Prospect Info: 13th Overall - Jakub Vrana

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
A left shot that plays RW, good thing again Oates is gone. He is said to have elite acceleration and great speed yet was rated 3/5 on speed. Another skilled winger but we so often hear you build your team down the middle and from the goal out.

Wait for it Jakub Cutta, no relation

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Sounds good.

He did light it up at the U18s...he's just a little too similar to Burakovsky for me. And smaller.

We need 2 of Bura/Kuz/Vrana to pan out. Those 2 + OV+ Wilson + Backstrom could be part of a great top 6 for a while. We needed more skill wingers IMO. It's been a glaring hole since Semin left.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
My mans Crow.

Several sources including the one sk8 linked have him saying he will stay with Linköping. Signed a 3 year contract in 2013.

"http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhlinkamemorial.cz%2Fclanek.asp%3Fid%3DCekal-jsem-draft-spis-do-Lva-je-zajmem-Novosibirsku-zaskoceny-Vrana-24"

Have you played two seasons in Linköping, Sweden, where you have even played for the senior team a few games in Elitserien, the highest Swedish league. As you happy in Sweden? You will also continue next season on the same team?
I am happy here and staying here. I signed a new professional contract for three years.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=687051

"He plays with determination and drive, has an excellent work ethic and is a very fast skater with excellent all-round skills," Stubb said of Vrana. "He's got OK size [6-foot, 183 pounds] and strength. But he's able to control the game and create a lot of scoring possibilities with his quick moves."

The consensus among writers and draft blogs was that he'd go somewhere in the 20's. To surmise what I've read, he has a lot of skill, creativity, and although he doesn't have impressive size, he's at least willing to go to the dirty areas. The main knock on him has been his struggles defensively. Decent goal scoring totals at every level, but projects as a playmaker.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Pronman had Vrana ranked 13th.

Various Rankings From Different Services : http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

From Last July: Very Early 2014 Draft Ranking

4. Jakub Vrana, Right Wing, Linkoping-SHL:

Vrana is one of the top Czech prospects to come around in a few years. His skill level is off the charts as he’s a player who can create a scoring chance out of nowhere and bring observers out of their seats. He’s agile, shifty, and has great hockey IQ. He needs to bulk up though which will likely come with time.

From April:

Corey PronmanVerified account ‏@coreypronman

Jakub Vrana puts Czechs up 1-0. His 17th career points at the U18s (in 16 games) ties him with Malkin and Paajarvi.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Anyone know much about this kid, seen him play etc?
Just international play really. Solid puck skill. Like I said, a lesser Burakovsky for me but one not coming off of quite as rough a season in comparison since he finished so strong at the U18s. Should that have been enough to vault him into the top 15? That's a hard sell.

IMO the question going forward is how Trotz & Co. can instill defense in a forward group that don't naturally thrive in their own end yet not stifle that skill level. They need to evolve more along the lines of a Detroit given what's in the system and really use these skilled wingers over the next few years to do what they do best. They're still going to need those foundational centers and defensemen so that the puck gets up quickly to all of these skilled guys. That task remains significant. Competent coaching helps but it remains to be seen if their pro scouting can carry out what looks to be put on them.

Burakovsky95*

Love the pick. Don't know how many times GMBM needs to tell some of you he knows our defense is a problem. He's obviously going to address it. Chill the **** out. Our D prospect pool is deep and no one on the board defenseman wise is a better pick than Vrana.

butters8814*

love the pick also, and sounds like he has a lot of upside.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
kmdoom

I saw the two years in the article I posted, but was looking for additional information. Also checked to see that he was not picked in last year's CHL import draft. Question, could you provide a link to that original Hlinka article with the more specific contract language, the google translate link is not working. Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->