139th Overall Pick: Andrew Shaw

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
/\ Interesting post, if you find the patience to read it. Hawks do seem to have found something with Shaw at 2nd line center. The question in my mind is: can he play that position for a full schedule and be consistent (offensively, in particular)? Right now, I have my doubts.
Slotting in Rasmussen (or Carey) in the 3rd center position is iffy at best, but if we are to remain status quo, I'd be willing to try it.
As for Kesler, yes, he comes with risks, but I'd still prefer we at least try to go after him. Shaw, I think, would be more consistent and comfortable playing 3rd line center.

It's a reasonable question and doubt. He very well may be able to, but as others I think have eluded to, the issue is less about the ability of a Shaw or Smith to be able to play that spot and more about the void it leaves behind them depth-wise. Those guys are much better suited in a third-line role for this team's sake, making the team deeper. With those guys up in the top six, you're moving others up to fill those bottom six roles and it leaves this team stretched a bit thin when doing so.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But it also makes you wonder how much of someone's success in hockey actually comes down to making the most of a scant few minutes of ice time in order to get a second look.

Was there anything about Shaw to differentiate him from a dozen other guys when he was breaking into the league, other than he got a chance to mesh with the right linemates and they didn't?

Is the only difference between a Shaw and all the other 5th round picks just the fact he got a chance to play? After all, there's still nothing he really does especially well on an individual basis.

IIRC, Shaw made a big impact in his very first game that turned a lot of heads. I believe it was vs. PHI and he fought Zac Rinaldo. Right then and there he became a favourite of the fans, and Coach Q. He showed the heart, grit, and even showed off some offensively ability that most probably didn't realize he had.

Some prospects make the most of every opportunity and get second looks, others expect it to be handed to them because of past success.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
This is an example of why no draft pick should be taken lightly. In fact, I'd willing to wager that most scouts, if asked, would like the current # of draft picks per team expanded. There are so many sources for young players these days.

I've been saying this for a while. I think the draft should be expanded to 10 rounds. There are just so many players out there now and 7 rounds doesn't do justice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad