Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
original.gif
UpCp79Y.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Unless this is on somewhere at the wedding or the aftermath I'm gonna miss this.

I have a feeling it goess less smoothly as we face a real coach again.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It was a little more complicated an answer than that (first 1:40 in the video). He was asked about how his defensive work has improved, and he gave a longwinded answer basically saying he could still play heavier and use his size, but that he was doing somewhat better. So, he turned a softball complimentary question into a slight backhanded criticism. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though.

Also, when talking about "Sandy's" offense in the first part, which he answered with far less passion, Hakstol said it's about trusting his instincts and knowing mistakes happen. Which is a dazzling show of self-awareness on the coach who doesn't seem to trust or reward Sanheim's instincts and punishes him at the first sign of a mistake.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

It was a little more complicated an answer than that (first 1:40 in the video). He was asked about how his defensive work has improved, and he gave a longwinded answer basically saying he could still play heavier and use his size. So, he turned a softball compliment into a backhanded criticism. Also, when talking about "Sandy's" offense in the first part, Hakstol said it's about trusting his instincts. Which is a great show of self-awareness on the coach who doesn't seem to trust or reward Sanheim's instincts.

His answers are always so elementary. Hard on pucks, strong stick, a heavy or steady game...etc. thats the kind of shit you talk about to a Peewee team.

He never talks about system, positioning, zone play, etc. This is a professional team that should be learning the hockey equivalent to advanced calculus and this guy is giving lessons on their 1, 2, 3s.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Heavy must be the most bullshit abstract ever invented. I bet if you went around and asked every player, fan, etc. to define heavy in terms of what it means in hockey play style, how it is different from being truculent or gritty, and how to measure it that most people would give at least slightly different answers.

I used to be a manager in a labor-intensive environment. If I went around telling my boss that people deserved to be fired or didn't deserve to be promoted because they didn't work heavy enough they would look at me sideways, ask me what the f*** that means, and I probably wouldn't be a manager.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Why the hell does Hakstol always talking about building like there is some sort of end game you can reach in hockey. There's too much randomness in hockey to ever reach a perfect state.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

It was a little more complicated an answer than that (first 1:40 in the video). He was asked about how his defensive work has improved, and he gave a longwinded answer basically saying he could still play heavier and use his size, but that he was doing somewhat better. So, he turned a softball complimentary question into a slight backhanded criticism. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though.

Also, when talking about "Sandy's" offense in the first part, which he answered with far less passion, Hakstol said it's about trusting his instincts and knowing mistakes happen. Which is a dazzling show of self-awareness on the coach who doesn't seem to trust or reward Sanheim's instincts and punishes him at the first sign of a mistake.

He offered Sanheim very little positive feedback with both of those answers.

Listen, he has a point. Sanheim has handled himself in his own zone but with that big body, quick feet, and good reach, he could really do well at breaking rushes up at the blue line. Once he figures it out I think he'll really be a good entry defender. Simply put that's not what he is right now, yet.

That being said, he's far from a liability on D, and he's our 3rd best defender right now, but god forbid Dom Hunkstop acknowledge how well he's playing for a 22 year old in the NHL and boost some confidence. Has he ever pumped up a player younger than 25? Besides Provorov?

EDIT: See how I phrased that? Saying overall he's playing well, but he has some stuff to work on, all while recognizing the potential he has and if he keeps working on it, he could be a special player.

You'd never hear him phrase anything like that.

"He play smol. Must be BIG."

Last edited:

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
His answers are always so elementary. Hard on pucks, strong stick, a heavy or steady game...etc. thats the kind of **** you talk about to a Peewee team.

He never talks about system, positioning, zone play, etc. This is a professional team that should be learning the hockey equivalent to advanced calculus and this guy is giving lessons on their 1, 2, 3s.
Never change Jeff “Dildo-pipe” Hackstool

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
It’s incredibly revealing that Hakstol goes out of his way to criticise Sanheim for no reason but will never say a negative word about his pets, even when they massively **** up and are consistently horrible.

His hatred of skill is incredible.
It baffles me, his philosophy and coaching style, and decision making, how is this coach going to get this team to the next level? To a contender?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Heavy must be the most bull**** abstract ever invented. I bet if you went around and asked every player, fan, etc. to define heavy in terms of what it means in hockey play style, how it is different from being truculent or gritty, and how to measure it that most people would give at least slightly different answers.

I used to be a manager in a labor-intensive environment. If I went around telling my boss that people deserved to be fired or didn't deserve to be promoted because they didn't work heavy enough they would look at me sideways, ask me what the **** that means, and I probably wouldn't be a manager.

I streamed a little of the local North Dakota broadcast of the UND vs Wisconsin game last night. No lie, there "keys to the game" for UND was "play heavy." I almost died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad