WJC: 14.2 Million Viewers of Gold Medal Game - TSN

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
2009 WC final had about 34 million viewers in Russia. 14 million is sure impressive for Canada, but for Russia, not so much. Even more so if you were thinking it was combined audience.

That's a pretty big number, do you have a link on that?

Combined audience is no different from total audience for any other country. Just means some chose to watch in French and some chose to watch in English.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Oh well, I made a small mistake. It was 27 million viewers for 2009 and 28 million for 2008 finals. Anyway here is a link in Russian
http://www.championat.ru/football/article-34305.html

I sum it up a bit:
1. Russia - Canada 2009 WC Finals 27 millions
2. Russia - USA 2009 WC Semifinals 19,5 millions
3. CSKA - Spartak 2006 Russian Football League 11,25 millions
4. CSKA - Zenit Russian Football League 9,5 millions

All this was compared to some other TV shows:
1. 9th May parade - 38 millions
2. 2009 Eurovision (Bilan won?) 33 millions
T-3. 2009 WC Finals 27 millions
T-3 Some movie 27 millions

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
I sum it up a bit:
1. Russia - Canada 2009 WC Finals 27 millions
2. Russia - USA 2009 WC Semifinals 19,5 millions
3. CSKA - Spartak 2006 Russian Football League 11,25 millions
4. CSKA - Zenit Russian Football League 9,5 millions

All this was compared to some other TV shows:
1. 9th May parade - 38 millions
2. 2009 Eurovision (Bilan won?) 33 millions
T-3. 2009 WC Finals 27 millions
T-3 Some movie 27 millions

Cool, thanks for the info Ult and Alessandro.

I'm using google translate so I may have missed it on the page, but I assume these numbers are average audience?

Funny enough proportional to population Canada's WJC #'s are almost identical to Russia's WCH #'s; 20.2% to 19.0%.

The Economist had the 09 WCH final globally at 17m viewers. Just looking for more explanation on the methodology of this now.
http://www.economist.com/node/15491106?story_id=15491106

Do you have #'s for WJC and the past Olympics for Russia?

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
And the NHL calls the Winter "Classic" a succes with only 4m American viewers ? Puts some perspective in all this.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
More people in PEI per capita watched the WJCH than the entire world.
Mind you PEI is Canada's smallest province with only 140,000 people but also the highest population density in Canada because of the small land mass

Last edited by a moderator:

Turboflex*

Honestly as a Canadian I think it's kind of weird & pathetic that TSN has managed to convince the whole country to bandwagon this tournament for teenagers. Pierre McGuire acts like a hysterical hockey parent the whole game, along with the rest of the country's chattering classes. Quite vulgar display.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Honestly as a Canadian I think it's kind of weird & pathetic that TSN has managed to convince the whole country to bandwagon this tournament for teenagers.

It's more or less Canada's Final Four, nothing more.

I think the NHL's and the CHL's growth in Canada in the last ten years is at least in part due to the WJC. The NBA is better for the Final Four, the NFL is better for the popularity of college Football and the NHL is better for the WJC. Whereas the mass baseball audience imo is at a disadvantage as no one has seen or knows the young players who are coming into the game.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Honestly as a Canadian I think it's kind of weird & pathetic that TSN has managed to convince the whole country to bandwagon this tournament for teenagers. Pierre McGuire acts like a hysterical hockey parent the whole game, along with the rest of the country's chattering classes. Quite vulgar display.
Hopefully the country didn't need much convincing? To me, it's the best hockey of the year, almost every year, and the only hockey I've ever liked better is my NHL team playing for the Stanley Cup.

The hype and jingoism may not be strictly necessary, but what the heck. It's not like Canadians get that way about much of anything else, ever, so if there's a couple of weeks of hockey that don't matter much to the world at large that helps fill that nationalistic void, then so be it. :dunno:

The bottom line is that the hockey is great. And TSN is doing a nice job showing games that don't involve Canada too. We've had some years in the past with basically all games on (locally, at least), we've had other years with just Canada + medals. But they're doing a nice balance right now at least showing most games of the other top teams too. I'll forgive them a bit of extra hype if they deliver the hockey along with it.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Do you have #'s for WJC and the past Olympics for Russia?
http://www.championat.ru/football/article-74624.html
The most popular sport broadcasts in 2010 in Russia.
1. OG opening ceremony – 34 mln viewers.
2. Spain – Holland (Soccer WC final) – 28 mln viewers.
3. Russia – Czech Republic (Hockey WC final) – 25 mln viewers.
4. Russia – Canada (Hockey WC quarterfinal) – 23,5 mln viewers.
5. Russia – Czech Republic (Hockey OG) – 22 mln viewers.
6. Russia – Germany (Hockey WC semifinal) – 21,5 mln viewers.
7. Spain – Germany (Soccer WC semifinal) – 20,5 mln viewers.
8. OG women's biathlon relay – 19 mln viewers.
9. Uruguay - Germany (Soccer WC third-place final) – 18,5 mln viewers.
10. OG men's biathlon relay – 18 mln viewers.

