139th Overall Pick: Andrew Shaw

SchruteFarms

Aug 8, 2010
My thoughts are do we really need a thread after EVERY pick?

I kind of like it because it makes it clear who is being discussed in each post. I've enjoyed all of the tidbits that our board experts have been dropping the past 2 days. Kudos! :handclap:

southsidehawks

Jun 8, 2009
South Side, IL
like it. saw him during the memorial cup on NHLnet. i think he was owen sound's captain & was a gritty 2-way player with some skill. i believe he got passed over last year in thew draft. maybe a solid 4th liner. also grew an outstanding playoff beard from what i remember!

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Hopefully he can keep the goonery to a minimum. Agitators are great but not when they're taking awful penalties and getting suspended. Hopefully he can be a mini-Burish.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Leading scorer in Memorial Cup this year. Supposedly is quite the pest.

Those two facts alone just make me think of one dude. Bolland.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Shaw was a great surprise this season (though most definitely not the captain in Owen Sound). Is probably the best pest in the OHL and has shown a surprising two way ability.

Best comparison I've heard is Matt Cooke, and he's got the kind of game that could translate really well to the pro level.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Article on drafting Shaw

The Blackhawks have engineered a few draft steals in recent years, finding talented young players in the latter rounds, some of whom have already made an impact at the NHL level. What often goes unnoticed, however, is the work that the organization’s amateur scouts put in year-round to identify, track and evaluate these prospects, so that Vice President/General Manager Stan Bowman and Senior Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Kelley are completely prepared to make their selections on draft day. One of those scouts is Jim McKellar, who joined the organization in the 2010-11 season and is responsible for surveying the Ontario Hockey League.

“Early in the season, you’re watching everybody to see who pops out and catches your eye,†McKellar says of the basic process. “You’re narrowing that focus on players you really like as the year goes on, but continuing to watch other guys.â€

One player McKellar zeroed in on was Andrew Shaw, who at that point had already passed through two drafts, untouched by all 30 NHL teams. Of course, Blackhawks fans know the rest—from his stellar start in the NHL to his gritty, shinpads-and-stitches performance during the 2013 Stanley Cup run. As the 2014 Draft approaches, chicagoblackhawks.com caught up with McKellar to get his reflections on the Blackhawks' selection of Shaw.

Blackhawks.NHL.com

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Ooh thread necro.

Hopefully he can keep the goonery to a minimum. Agitators are great but not when they're taking awful penalties and getting suspended. Hopefully he can be a mini-Burish.

I think he managed to exceed that baseline.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
You think? :laugh:

But it also makes you wonder how much of someone's success in hockey actually comes down to making the most of a scant few minutes of ice time in order to get a second look.

Was there anything about Shaw to differentiate him from a dozen other guys when he was breaking into the league, other than he got a chance to mesh with the right linemates and they didn't?

Is the only difference between a Shaw and all the other 5th round picks just the fact he got a chance to play? After all, there's still nothing he really does especially well on an individual basis.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
But it also makes you wonder how much of someone's success in hockey actually comes down to making the most of a scant few minutes of ice time in order to get a second look.

Was there anything about Shaw to differentiate him from a dozen other guys when he was breaking into the league, other than he got a chance to mesh with the right linemates and they didn't?

Is the only difference between a Shaw and all the other 5th round picks just the fact he got a chance to play? After all, there's still nothing he really does especially well on an individual basis.

IIRC he did very well on his first call up.

at least he plays better than you post. #Shawfacts
:sarcasm:

seriously does no one remember how much hype he got when he first came up? he wasn't quiet, that's for sure

Last edited:

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Won't ever forget his first game. Fought against Rinaldo 4 mins into the first and scored in the 2nd.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

You're losing sight of the fact that when we picked shaw in the 5th round he was older b/c he'd been passed over in the draft 2 times before - when they were looking at him, they probably picked him out as a 5th rounder who had the potential to make it soon, if he made it at all, b/c he was into his 3rd draft eligible year.

I'm not being critical of Shaw - what he's done since being drafted is very impressive - but keep in mind they drafted him in a year when he would have been two years older than the top picks. To give you perspective, Shaw's first year of eligibility was the same year Tavares went #1.

Shaw's in it well that he came in early and seems solidified on the team. My own opinion is that Hartman is a more skilled player than Shaw...but, like I said, Shaw got in there first.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

At the risk of stating the obvious: It's called grit and character. He has both in spades, and it overcomes his smallish stature and average skill level.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Shaw was one of the prospects pre-draft of his class that I posted we ought to draft ...I was proved correct except I had not expected we would take him as early as the 5th round...given his age as a 20 old I had expected him to go in the last round ..but thank goodness on this one the Hawks were astute enough to grab him earlier in the 5th...but he has been exactly what we needed and as described by me then... NOW today the debate is whether he is better at centre or wing and whether he can be a 2C solution or not --if not then we are apparently so desperate for a 2C that we must go and get a so-called quote LEGIT unquote NHL proven 2C like Kesler...may I remind everyone that kesler has been no ball of fire over the last 3 seasons and injury-prone and a combined -20 over the last 2 seasons ...MAYBE he ainèt so great anymore...Shaw in only a season and a half in the NHL improved to 20 goals already and that some from PP work but also mostly used only as a 3rd line player in 5x5...remember he was drafted as a CENTRE because he played as a 2C full time in his draft year and impressed in that role for his OWEN SOUND Jr. club . Now as an NHL 2C with Kane and Saad ===I think you could project a jump to 55-60 pts for him at least which are LEGIT 2C numbers...now he needs to be better at face-offs for sure...so I hope he works on that aspect this summer...and he still can get better defensively in his own zone but that is also for the coaches to teach him better positioning and reads in that aspect of the game...but as far as o-zone fore-check and puck retrieval for getting it back to Saad and Kane and then going to the net for screens and rebounds --he is bewtter already than Kesler in that aspect...for scoring off rushes or on shots off the rush ...no Kesler better in those aspects...but the point is he is younger and improving and cheaper than the cost of Kesler and so I would just stay with him at 2C ---improve those face-offs and d-zone areas and we shall be fine...THUS the real need is to improve the 3C...I do not want Kruger in that role because he is so good as a 4C...Hopefully Carey or Rasmussen can take the 3C role ,,,note that I have not plugged in TT as a centre because I am still not sure if that will be his best position on the Hawks...maybe he fits better as a LW ....Defensively we saw that TT was already fine as a centre--but his play showed he has not yet adapted to the smaller NA rinks offensively YET which is supposed to be his greatest ability...also it seems his style of play does NOT MESH to the style KANE prefers (IMO) because TT gets rid of the puck fast off rushes and you need quick snipers and bang-bang conversions....Kane likes to slow plays down...dangle and control the puck then strike or he takes it all himself to score--he is not a bang-bang sniper type nor is Saad...so in that casse--if TT played centre he may be better setting up SHARP..and so if Sharp is now only 5rd line LW because they keep Bickell up with Toews and Hossa to create space for them --it would mean only a 3C role for TT --if he played centre---but maybe they prefer to play him as a 1C in Rockford for a year till he gets his offense going in the NA smaller rink game --then slide him to 3C if they think that is better than Carey or Rasmussen in that job...OR they could move him to LW if they move Sharo NEXT YEAR ...or trade him next year if his NA offense never materializes for whatever reason..TT has to earn some job but unless he proves he can score some goals or is essential as a set-up guy for a sniper like Sharp OR can adapt to the style of a line with Kane and make more impact than Shaw can--unless he does any of that ,it remains a mystery as to where when and how best if at all TT helps the Hawks get better ...until he proves he can do that in some role ,whatever it is, it remains moot as to whether we use him at all,,in that case SHAW is still the more valuable commodity for this team...but if TT can show adaptation to the NHL rinks and game such that he impacts and shows he can help line 2 more than Shaw can--THEN they can always move Shaw back to line 3 as a RW ---a very nice insurance policy because Sharp at LW Carey or Rasmussen at C and Shaw at RW probably is a great third line combo anyway..or they move Sharp back to line 1 and Bickell to line 3 for the regular season then switch them again for playoffs...Point is we have good depth now to give Q lots of options...Except for face-offs --I cannot see Shaw really blowing his chance at 2C...TT would need to be great in camp and prove he would be a better option there NOW ---otherwise he either competes for the 3C job or goes to Rockford till he proves he is impactful in the NA game...TT is still only 19 so he has time to adapt and make this proof he can help us somewhere ---whether that time is now or a year from now --that will be determined at camp and pre-season.but SHAW we KNOW helps us NOW.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Interesting post, if you find the patience to read it. Hawks do seem to have found something with Shaw at 2nd line center. The question in my mind is: can he play that position for a full schedule and be consistent (offensively, in particular)? Right now, I have my doubts.
Slotting in Rasmussen (or Carey) in the 3rd center position is iffy at best, but if we are to remain status quo, I'd be willing to try it.
As for Kesler, yes, he comes with risks, but I'd still prefer we at least try to go after him. Shaw, I think, would be more consistent and comfortable playing 3rd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad