Prospect Info: #13 Nico Hischier: "I love to hockey" Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Interesting to see all these goals again. A few take aways...

1. Nico isn’t afraid to go to the net and is really good at deflections.

2. Nico loves the against the grain shot just above the pad and below the blocker.

Love this kid.

Reactions: My3Sons

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Interesting to see all these goals again. A few take aways...

1. Nico isn’t afraid to go to the net and is really good at deflections.

2. Nico loves the against the grain shot just above the pad and below the blocker.

Love this kid.

If you can get that shot just right (you're second point) it's so hard to stop. He's done well getting that shot through so far

Reactions: Ripshot 43

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
After watching that video two things really stand out to me.

1.) His shot in transition is tremendous. It's very hard to shoot in stride, let alone to pick corners against the grain. If he has time and space he'll probably beat the goalie clean from the hashmarks. Great release. In 2-on-1 situations I'd like to see him shoot more often than not, let the other guy be the decoy because he can flat out beat goalies.

2.) For a physically undersized guy he sure does score a lot of goals from within 5 feet of the net. I love that he is willing to pay the price and get some dirty goals. He has some very nice hand-eye coordination as well, he reminds me a bit of Gionta in that regard.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I thought about it, but figured best to just not bug him. Easy to forget he is only 19.

Yeah, that's understandable. He might not get recognized too much yet though. It's always a grey area: will they enjoy the recognition and appreciation? Or do they just want to be left alone?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought about it, but figured best to just not bug him. Easy to forget he is only 19.
Nah, I'm sure he would have loved it, especially with the playoffs upon us.

I mean I'm doubting the fan fare is making it hard for him to live his life.:laugh:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Nah, I'm sure he would have loved it, especially with the playoffs upon us.

I mean I'm doubting the fan fare is making it hard for him to live his life.:laugh:
Ya, it's been my experience that most Devils players appreciate the recognition. They probably don't get overwhelmed like players in hockey-mad cities like Toronto or Montreal (or even Edmonton as Hall's stated).

ruskidevil14

Feb 23, 2017
how did you guys think he looked.... after watching him for years, this was the first time I saw him look overwhelmed. cross check to back then looking like he was going to collapse in the bench

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Under normal circumstances I would say geez, why not just have the surgery early in the season if it was an issue all year? Of course as it worked out we miss the playoffs if Nico misses a month. If this year was Nico playing hurt I can't wait to see him playing healthy with a year under his belt.

Reactions: glenwo2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t think he ever needed surgery. He did need to keep his arm immobile for a month. Add on some time after he can use it to get practices in and you are looking at 6 week’s missed potentially.

Doesn’t seem it was that big a deal overall. He still put up 50 points and 20 goals as a 19 year old rookie. Might have played a part in his being snake bitten by taking a little mustard off his shot.

He certainly never shied away from contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->