1290 Radio, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How many heard Munz try to tell listeners that Lowry's 4 points in 25 games and the 3rd line is fine because the Jets only expect him/them to play on 180 feet of ice?

Do we have the only 3 players in the league that only need to commit to playing a 180 foot game?
i didn't hear it but i wouldn't be surprised. imo Lowry seems to escape some criticism as being a one-dimensional player (that dimension being defense). people i hear on-air (munz, edmonds, toth, fan-line) dub him as a strong 200 ft player but forget the offensive side. He's a top 9 forward and is nowhere close to top 9 production, not even from an efficiency (p/60) standpoint

i had a bit of a smirk this morning when Toth was talking about Laine on the PP and comparing to Ovie and Stamkos....Toth claims Ovie and Stamkos move a lot on the PP and hit the net more often than Laine, then says "ill research it later," lol.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
toth always brings up an issue without checking data when he mentioned laine misses the net more than anyone else...I have seen ovie miss the net a number of times in agame yet toth jumps on laine all the time...toth seems to have an grudge against laine about something.

Reactions: Steve1964

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
toth always brings up an issue without checking data when he mentioned laine misses the net more than anyone else...I have seen ovie miss the net a number of times in agame yet toth jumps on laine all the time...toth seems to have an grudge against laine about something.
it seems so. i remember last season Toth would parrot the fact he'd sit at games and tally all the times Laine, and only Laine, failed to clear the zone or turned the puck over. These are same pair of eyes that claimed he was at a game this summer where Matt Nichols threw a pass that traveled 80 air yards :laugh:.

Reactions: Jets 31

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
His goal call is nails on a chalkboard bad - and when they play the highlights the day after a win if the Jets scored more than twice it's excruciating to listen to.
It's obvious that he loves the sound of his own voice. He wants people to go "man, what an entertaining play-by-play guy", instead of people going "what an exciting game". He's like someone imitating the other really annoying play-by-play announcer from Pittsburgh.

It's not about you, Paul, it's about the action.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
How many heard Munz try to tell listeners that Lowry's 4 points in 25 games and the 3rd line is fine because the Jets only expect him/them to play on 180 feet of ice?

Do we have the only 3 players in the league that only need to commit to playing a 180 foot game?
People think Laine misses the net too much , i've seen Lowry miss the entire net from 3 feet out . :laugh:

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
It's time to go rink side and bring in our 7:30am guest...

Que the music : Mickey (Toni Basil)

7:30am guest : "The Winnipeg Jets are the best team in the NHL. In fact the Winnipeg Jets are the best team in the HISTORY of the NHL. No, the Winnipeg Jets are indeed the best team in the history of professional sports. Moreover, each member of the Winnipeg Jets are complete Saints that never make an error in their lives."

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I really wish all the on-air personalities at 1290 would hop in the way-back machine and give the entire "I could make you cry in that room" interview a listen so that they could once and for all understand that it wasn't Paul Maurice claiming to be some sort of hard-ass coach who was bringing players to tears if they didn't meet his high expectations. Hustler just dragged the quote out again as an indication of how much the NHL has changed - "could Paul Maurice even get away with a statement like that now?" Uh, yeah he could...since the quote wasn't about him being mean to players at all lol...

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
I really wish all the on-air personalities at 1290 would hop in the way-back machine and give the entire "I could make you cry in that room" interview a listen so that they could once and for all understand that it wasn't Paul Maurice claiming to be some sort of hard-ass coach who was bringing players to tears if they didn't meet his high expectations. Hustler just dragged the quote out again as an indication of how much the NHL has changed - "could Paul Maurice even get away with a statement like that now?" Uh, yeah he could...since the quote wasn't about him being mean to players at all lol...
Don't dazzle Alcoholic Andrew with facts. He is much too busy thinking about beer - and laughing/giggling like a school girl every few words into a sentence.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014

I've never heard Munz really criticize any player.

Reactions: PaperRockChamp

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I happily listen to 1290 daily from 730-11. They are just part of my weekday mornings.

I like all 3 of them, no real issue.

I noticed this season Munz and Edmunds drole on about nothing and realize when they're done talking that I tuned them out.

They serve no purpose on the show. Those 2 never ever offer anything that you didn't already know from a quick glance at the post game stats.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
i didn't hear it but i wouldn't be surprised. imo Lowry seems to escape some criticism as being a one-dimensional player (that dimension being defense). people i hear on-air (munz, edmonds, toth, fan-line) dub him as a strong 200 ft player but forget the offensive side. He's a top 9 forward and is nowhere close to top 9 production, not even from an efficiency (p/60) standpoint

i had a bit of a smirk this morning when Toth was talking about Laine on the PP and comparing to Ovie and Stamkos....Toth claims Ovie and Stamkos move a lot on the PP and hit the net more often than Laine, then says "ill research it later," lol.
I would contend that Lowry is the most over rated player on the roster. His best offensive year had hin collect 1/3 of his points on the PP. That said I can see him getting a Tanev like extension, because it would be the most TNSE thing ever, when Copp and Gustafson look like capable replacements.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I would contend that Lowry is the most over rated player on the roster. His best offensive year had hin collect 1/3 of his points on the PP. That said I can see him getting a Tanev like extension, because it would be the most TNSE thing ever, when Copp and Gustafson look like capable replacements.
i think his best offensive season in terms of overall scoring efficiency and where the points where coming from (5v5 vs pp) was 17-18. But it's the clear outlier in his pt production. as you said his career high came off the strength of getting 140 PP mins that season (has 107 PP mins in all his other seasons combined)

at 5v5:

SeasonGPPointsPoints/GPPoints/60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i think his best offensive season in terms of overall scoring efficiency and where the points where coming from (5v5 vs pp) was 17-18. But it's the clear outlier in his pt production. as you said his career high came off the strength of getting 140 PP mins that season (has 107 PP mins in all his other seasons combined)

at 5v5:

SeasonGPPointsPoints/GPPoints/60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So there are 2 outliers, 2018 and 2020.

He has been 'not bad' most other years. A little more like 4th line than 3rd line production but making up for it with defensive play. So far this year though, he looks more like James Wright than a 3rd line, or even 4th line C.

I hope he is just in a bit of a slump and that he gets back to his normal pace for the year. If not, it may be time to drop him down to the 4th line or part ways with him altogether.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So there are 2 outliers, 2018 and 2020.

He has been 'not bad' most other years. A little more like 4th line than 3rd line production but making up for it with defensive play. So far this year though, he looks more like James Wright than a 3rd line, or even 4th line C.

I hope he is just in a bit of a slump and that he gets back to his normal pace for the year. If not, it may be time to drop him down to the 4th line or part ways with him altogether.
Lowry has hands of stone but i really like his defensive game and size and PK ability . I still think he has a spot on the Jets even without scoring but i really would like a little bit of scoring once in a while . ;)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Jim and Troy fight about if the Jets are better defensively this year over last. Troy saying they are worse and Hellebuyck is just better, Jim saying they have been better defensively. They hit a stalemate. Then Jim puts the handcuffs on Troy:

“Let’s ask Dennis Beyak next”

Of course Beyak is going to pump the Jets tires and Troy can’t say anything about it. Nicely done Jim!

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
He's our most physical player right now, and usually decent in the faceoff circle. I have no problems with him as our number three centre.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I noticed this season Munz and Edmunds drole on about nothing and realize when they're done talking that I tuned them out.

They serve no purpose on the show. Those 2 never ever offer anything that you didn't already know from a quick glance at the post game stats.
giphy.gif

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Jim: trade Buff for a good 4th liner that could put up 20 pts

Buff is a 50 pt dman lol
The thought of the opinons from that old guy (forget the name at the moment) who calls in every post game show who knows very little and starts his comments with a rhetorical question gives me nightmares lol

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I just turned my radio on this morning but I'm waiting with baited breath to see if any callers ask about the new Akim Aliu story when he was with the Jets ECHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->