Hischier - Patrick
Games 4 - 4
Goals 4 - 0
Assists 3 - 2
Points 7 - 2
Shots 11 - 8
Faceoff 19/40 - 13/25
PIM 0 - 8
TOI 45:40 - 51:05 (1 game each with unknown TOI)

Devils with Hischier in the line-up:
W 4-1, W 4-1, W 8-1, W 4-1

Yeah it's pre-season only but I'm sooo excited to watch this kid develop!

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
If breaks into the top 5 in points I would be pleasantly surprised.

1. Scott Gomez, 70 points, 1999-00
  2. Kevin Todd, 63 points, 1991-92
  3. Kirk Muller, 54 points, 1984-85
  4. Adam Henrique, 51 points, 2011-12
  5. Pat Verbeek, 47 points, 1983-84
I love playing with numbers too, but comparing different ages of hockey is not really fair to Nico.
I mean matching Verbeek's numbers would be a much bigger achievement now than it was back then.
There were 23 players scoring 90+ points in 83/84 while we had only 1 last year.

I totally believe he can score 50, but I would already be happy with about 35-40 points and a solid defensive play.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I love playing with numbers too, but comparing different ages of hockey is not really fair to Nico.
I mean matching Verbeek's numbers would be a much bigger achievement now than it was back then.
There were 23 players scoring 90+ points in 83/84 while we had only 1 last year.

I totally believe he can score 50, but I would already be happy with about 35-40 points and a solid defensive play.
Yea with scoring in the NHL today, if he cracks 40 points he had a great year for a rookie.

Reactions: ForeverJerseyGirl

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm really happy with how Nico has looked so far. He's definitely exceeded my expectations for him, looking not only NHL ready but ready to be a difference-maker in the NHL offensively and defensively. There is just a more exciting, competitive vibe to the team when he is on the ice, and he seems to mesh well with a variety of players. Even without the points, he really has been excelling this preseason, and I love his attitude. Before the preseason, I was reluctant to establish precise point totals as expectations for him, and I think I'm going to stick with that. To me, it will be more about how he looks and how he competes and how he learns throughout the year than what point milestones he hits. I absolutely am loving what I am seeing from him so far, though. I can't say that often enough or in enough different ways.

Reactions: Aethon and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not that it's been a big detriment or anything, but the one thing Hischier really does need is to put on some muscle and get stronger. Since the Caps were dressing almost a full lineup last night and they have a pretty big team, you could see Hischier getting worked in the corners and along the boards a few times. His speed, stickhandling, and shiftiness makes up for that right now, but when he bulks up and can fight off more checks he's really going to be able to explode off of those half boards.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Not that it's been a big detriment or anything, but the one thing Hischier really does need is to put on some muscle and get stronger. Since the Caps were dressing almost a full lineup last night and they have a pretty big team, you could see Hischier getting worked in the corners and along the boards a few times. His speed, stickhandling, and shiftiness makes up for that right now, but when he bulks up and can fight off more checks he's really going to be able to explode off of those half boards.

Yeah, I would like to see Nico add some more muscle at some point, since him lacking that strength will at times make him vulnerable in the NHL. I think Nico was doing a lot of training this off-season to try to add muscle, so I imagine he'll keep that up this upcoming off-season. I think it is difficult to add muscle during a hockey season (even maintaining it can be a challenge, if I recall correctly) but that is one area where he can grow in the off-seasons. Everything else about him--skill, smarts, shiftiness, stickhandling--looks superb, though.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, I would like to see Nico add some more muscle at some point, since him lacking that strength will at times make him vulnerable in the NHL. I think Nico was doing a lot of training this off-season to try to add muscle, so I imagine he'll keep that up this upcoming off-season. I think it is difficult to add muscle during a hockey season (even maintaining it can be a challenge, if I recall correctly) but that is one area where he can grow in the off-seasons. Everything else about him--skill, smarts, shiftiness, stickhandling--looks superb, though.
For sure, he has some many abilities that look like that will make him a very good NHLer for us for a long time. You can see the difference along the boards between Nico and Bratt, who is a year older, where Bratt has been able to shield the puck with his body and shake off checks, and Nico has been shoved over on a number of occasions. Another year and some more muscle in the offseason should help with that a lot.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I' d like him to do whatever Zacha did this off season. Our #1 and #1A centers for the next decade god willing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I'd say a much bigger factor is situations more than era. You look at those seasons and just about everyone one of those guys got thrusted into top line situations with good players very early...Gomez had Mogilny, Henrique had Parise and Kovalchuk...the era certainly wasn't high scoring for Gomez. Brendan Morrison was another that found himself in a very good position in the top 6.

Pat Verbeek though, really had no one. He was the 3rd leading scorer on his team as a rookie. Era's aside that was a solid rookie performances without a lot of help. Verbeek was on a team where 61 points led the the team. Brendan Morrison on the other hand, his 46 points were 6th on the team behind Sykora, Holik, Rolston Arnott and Elias It's too easy to say Verbeek played in a "High scoring era". His team wasn't a part of that high scoring era. In no way would I elevate Morrison's season over Verbeek even though one played in a high scoring era and one played in the dead puck era.

Then you look at someone like Patrick Elias, a far more talented player than any on the list at any period of time, who played largely in a bottom 6 role his rookie season. Therefore he's not on the list.

Situations are far more important.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
For sure, he has some many abilities that look like that will make him a very good NHLer for us for a long time. You can see the difference along the boards between Nico and Bratt, who is a year older, where Bratt has been able to shield the puck with his body and shake off checks, and Nico has been shoved over on a number of occasions. Another year and some more muscle in the offseason should help with that a lot.

Once Nico can shake off checks better and shield the puck better like you said, he will be a truly amazing player. Just another year of growth will help a lot, especially if he makes a goal of adding more muscle to his frame.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
stop it, I'm in class and it's rude to be this erect
Especially when you're the teacher...

Probably ending up in jail because the judge wouldn't understand your 15 site long explanation of why this 18yo Swiss boy has control over your body.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'd say a much bigger factor is situations more than era. You look at those seasons and just about everyone one of those guys got thrusted into top line situations with good players very early...Gomez had Mogilny, Henrique had Parise and Kovalchuk...the era certainly wasn't high scoring for Gomez. Brendan Morrison was another that found himself in a very good position in the top 6.

Pat Verbeek though, really had no one. He was the 3rd leading scorer on his team as a rookie. Era's aside that was a solid rookie performances without a lot of help. Verbeek was on a team where 61 points led the the team. Brendan Morrison on the other hand, his 46 points were 6th on the team behind Sykora, Holik, Rolston Arnott and Elias It's too easy to say Verbeek played in a "High scoring era". His team wasn't a part of that high scoring era. In no way would I elevate Morrison's season over Verbeek even though one played in a high scoring era and one played in the dead puck era.

Then you look at someone like Patrick Elias, a far more talented player than any on the list at any period of time, who played largely in a bottom 6 role his rookie season. Therefore he's not on the list.

Situations are far more important.

Situations are always going to be a bigger factor than era because if a player didn't play on the power play, it doesn't matter what era he was in. This should be obvious but apparently it's not. By all appearances Verbeek spent most of his season on PP1. It was a terrible team but he probably got lots of ice time on said team.

Meanwhile the 2000 Devils outscored the 1984 Devils by 20 goals in 2 more games, so let's call it 14 goals.

Elias was not yet a star player and that's why his rookie numbers aren't very good. He would've gotten more on a worse team, but I doubt he could've done what Gomez did.

It looks like Hischier will start out on PP1, so he will have a decent shot at ending up in the top 5 there if he can stay healthy and stay on PP1.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
stop it, I'm in class and it's rude to be this erect

Probably ending up in jail because the judge wouldn't understand your 15 site long explanation of why this 18yo Swiss boy has control over your body.
e31.jpg

Reactions: OmNomNom

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I was hesitant to give gawdy point projections to Nico purely out of concern for the team around him. He can't get assists if the rest of the team isn't scoring, and he can't score if the rest of the team can't get him the puck.

But now I'm ready to get on the optimism train. Looking at our top-9 I can't see a situation where he isn't put with competent offensive players.

I think purely on skill alone he could have gotten 40 points....now I'm upping my expectation to 50 points. This is going to be a fun season.

Reactions: VoidCreature

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i still can't believe bratt was able to stand up checks as well as he did. i think there was a play behind schneider maybe? against either the caps or the rags? but someone went for a hit and either slipped, or bounced off, but a poster mentioned how bratt didn't budge.

i need to see that clip again

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i still can't believe bratt was able to stand up checks as well as he did. i think there was a play behind schneider maybe? against either the caps or the rags? but someone went for a hit and either slipped, or bounced off, but a poster mentioned how bratt didn't budge.

i need to see that clip again
I was disappointed Bratt wasn't in the lineup yesterday.

Reactions: OmNomNom

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney

:laugh:
"In my defence, your honour, have you seen his soft hands and two-way play? Let's look at some highlights, shall we-"
"NOT IN MY COURTROOM, PERVERT!"

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was hesitant to give gawdy point projections to Nico purely out of concern for the team around him. He can't get assists if the rest of the team isn't scoring, and he can't score if the rest of the team can't get him the puck.

But now I'm ready to get on the optimism train. Looking at our top-9 I can't see a situation where he isn't put with competent offensive players.

I think purely on skill alone he could have gotten 40 points....now I'm upping my expectation to 50 points. This is going to be a fun season.
I'm in for 50+ as well. Looks like he is going to play with Mojo, and Stafford has thus far proven capable of burying chances.

Our PP looks like it will have very solid talent as well.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I thought he wasn't going to be able to handle the preseason due to him having the body of a hairless 13 year old dutch boy but his play has blown my socks off. The key to his personal success is the devils coachs making sure the use baby gloves the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->