139th - Sebastian Aho (D)

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Cool to see him showing up in rookie camp. Forgot to mention it but he said in the interview that he had more or less forgot about the draft and was at home watching a movie when his agent called him and told him he had been drafted.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I think the Visnovsky comparison works well, he also reminds me a lot about Marek Zidlicky when he was playing on the Wild or the Devils or Brian Rafalski. Easily our best pick of the draft.

E: Sorry for all the spamming here but:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblad...p-mot-klockan--skelleftea-kan-tappa-stjarnduo

According to SAIK's director, they have no idea if Aho will return to Skellefteå or not and that they have a plan to deal with it if he is leaving. Kautonen has said in Newsday that the Islander's hope that he will play in AHL the upcoming season.

Last edited:

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I think the Visnovsky comparison works well, he also reminds me a lot about Marek Zidlicky when he was playing on the Wild or the Devils or Brian Rafalski. Easily our best pick of the draft.

E: Sorry for all the spamming here but:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblad...p-mot-klockan--skelleftea-kan-tappa-stjarnduo

According to SAIK's director, they have no idea if Aho will return to Skellefteå or not and that they have a plan to deal with it if he is leaving. Kautonen has said in Newsday that the Islander's hope that he will play in AHL the upcoming season.

NYI didn't qualify Graham... I'd imagine they envision Aho playing with Toews, Wotherspoon, and MVS as the top 4 D otherwise they might've qualified him to fill a similar role.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Cool to see him showing up in rookie camp. Forgot to mention it but he said in the interview that he had more or less forgot about the draft and was at home watching a movie when his agent called him and told him he had been drafted.

Maybe they can room him with Ho Sang at the camp.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Maybe they can room him with Ho Sang at the camp.

:laugh:

If you'd told Aho a week ago that he'd be in NY for camp he'd never believe it. Being passed over twice probably makes you very cynical and think your chances are gone.

And this being his big short, he'll definitely get Ho-Sang up in the morning...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
:laugh:

If you'd told Aho a week ago that he'd be in NY for camp he'd never believe it. Being passed over twice probably makes you very cynical and think your chances are gone.

And this being his big short, he'll definitely get Ho-Sang up in the morning...

Actually, passed over 3 times!

No joke - amazing he still qualified for the draft.

First conversation from management was probably "Be your own man. Never count on Josh setting an alarm clock properly".

NYI didn't qualify Graham... I'd imagine they envision Aho playing with Toews, Wotherspoon, and MVS as the top 4 D otherwise they might've qualified him to fill a similar role.

Yep, gotta think that drafting Aho meant the team has designs for him to be in Bridgeport next season. I'd usually think his agent would have been talked to about his 'readiness' to do so, but all reports are that Aho wasn't expecting to be drafted whatsoever. Still, it was interesting to see that Skelleftea's manager mentioned that they currently have no idea if Aho will stay and already have a back-up plan in case he goes. Then again, we're talking about a truly small town team that is so successful that it basically deals with losing 10 of its best 12/13 players every year to the NHL/AHL/KHL/NLA or other SHL teams.

Anyhow, I think Burroughs is still in the picture for BPort and was, for all intensive purposes, basically the team's #2/3 Dman last season. Sure would love to see Aho added to that.

A bit weary of seeing so many AHL/ECHL journeymen and cast-offs dotting BPort's line-up every season, but I guess it's the way of the world for many teams in the minor leagues.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I seriously believed that this was yet another Aho and it took me a while to realise he'd been passed over twice in the draft. I think he was highly rated two years ago and expected to go in the 2nd round or so, but I never knew he was passed over altogether. I suppose he's the type of player who doesn't really fit the NHL but who thrives in the less physical Swedish league where he has much more ice to skate on.

Bring him to the AHL and see if he succeeds first.

Actually he has been passed up 3 times. He was eligable as early as 2014.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
He would never come if he wasn't interested in playing with the Islanders but I don't think he is too keen on Bridgeport. He's an established SEL player and I think he goes back to Sweden for another year if he doesn't make the Isles roster.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
He would never come if he wasn't interested in playing with the Islanders but I don't think he is too keen on Bridgeport. He's an established SEL player and I think he goes back to Sweden for another year if he doesn't make the Isles roster.

I think he goes to the AHL for one year and if he doesn't make the team next year, he goes back

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Swedish newspapers report today that the decision has been made. Aho will leave Skellefteå, and not play for them next season, which means he will go to NHL/AHL.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Swedish newspapers report today that the decision has been made. Aho will leave Skellefteå, and not play for them next season, which means he will go to NHL/AHL.

Seems like it was confirmed not even a full hour ago. Good stuff.

I suppose the prospects camp showed all involved that Aho => North America is something that can happen now.

I guess we'd have to assume that he's open for AHL duty...

Last edited:

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Seems like it was confirmed not even a full hour ago. Good stuff.

I suppose the prospects camp showed all involved that Aho => North America is something that can happen now.

I guess we'd have to assume that he's open for AHL duty...

How much would someone like Aho be getting over in Sweden? I can imagine an NHL ELC paying a lot less than a SHL deal. I believe in the AHL he'd earn $70K at the most.

If he comes I hope he gives it at least a full season in North America.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Due to his age and high Swedish taxes I don't think he would earn much more to be honest. He also wants to be as good as he possibly can so I don't see him doing a Petrov and bolting mid-season because of not getting first team duty.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
At this point of Ahos career, I dont think the salary Aho would get in his former club vs. in AHL is of any major importance. It's all about getting an opportunity of making it to the NHL.
I remember articles of Axel Holmstrom (nowadays in Grand Rapids Griffins) being totally upset after the draft some years ago, when he got drafted, but his best friend, Sebastian Aho, who Axel thought was way more talented, didnt get drafted. Aiming for NHL is the goal for every hockey kid in Sweden. Cant see how Aho would be different.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Sorry if this was posted previously .
I see that the former islander boy Mark Katic played a bit on his team this past season.
It's a small world after all

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
This could be huge for us.... Aho has the skill set to have a Gostisbehere impact if his game translates to the NHL. Isles need a Cinderella story in the worst way...

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
How much would someone like Aho be getting over in Sweden? I can imagine an NHL ELC paying a lot less than a SHL deal. I believe in the AHL he'd earn $70K at the most.

If he comes I hope he gives it at least a full season in North America.

You'll hardly find ANY pros in Sweden earning more than maybe $300'000 - before taxes.

And Aho surely wasn't one of them. He's probably been earning about $40'000 the past few seasons.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
You'll hardly find ANY pros in Sweden earning more than maybe $300'000 - before taxes.

And Aho surely wasn't one of them. He's probably been earning about $40'000 the past few seasons.

Yes, you are correct regarding Aho's salary. He made around $40 000 last season.

However, some players are earning a lot in Sweden as well. Ville Leino is earning around $1 000 000 per season in Växjö.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Very good news...we're now 12 deep on the blueline.

Leddy-Boychuk
de Haan-Pulock
Hickey-Seidenberg
Pelech-Mayfield
Toews-Aho
Helgeson-Burroughs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad