Prospect Info: Samuel Houde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Or just straight up say that it was not a good year for the Q and that they are in the business of winning the Stanley Cup not being a charity.

As if they weren't saying enough bullshit already. 23 players from the QMJHL were selected.

That's 10.5% of all players selected.

Habs had 11 picks...

Last edited:
Reactions: QuebecPride

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As if they weren't saying enough bull**** already. 23 players from the QMJHL were selected.

And? The two best players selected from the league didn't meet the media's criteria (not french). Veleno almost fell out of the first round. Beaudin went too high and was a first round pick. Kurashev is an import. A majority were goalies. Which french player did we pass on that was better than who we took at the same rank? Cause I certainly couldn't find any.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Or just straight up say that it was not a good year for the Q and that they are in the business of winning the Stanley Cup not being a charity.
That would be 3 years in a row though.....that’s a tough sell (not that I care or anything)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The player they need to target is coming, it's Lafreniere. Thing is, there are not tons of good Q and Quebecer players coming every year. This year was good for goalies,

I do wish the NHL would change the formula of the draft however.

For all clubs, I think it should be:

1) First Round: teams pick the best talent not living in any of the 32 metros (there will be 32 teams soon).
2) Local Round: teams pick the best player out of the ones developed in their metropolitan area (local exclusivity, for one round)
3) Free for all: Second Round, Third Round, Fourth Round, Fifth Round. Sixth Round.

This means that a guy like Practice Bergeron would not have been in the local round of the Habs (Nordiques local round if they had a team): ie, there would be a clear map for each city.
This means that guys like Subban would be with their local team (Toronto).
This means teams would have a strong incentive at promoting hockey development in their location.
Yes, this means that teams like Toronto would be made stronger year after year. In a limited fashion, and I don't think the map drawn should be "the GTA". Richmond Hill (McDavid) would not be Toronto (too north).
Differences of population etc.: Long term, bigger markets would be advantaged. But small passionated markets would also do very well.
The passion displayed in the game would go up tremendously as locals playing for their local team would be a tiny bit tribal.
There would be conflicts and debates about borders, time spent in X place etc. Rules can be made.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
They are still not a charity. The media needs to get over it. Not the scouting staff.

This is true however HF might have to calm down too.

This theory that the Habs have a strong bias for the QMJHL doesn't hold much ground considering they've only draft 2 players out of the Q since 2015. (8, including Andrighetto and Reway, in 7 years since Bergevin has been hired.)

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

This theory that the Habs have a strong bias for the QMJHL doesn't hold much ground considering they've only draft 2 players out of the Q since 2015. (8, including Andrighetton an Reway, in 7 years since Bergevin has been hired.)

They don't have a strong bias for the Q but with as many picks as they had this year.. this one reeked of "hey Q scout pick a francophone who you think is a diamond in the rough" because there's other players from the league available at that spot which wouldn't have been as bad as this one.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

This theory that the Habs have a strong bias for the QMJHL doesn't hold much ground considering they've only draft 2 players out of the Q since 2015. (8, including Andrighetto and Reway, in 7 years since Bergevin has been hired.)
Montreal should be biased for the best player available, not a f***in league.

It’s bad enough we have to deal with high taxes, harsh winters, bilingual coaches and bad roads, now we have to draft players from the Q or else....

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The thing with Houde is that he was a dominating player till now everybody thought he would produce a lot this season. I guess they think he was not getting enough ice time on the third line to produce and also he still played a solid defensive game. He's a legit prospect if you follow the Q, if you only look at hockey dB it doesn't look good, he's still a fifth rounder, but he's gonna get the hate because of his last name.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The thing with Houde is that he was a dominating player till now everybody thought he would produce a lot this season. I guess they think he was not getting enough ice time on the third line to produce and also he still played a solid defensive game. He's a legit prospect if you follow the Q, if you only look at hockey dB it doesn't look good, he's still a fifth rounder, but he's gonna get the hate because of his last name.

He's gonna get hate because no one has ever seen a successful prospect out of the Q with that level of exposure and production.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Hudon got love when he was picked. Getting offensive average sized forward who has 32 points in 54 games in ANY CHL league would get hate. If they selected some 5'9'' kid who has over pt/game he'd get more praise since there's at least some intrigue in the numbers.

I mean its like the Jack Gorniak hate is acceptable.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
And? The two best players selected from the league didn't meet the media's criteria (not french). Veleno almost fell out of the first round. Beaudin went too high and was a first round pick. Kurashev is an import. A majority were goalies. Which french player did we pass on that was better than who we took at the same rank? Cause I certainly couldn't find any.

Kind of surprised they didn't take one of the Xaviers to be honest, Bernard or Bouchard. Thought they would've taken more D, but for all the talk about this being "A D draft", it was never true.

Don't know anything about this kid.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I keep reading that the organization has a strong bias towards Québec players and that it's a xenophobic stategy (actual quote of one poster here), so I went back to our three last draft and turns out that out of the 24 players we selected, ... ONE, Samuel Houde, is from Québec.

One out of 24. When like another poster pointed out, around 10% of players selected are from the QMJHL. Tell me again how the Canadiens suck because they focus too much on Quebec talent.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I keep reading that the organization has a strong bias towards Québec players and that it's a xenophobic stategy (actual quote of one poster here), so I went back to our three last draft and turns out that out of the 24 players we selected, ... ONE, Samuel Houde, is from Québec.

One out of 24. When like another poster pointed out, around 10% of players selected are from the QMJHL. Tell me again how the Canadiens suck because they focus too much on Quebec talent.

I'm not see this argument. The concern is more geared towards actually drafting quality Quebec players when they do make picks.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
Come on... Some people here act as if it's impossible to pick a player because they actually like him and not because of the media pressure. The player they draft needs to be at least 10x better than the next one available to even begin to justify their choice. I'm happy that it was Columbus who picked Dubois over Puljujarvi because some people here would have had a heart attack.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
How do you not take Jenkins instead? Just tell the media that you are a big fan of the Q guys you invited to the camp and maybe sign one just to shut them up. But this is just terrible.

Was pissed when I saw Jenkins picked right behind.

Didn't think he'd be picked that low, though.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
People find it odd that we are complaining about a 5th rounder? Yea, a 5th rounder probably won't make the NHL, but by not going bpa(not even close) you are just lowering your chances.

Reactions: monkza and montreal

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
People find it odd that we are complaining about a 5th rounder? Yea, a 5th rounder probably won't make the NHL, but by not going bpa(not even close) you are just lowering your chances.
We just need to accept that management has to select a french player just to keep the french media off their back. I don't blame the org for that, I blame the french media itself. I think we had other french targets who were much closer to BPA targets (Beaudin early 2nd for example), they just never made it to the picks we wanted to take them at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad