GDT: #14| Montreal Canadiens @ New York Islanders | November 5th | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 SOL

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I know we want the shooter, but I would call up JHS before MDC. Let MDC continue to gain confidence. JHS is already proven he can play up here and produce. I wouldnt be upset with either. Beau had proven to be extremely inconsistent. Most of his goals came in month last year and was pretty useless otherwise. He should be in the A right now and for an extended stay.

If you bring up JHS then your lines need to be:

Ho-Sang/Nelson/Bailey
Lee/Barzal/Eberle

If you bring up Dal Colle you just swap him and Beau. I think I'd rather bring up MDC and not affect two lines by bringing a guy up. If Ho-Sang has another big weekend then we can start talking about him.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
“We were awful,” the Islanders coach said to open his postgame news conference. “Plain and simple, the right team won tonight. No question that was our worst game of the year.”

NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR MY HEAD COACH!

He's totally right. They were garbage last night. I don't know how they escaped with a point.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i think JHS, MDC and Toews have all earned a call up.

the problem with JHS in the top 6, is that we are already too soft there. we need some size and grit in our top 6. i look forward to, in a few years, seeing Bellows and Wahlstrom there.

maybe, with Fil, Nelson and Eberle gone next year, we see...

Lee-Barzal-Wahlstrom
Bellows-Beau-Bailey

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Beau, Barzal, and Eberle's line has been largely invisible this season.

Barzal and Eberle are passing well even with Beau doing literally nothing. If Beau played even a moderate game last night the Isles would have won. He has gone from doing very little to full-blown liability - I can't remember the last time someone regressed this badly after a successful season.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
You just got the 4th line firing on all cylinders again after 2 years and now you want to play a -player#18 in a spot he cannot even play(has no grit)...on the 4th line? Really?...Why do some people have this sort of mindset concerning hockey?

The bottom 6 have carried the load todate...screwing with these 2 lines is not the recipe for getting a Jr. type player to player better.

The team was losing 13 games a year with leads going into the third so to pad stats for an individual before ...yet some posters could not see it at the time....Do you suggest we do the same again, by undoing all the good to try and prop up an individual? Think team

NYI will and can win with defensive/hardnose/decent tending...not by padding stats for individuals.
A few Players need to buy in for success..less chicken in the barnyard.

I don't think the LW spot on the 4th line is going to suffer with Beau for a few games, in fact I can see him getting some goals on that line to get his confidence back, the 4th line has been good as an energy line and Beau has a lot of energy, he is far from wimpy, takes hits, not like we are putting JHS on that line.

And it is the 3rd line that I would not mess with that line is more of the difference maker in all aspects of the game, so taking Ladd off that line would really affect us.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Ever hear of Ryan Strome?

I was saying this in the Beauvillier thread but what worries me about Beauvillier is that he cannot hold onto the puck. Nobody must have worked with him and getting stronger and being able to hold onto that puck. For a first round pick with speed that has little size, it is worrisome to see the lack of puck control out of him. Gun to my head he will become the worst player out of MDC, JHS, and Bellows.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't think the LW spot on the 4th line is going to suffer with Beau for a few games, in fact I can see him getting some goals on that line to get his confidence back, the 4th line has been good as an energy line and Beau has a lot of energy, he is far from wimpy, takes hits, not like we are putting JHS on that line.

And it is the 3rd line that I would not mess with that line is more of the difference maker in all aspects of the game, so taking Ladd off that line would really affect us.

Another great post (I feel dirty saying that to you). You do not touch the second line and you do not touch the third line at this point in time. If and it is a HUGE IF MDC becomes the player we all expected him to be with Barzal and Eberle this team is going to make the playoffs this year. I have no doubt about that. They will struggle to do anything as of now with Beaeuvillier playing on that top line though. Johnston, Martin, and Clutterbuck can use days of rest and who knows maybe Cizikas and Beauvillier will gain some chemistry?

It took Bailey a while to learn how to score in the NHL, the same can be said for Beauvillier but we do not have time to figure that out on the main roster currently when multiple prospects are knocking on the door to play.

Reactions: majormet

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Another great post (I feel dirty saying that to you). You do not touch the second line and you do not touch the third line at this point in time. If and it is a HUGE IF MDC becomes the player we all expected him to be with Barzal and Eberle this team is going to make the playoffs this year. I have no doubt about that. They will struggle to do anything as of now with Beaeuvillier playing on that top line though. Johnston, Martin, and Clutterbuck can use days of rest and who knows maybe Cizikas and Beauvillier will gain some chemistry?

It took Bailey a while to learn how to score in the NHL, the same can be said for Beauvillier but we do not have time to figure that out on the main roster currently when multiple prospects are knocking on the door to play.

Glad you feel a bit dirty... actually I think all of our posts were inane during the Cappy/Weight era, it is like trying explain a movie with a bad script that passes for art.

Beau on the 4th line will work, because that line is not systematic at all, they are like a bull in a chinashop and with Beau he really is an impulse player and playing on the Barzal line is way too slowed down for him and he get anxious

If MDC or when MDC doesn't pan out, and we need to find that out before the deadline then we have to make a run at Jeff Carter, my thought process was that we may need a dman at the deadline but the D are gelling and we have some depth in the farm. Carter has a bad contract for sure, but last time he was acquired at the deadline lead to great dividends

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Ladd does everything Barzal/Eberle don't and that allows them to concentrate on gaining the zone, getting into position and generating shots on net.

dcv2002

Jun 22, 2006
Play shitty game. Still get a point. Gain a point on PIT. There are still positives. (3rd highest playoff PCT on sportsclubstats). But as with every Isles game (when the going is good), we all wonder is this where we fall of the cliff.......

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Ladd does everything Barzal/Eberle don't and that allows them to concentrate on gaining the zone, getting into position and generating shots on net.

Ladd doesn't finish well at all these days, and to take him away from his new role as 3rd line defensive forward on a line where he clicks well with his linemates would hurt the team in a large way.

At this point, Martin/Johnston can fill in, if Martin goes IR then you can bring up MDC and see how that goes.. ultimately LA has to be stink this year and we can bring Jeff Carter in there and he can snipe all day next to Barzal

Reactions: YearlyLottery

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Play ****ty game. Still get a point. Gain a point on PIT. There are still positives. (3rd highest playoff PCT on sportsclubstats). But as with every Isles game (when the going is good), we all wonder is this where we fall of the cliff.......

yes this would be that point if you have an AHL coach who can't get the team back together... Trotz will be rough on them for this game and expect a solid effort against the Bolts

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Ladd doesn't finish well at all these days, and to take him away from his new role as 3rd line defensive forward on a line where he clicks well with his linemates would hurt the team in a large way.

At this point, Martin/Johnston can fill in, if Martin goes IR then you can bring up MDC and see how that goes.. ultimately LA has to be stink this year and we can bring Jeff Carter in there and he can snipe all day next to Barzal

He's on pace for 22g playing mostly on the 3rd line and shooting 16.7% and the only time that line looked NHL level was when he was on it.

The hate around here for this guy is ridiculous.... Josh Bailey level even.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I’ll take the point. We were due for a stinker. Hopefully this was it. I’m sure Trotz will make the necessary adjustments.
I'm not trying to but I know I'm going to piss a lot of people off. I think the team we saw last night is more the team we are. Don't get me wrong, we're not as completely bad as we were last night, but we're also not nearly as good as we were last week and last night really exposed some of our glaring weaknesses. Those weaknesses were there when we were winning too but they were masked by unsustainable goaltending and some good puck luck.

Grit, hard work and excellent coaching will win us more games than our roster says we should win, but that can only get us so far. Depth of talent prevails and we don't have it yet.

Last edited:

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
He's on pace for 22g playing mostly on the 3rd line and shooting 16.7% and the only time that line looked NHL level was when he was on it.

The hate is more about his cap hit than his actual play.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I like Ladd a lot in the 3rd line role and scoring 22 goals would be awesome on "that" line.. but next to Barzal... that is for a different kind of player that probably is not on the roster or Bridgeport roster,

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'm not trying to but I know I'm going to piss a lot of people off. I think the team we saw last night is more the team we are. Don't get me wrong, we're not as completely bad as we were last night, but we're also not nearly as good as we were last week and last night really exposed some of our glaring weaknesses. Those weaknesses were there when we were winning too but they were masked by unsustainable goaltending and some good puck luck.

Grit, hard work and excellent coaching will win us more games than our roster says we should win, but that can only get us so far. Depth of talent prevails and we don't have it yet.

I like your points but I think we are the team against the Devils, not the overconfident cocky and reckless team we were last night against the Habs... we got the 3-1 lead and a power play and really went into cruise control after that...

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I like your points but I think we are the team against the Devils, not the overconfident cocky and reckless team we were last night against the Habs... we got the 3-1 lead and a power play and really went into cruise control after that...
It's a good counter-argument, though I think the Devils had the kind of game against us that we had against the Habs last night. In watching the totality of our play through the streak, with the exception of the Philly game, there were many stretches where we played like we did last night. I also think as teams go through the league and play each other adjustments are made. We really had no answer for what MTL was bringing last night and I think that the league will take note, particularly that same kind of aggressive forecheck, even on their PK, was stifling us completely. We couldn't break it even on the PP. We will see more of it and I don't know if we have the horses to beat it..

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Ever notice when a team is doing fine and 1 or 2 individuals are not some will pillage the whole process of winning...Dear god look at the past and the JT thingy the same posters pumped his tires relentlessly...
Some players make for a good team as a unit..some players do not...period..the bottom six are not bottom players they play a defensive aggressive physical game....they are not barnyard chickens running around...You want to win?.....play with the top 2 lines, if you don't fit there you don't fit pure and simple.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

The game is too fast for him. If he can score 20(with 7 assists) on the third line, fine. JUST KEEP HIM THERE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad