1290 Radio, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guido Borsato

Mar 10, 2017
Kevin Brandt, is that his name?

I hear him on 1290 "break the news" (see my previous post with a rant on repeatedly mishandling that statement on the station) that Bill Peters has been fired from the Calgary Flames.

So what do I do? Quickly text it out to a couple of buddies because I want to be the one to "break the news" to them!

Get home for lunch a short time later, fire up the laptop and do my checks - SN Jeff Marek is the one that reported it; TSN says nothing is official yet.

Fifteen minutes later, still gathering info, refresh SN website and they retract the part about firing Peters and say they are still investigating.

Turn on the TV, see if they are talking about anything there. Nothing.

Here are my issues:

1) You botched the "breaking news" term AGAIN
2) You are relying on your direct competition for your "news"
3) You aren't cross-referencing the direct competition with the only person that really matters - Bob McKenzie (who happens to work with....wait for it...TSN, the very radio station you represent)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Why do they have Edmonds or whoever on if the dude isn't going to answer questions? Or, shouldn't everyone have an understanding in advance of the general topics?

Yeah, he sounded genuinely taken aback he was asked about Babcock, Peters etc. Like it's pretty much the biggest story in hockey in awhile, do you think you won't be asked your opinion on it? Maybe Paul hadn't had his coffee yet.

Jetter76

Nov 1, 2013
Calgary
Yeah, he sounded genuinely taken aback he was asked about Babcock, Peters etc. Like it's pretty much the biggest story in hockey in awhile, do you think you won't be asked your opinion on it? Maybe Paul hadn't had his coffee yet.
That was my initial thought as well. He sounded offended that Toth asked the question about Backcock. What did he think they were going to talk about.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Westwood discusses his personal experiences with old-time "cranky" coach Murphy and "player coach" Reinebold, as he discusses which type is the greater motivator. Except, Westwood had one job - kick the ball through the uprights. A hamster could have coached him and the level of motivation would still be the same.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Last caller...insinuates it was ok for Peters to use that word because it was directed at the music not the person. Unbelievable. Can we get some decent callers in the 9:00 o'clock hour??
The music may be awful, but what kind of narcissist can think he can get away with hate talk in today's day and age. If he got a punch to the face for that, he would have had it coming.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
And as much as I dump on Toth I do agree with him on the drinking by the Bombers at the parade. If that's how you want to conduct yourself and be remembered than have at it.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Paul Edmonds giving Jim Toth plenty of attitude this morning. I guess the California time change really made him cranky :sarcasm:.
I just heard that interview , if i was Toth i would have given Edmonds hell , Edmonds knew he was getting interviewed this morning and you act like 1290 is bothering you , wow . :shakehead

Reactions: Naturaledge

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
And as much as I dump on Toth I do agree with him on the drinking by the Bombers at the parade. If that's how you want to conduct yourself and be remembered than have at it.

Don't listen to 1290 but I frequent this thread to enjoy the 1290 bashing.

So someone actually spoke up about the way the Blue Bombers conducted themselves in the parade, GOOD swigging back canned beers made the whole thing look bush league and really low class, WTF was with guys taking their shirts off like middle school punks? I mean kids taking time off school don't need to see players half cut and sucking on brewski's, the whole debacle lasted 15 minutes and the players couldn't wait another hour to have a few drinks!?!

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
So someone actually spoke up about the way the Blue Bombers conducted themselves in the parade, GOOD swigging back canned beers made the whole thing look bush league and really low class, WTF was with guys taking their shirts off like middle school punks? I mean kids taking time off school don't need to see players half cut and sucking on brewski's, the whole debacle lasted 15 minutes and the players couldn't wait another hour to have a few drinks!?!

The exact reasons I didn't take my kids. Streveler trying to Gronk his way onto every screen on the planet was kinda pathetic.
I don't care what they do privately as a team, but parades get out of hand for family events.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The exact reasons I didn't take my kids. Streveler trying to Gronk his way onto every screen on the planet was kinda pathetic.
I don't care what they do privately as a team, but parades get out of hand for family events.

Streveler came across as a real tool, talk about trying too hard to be something you're not! Trying to emulate Gronk or whoever was pretty pathetic!

The F bombs from the players during the speeches at the Forks in front of fans with families and kids was a really nice finishing touch from a pretty classless group!

Reactions: KB1971

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Don't listen to 1290 but I frequent this thread to enjoy the 1290 bashing.

Don't look at the highlights from the past two Stanley Cup parades, Super Bowl parade, World Series parades, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad