Prospect Info: 13th Overall - Jakub Vrana

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is anyone really surprised they drafted a skilled winger playing in Sweden? This pick is right in Mahoney's wheelhouse, and has largely been an effective choice for Washington. Mahoney and the Swedish scouts have certainly done well enough for themselves to buy the benefit of the doubt here. It obviously doesn't signify the cultural change some were hoping for, but it has a pretty decent chances of panning out to be a contributor in the NHL.

He's done very well against his peers, hopefully he can continue to develop against men in Sweden for another year or two. Not sure how his 3-year contract will impact his transition to North America, but it rarely seems to be a significant issue with getting players out of the SHL.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Is anyone really surprised they drafted a skilled winger playing in Sweden? This pick is right in Mahoney's wheelhouse, and has largely been an effective choice for Washington. Mahoney and the Swedish scouts have certainly done well enough for themselves to buy the benefit of the doubt here. It obviously doesn't signify the cultural change some were hoping for, but it has a pretty decent chances of panning out to be a contributor in the NHL.

He's done very well against his peers, hopefully he can continue to develop against men in Sweden for another year or two. Not sure how his 3-year contract will impact his transition to North America, but it rarely seems to be a significant issue with getting players out of the SHL.

Derp contradictory much bolded. Considering first round success what cultural change are you looking for draft wise?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Derp contradictory much bolded. Considering first round success what cultural change are you looking for draft wise?
I thought they might go safer and be more mindful of players that bring more leadership, polished defense and an overall complete game to the table. They still could I suppose later in the draft but it looks increasingly like MacLellan will allow the scouts to do their thing and won't change their approach much.

I would say at least that the whole 'McPhee was seduced by skill' thing was him listening to Mahoney and nothing more.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Positives from the draft so far.

1. At least our Gm wasn't an ******* at the podium.

2. We didn't get lil Nylander. I just don't think he can survive the NHL game.

3. In five years we might have a player like Vorachek. Not just because he's Chech. I like his game. It's not a need but a decent pick.

I thought they should've traded it. This team needs help now and I believe in the five or six years it takes this kid to pan out a free agent could be acquired that would have comparable or better production anyways.

Overall disappointing. Lots of talk and nothing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I thought they might go safer and be more mindful of players that bring more leadership, polished defense and an overall complete game to the table. They still could I suppose later in the draft but it looks increasingly like MacLellan will allow the scouts to do their thing and won't change their approach much.

I would say at least that the whole 'McPhee was seduced by skill' thing was him listening to Mahoney and nothing more.

GMGM admitted they didn't know what they were doing in the draft early in his career, and he and his staff learned as they went along. Mahoney took over amateur scouting and drafting 16 years ago and was there for that. It could just as easily be Mahoney and staff continuing the philosophies they developed WITH McPhee, or transmitted to him as what they learned.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Also, along with Caps development camp, expect Vrana to be making the trip to US/Canada in early August with the Czech Re junior team for the evaluation camp scrimmages.

Article in Czech

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Just looking at the highlight vids it seems like a solid pick but I don't know about who else was on the table they passed up on.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

I wasn't defending that position, but there were a lot of people clamoring for a shift in focus towards drafting centers, defensemen, and "glue" guys, rather than spending high picks on skilled, high-upside players.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I trust Mahoney's team, especially when it comes to picking skilled forwards. I just would rather they traded the pick for immediate help.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
gonna be the "steel" of the draft :sarcasm:
kid hits a lot of posts...j/k looks like a good talent

He hit the post a number of times in that U20 video, but that shot is legitimate. I went back and watched a good deal of the footage on YouTube for all of the top prospects from Friday's draft, from Reinhart to Kapanen yesterday since I was bedridden because of the flu, and his shot was as impressive as any prospect in the draft as far as I can tell. Quick release on the wrister and the slapper, velocity on both, he picks corners etc. Mahoney called his goal scoring ability a gift in his synopsis of the player, so you know that they feel that he has a special shot/scoring trait. He also has speed, he can handle the puck and he plays with decent physicality if the clips I watched are to be believed. Excited about seeing him in December.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I remember he hit three posts in just one period of a game (it was against Slovakia IIRC) at WJC U20.. Got really unlucky few times there but he sure was one of the best Czech players in that tourney

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Vrana, in addition to having elite skating and shooting has some truly excellent vision and is an underrated playmaker. He's like a Bondra light.

If only he could play D or C.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Vrana, in addition to having elite skating and shooting has some truly excellent vision and is an underrated playmaker. He's like a Bondra light.

If only he could play D or C.

were expecting some kid to come in and solve that? BPA always when it comes to drafting.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Courtesy of DraftBuzz:

JAKUB VRANA RW, 6’0’’ 176 lbs, Linkoping, SHL
Biggest Strength: Rare goal scorer w/ mature pro tendencies
Biggest Weakness: Can get caught looking in on plays

“Jakub Vrana is a Czech born sniper who has spent the last 3 years playing 'Cluben' hockey for J18 Elite/Allsvenskan, SuperElit, and now SHL in Sweden. With 8G in 7GP, Vrana carried the torch at this past U18 edging out touted stars. Game breaking scorer at U18 level with SHL pedigree and WJC U20 experience. Mature player can step into different roles at different levels. A smooth skater with great acceleration who wreaks of composure and calm. Uses great body control and smarts to absorb checks and maintain possession. Has the maturity to wait for best option in passing the puck or pulling away himself. Does a great job blending into the play and then emerging as a target at the last second for his teammates to pass to. Possesses great all-around hockey instincts. Lethal in open space. Even standing still can pick corners with impressive power. A physically strong cycler who can pull off high traffic moves with no space. Though he back-checks with effort he could stand to learn to read plays better. Likeable forward who could stand to get looser with the puck earns a top 20 ranking with proven goal scoring rampages.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->