Prospect Info: 139th Overall, Ryder Rolston

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The son of former NHLer Brian Rolston, Ryder Rolston is a late birthdate who was part of the incredible 2019 US NTDP squad. This past season he stayed in the USHL but moved on to the Waterloo Black Hawks who drafted him second overall in the USHL Draft. Rolston scored 16 goals and 17 assists for 33 points in 42 games. He also played for Team USA at the World Junior A Hockey Championships, picking up two assists in six games and winning a silver medal.

Last season Rolston put up 20 goals and 13 assists for 33 points in 54 games for the US NTDP Under-18 squad. He put up two goals and an assist for three points in two games in the USHL playoffs. In 2017-18, Rolston also put up 26 goals and 11 assists for 37 points in 52 games. He also added two assists in eight playoff games that season.

Rolston is committed to playing NCAA hockey for the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish next season. In addition to his father, his uncle Ron Rolston played in the NCAA and ECHL and has been a long time college and US NTDP coach.

Ryder Rolston Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #105

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I like this quote:

“In the next level you have to be able to play in all scenarios,” said Rolston, who said he’s modeled his game after Colorado Avalanche center Nathan MacKinnon and Los Angeles Kings forward Ilya Kovalchuk. “I feel like just working on that side will kind of turn me into a more complete player. I’ll be able to play in all situations when the time comes.”

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean... it is good to have goals. :laugh:
As I said in another thread, Ryder plays similar to Morrison but without all that front net presence. However, to be honest I don't think Cam had that much at Notre Dame as he was in Youngstown. As you said, pretty disappointing season but that's why he probably dropped to the 5th round, he still had a really productive season just prior with USNTDP. Maybe he was just a bad fit in Waterloo and it happens even if they're one of the more prestigious franchises in the USHL.

Not sure if I like him going to Notre Dame personally, Jackson is a coach with a short leash and I suggest Ryder needs to play a lot and make mistakes. I would've much rather have him go to Mankato, UMass-Lowell, or Connecticut; programmes which are a bit secondary to the main ones, but schools that have good records at developing forwards and where he can play. He's going to be stuck on the 4th line with the Irish and will probably be a lost year for him in development as he adjusts to the league and level of the Big 10. I understand @Bender frustration with Avs trading up for him, but I actually don't mind the move. It shows a level of commitment to him and something they didn't mind gambling on.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like his interview but that guy asking about the Avs wouldn't have won without trading his dad away, what a dick way to put that question

That would be the one and only Mike Chambers. Same guy that used his question to make fun of Foudy's name in his interview.

Great first question to Ryder too. In case he didn't know who the Avs GM is and who drafted him.

"Ryder, your dad played with Joe Sakic. Joe Sakic's the GM. He's the guy that signed off on your draft. That's got to be pretty cool...................huh?"

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I like this pick the best out of our late rounders. Would be nice to see him carve out a bottom-6 role in a few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad