilding year. I am concerned much of the early success is due to the new coach factor. I'm all for winning as many games as possible. I just think the Isles are playing over their heads so far. As the season progresses I expect the Isles will struggle against teams with good speed. There will be some nights the Isles size is effective but I expect it generally not to be. The LA Kings style of play that won the cup doesn't work well these days. Beau needs to play through his growing pains. He is the one left wing we have with enough speed to play with Barzal. I don't like the idea of putting a slow wing on Barzal's line. I don't expect that would help. I would like to see JHS, Toews, and MDC up by Jan 1. Hickey and Eberle should be moved to open roster spots.

LGI

This is absolutely a rebuilding year... maybe more of an evaluation year, even. I don't agree that they've played over their heads though... I believe they are capable of much better offense and better PP conversion rate. They just came off a big win streak in a young season so it looks like they're playing over their heads. I believe this is a 92-96 point team.

Beau does need to play to get out of his funk.... but he needs to do it in the AHL. He's getting pushed around out there and he's apprehensive, treating the puck like a grenade and going after pucks half heartedly. He's not going to break out of it in the NHL and certainly not on the line that gets all the attention. He needs to play top minutes against easier competition and he needs to build strength. He never should have been in the NHL so young in the first place., and it sends a bad message to guys like JHS and MDC who are out playing him right now.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He's no slower than Anders Lee. People hate him because he didn't live up to ridiculous expectations and he's paid too much. The second line needs someone that can win corner battles, play two way hockey and stand in front of the net. Or it needs a complete re-shuffling which would ruin any chemistry that top line has built.
I was not referring to skating speed. Ladd seems slow to react when the puck shows up in his vicinity. Or, he rushes to get rid of it, hitting the other team tape to tape. Our good corner guys, like Czikas & Lee, can ties the puck up for longer than Ladd's 1001, 1002. Not part of the solution, which is why he gets the hate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->