Both WJC and OG Russia - Canada games were late at night, so I doubt they're even close to top 10. And yes, that's all average audience.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't even think 10 million people in Canada get TSN (including the ones who watched online) so I was misled there for a bit but the global one makes sense.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Great that the Rusians also seem to love Biathlon, I thought it was only big in Germany and Norway.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
http://www.championat.ru/football/article-74624.html
The most popular sport broadcasts in 2010 in Russia.
1. OG opening ceremony – 34 mln viewers.
2. Spain – Holland (Soccer WC final) – 28 mln viewers.
3. Russia – Czech Republic (Hockey WC final) – 25 mln viewers.
4. Russia – Canada (Hockey WC quarterfinal) – 23,5 mln viewers.
5. Russia – Czech Republic (Hockey OG) – 22 mln viewers.
6. Russia – Germany (Hockey WC semifinal) – 21,5 mln viewers.
7. Spain – Germany (Soccer WC semifinal) – 20,5 mln viewers.
8. OG women's biathlon relay – 19 mln viewers.
9. Uruguay - Germany (Soccer WC third-place final) – 18,5 mln viewers.
10. OG men's biathlon relay – 18 mln viewers.

Both WJC and OG Russia - Canada games were late at night, so I doubt they're even close to top 10. And yes, that's all average audience.

Cool, always love seeing stuff like this.

Gulvorn

Jan 26, 2009
Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
And the NHL calls the Winter "Classic" a succes with only 4m American viewers ? Puts some perspective in all this.

The Winter Classic also features 2 teams that a lot of people hate as opposed to 2 national teams that everyone is cheering for to win. Kind of a big difference. Especially when you consider 4M is pretty good compared to some BCS college football game that were getting around 6-10M viewers.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
As for the evil empire of TSN making Canadians believe this is a great event...it is a great event. I've been watching it since it was televised, and have not missed a game since 1993. After watching Kariya, Gratton, Pronger, Legace, etc...I was hooked. It has nothing to do with TSN brainwashing me. I'd watch it if it was on community access.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I don't even think 10 million people in Canada get TSN (including the ones who watched online) so I was misled there for a bit but the global one makes sense.

TSN is in about 9 million homes. That is about 22.5 million people that get it, considering the average Canadian household has 2.5 people.

I do not know a single person that didn't watch that game. I do live in a hockey-mad part of the country, for sure.

Pushkin

Aug 29, 2010
Just to show how hockey is nothing in the US. An unprecedently hyped Ovechkin-Crosby showdown on primetime NBC got around 4M and the same day the Rose Bowl with two "lesser" known teams got around 22M on ESPN!

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
As for the evil empire of TSN making Canadians believe this is a great event...it is a great event. I've been watching it since it was televised, and have not missed a game since 1993. After watching Kariya, Gratton, Pronger, Legace, etc...I was hooked. It has nothing to do with TSN brainwashing me. I'd watch it if it was on community access.

It is a great event in Canada and nowhere else.

For Canadians that is excellent but the rest of the world do not give a toss about this tournament. Remember that one of the main differences between American and European sports is that nobody cares about junior sports in Europe.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
It is a great event in Canada and nowhere else.

For Canadians that is excellent but the rest of the world do not give a toss about this tournament. Remember that one of the main differences between American and European sports is that nobody cares about junior sports in Europe.

That's fine. I don't believe I was asking you to watch it. I don't "give a toss" whether Europeans watch it or not. I doubt it you watch "Corner Gas" either, it doesn't change my enjoyment of it.

I watch the WJC because I love the quality of the games, simple as that.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
That's fine. I don't believe I was asking you to watch it. I don't "give a toss" whether Europeans watch it or not. I doubt it you watch "Corner Gas" either, it doesn't change my enjoyment of it.

I watch the WJC because I love the quality of the games, simple as that.

I think you're missing my point somewhat. This is not about the enterainment value of it, which is superb I'm sure, but simply that outside of Canada this tournament gets no recognition at all. In fact you can compare it to how people in Canada view the WC as opposed to Europe where it is quite big.

The point is more how and why people in Canada get so big on this tourney when in other countries they don't even know it exsists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad