13,000 watch AHL Game in Columbus last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
K I'll give you some background

Double-Shift Lassés said:
Don't get me wrong. I like Panzer. He may be better than some players with the CBJ, I don't know. This thread isn't about skills vs. size and I didn't bring it up in my post. My point is, he'd be one of the best players on a "replacement" CBJ. This team, no matter how well-coached, would not be as good as a team with Zherdev, Nash, etc., and therefore I don't think you can expect fans to support it like they did, even with lower ticket prices. The Columbus Clippers are the New York Yankees AAA affiliate. You think if they sent that entire roster to NY and called it the Yankees, that people would support it as they do Jeter/Sheffield cast?

I believe most of the NHL players are in the top 5% but arnt necessarily the top 1% of that 5% and I dont think theres alot of difference within that 5%.

The difference comes when you supply them with training and they get the high level competition under their belts.

Once in a blue moon, the heavens align and a supper competitor is combined with a truely gifted skilled player, but there are only so many Gretskeys and Lemeuxs to go around(I havnt seen any on alot of rosters in the NHL lately).

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Double-Shift Lassés said:
No amount of NHL-caliber coaching is going to turn Jeff Panzer (last night's lone goal scorer) into Nicolai Zherdev. The idea of replacement players is a fine one for folks who'd really like to stick it to the union, but in the real world, I just don't see it having the effect they hope it would.

I am willing to bet Zherdev would be one of the players crossing the line. Any of the younger prospect/players on any of the teams could cross knowing that 850,000 dollars is better than what they can earn anywhere else. These guys are young adn not yet wealthy enough to turn down that sort of cash to play. The PA is going to sell them out anyways so why not try to get a better deal from the owners if you cross the line.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Chayos1 said:
I am willing to bet Zherdev would be one of the players crossing the line. Any of the younger prospect/players on any of the teams could cross knowing that 850,000 dollars is better than what they can earn anywhere else. These guys are young adn not yet wealthy enough to turn down that sort of cash to play. The PA is going to sell them out anyways so why not try to get a better deal from the owners if you cross the line.

Would they pay that kind of money to replacement players?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
eye said:
Earlier this year over 17,000 watched the Baby Leafs replacement players in the Air Canada Centre and last night over 13,000 watched the Crunch play in the Nationwide Arena in Columbus. Edmonton fans have been very supportive of the Roadrunners with many crowds over 10,000.

The NHL may not sellout with replacement players out of the gate but as new players become familiar names and high picks develop into the next generation of stars the NHL can and IMO will regain most of the fans that used to support the old NHL. I have now watched a dozen AHL games this year and the entertainment value by large has been better than what I watched in the NHL the last 5 years. NHL players in the AHL are only blending in. Very few if any have stood out in the games I have watched which proves that AHL players are better than many fans think or many NHL players are not the superior talents that many believe.

Put replacement players into NHL uniforms next year at AHL ticket pricing to start off and watch how hockey grows and how current NHL players return to the game at a small % of what they could have salvaged now.
Take it easy tiger -- They've done these kinds of games before and turnout is about on par with an Ohio State Hockey game. Definitely the free tickets to PSL's made a huge difference.

Hm... i'm trying to use the bold in my posts more, how am i doing?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
AM said:
I believe most of the NHL players are in the top 5% but arnt necessarily the top 1% of that 5% and I dont think theres alot of difference within that 5%.

The difference comes when you supply them with training and they get the high level competition under their belts.

Once in a blue moon, the heavens align and a supper competitor is combined with a truely gifted skilled player, but there are only so many Gretskeys and Lemeuxs to go around(I havnt seen any on alot of rosters in the NHL lately).

But I'm talking about AHL guys. Are you putting them in that 5% as well? So everyone outside of your top 1% (not sure who that includes) is pretty much interchangable, if only given NHL training and competition? Maybe you're right, but I don't think so.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
eye said:
Put replacement players into NHL uniforms next year at AHL ticket pricing to start off and watch how hockey grows and how current NHL players return to the game at a small % of what they could have salvaged now.

Might want to do just a bit of checking up on history before making brazen, baseless declarations. As in the NFL, circa 1987, baseball scabs, spring training, in the early 90s.

"Hockey will grow"???? Riiiiiiiigt. :lol Why stop at AHL players as replacements? Get some 10 year olds off the street, put them in NHL uniforms and make them pay the owners to play. :dunce:

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
ACC1224 said:
Would they pay that kind of money to replacement players?

Why not? I guess they would honor signed contracts. They would probably pay the Bohonos' of this world the league minimum, but I guess they'd pay fair value for NHLers and good prospects. If they ask for "replacement players", their goal will be to break the union by having the max amount of real players cross the line, which means they'd have to pay well enough.

There are owners who think 70% of their players would cross. They'd almost have a full NHLers line up, I think they would draw enough people to cover costs.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Replacements would probably be on 20 day tryout contracts. Who wouldnt want to be a replacement? I'd love to do it. To play for the Sens even for one game? I'd give anything to do that. Who wouldnt? Only guys who would have shot on their own merits when the labour disruption is over.

IF 70% of players cross, its not a strike anymore I wouldnt think. Cant see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->