1290 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I never quite understand the reasoning there. The implciation is that the players wouldn't play their best without this happening. It's the stanley cup playoffs. I find it hard to believe that the players aren't already putting in 100% effort.

yeah totally nonsense ftmp. I can see a team rallying around a great performance by a goalie or something like that...

Westwood gets a tad too "metaphysical" at times...too much "heart and soul" crap.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
yeah I have some issues with the whole MSL's mom storyline too. It ends up sounding like MSL and the Rangers should all be glad his mum died so they could get inspired to win the cup. Frankly I don't believe it had the sort of impact Westwood seems to think it did.

I was thinking about this too, listening on the way in to work. It's a bit of an uncomfortable notion to talk about it like that, but with the parity in the NHL, anything that a team can rally around could make the difference. Psychology plays a huge role in sports...look at the performance of the Bombers D after Richard Harris died.

Then again, the media loves Hollywood narratives.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Edmonds must have a bad memory. He says he and the Goldeyes were in Sioux Falls when it was made official that the NHL was returning to Winnipeg. They weren't, they were in Winnipeg cause we went to the game to sober up.

Perhaps he's referring to when the Globe article was published and people partied at Portage & Main?

Perhaps he's referring to the day before when the media announcements went out for 'a very special announcement'?

May 31, 2011 wasn't exactly a surprise by the end.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
They are going off again on The BS about MSL's mom passing and how the Rangers would not have gotten through without having that to rally around. I just don't buy it. I mean I'm sure there was a bit of a "rally" around that but I don't know how you can say they wouldn't have been able to rally around something else or just up their game in a similar way without the death of a teammate's mom.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
They are going off again on The BS about MSL's mom passing and how the Rangers would not have gotten through without having that to rally around. I just don't buy it. I mean I'm sure there was a bit of a "rally" around that but I don't know how you can say they wouldn't have been able to rally around something else or just up their game in a similar way without the death of a teammate's mom.

Didn't listen today but again just need to shake my head at this. Not sure of today but last time they brought this up Troy went on about how every pro athlete would want to play immediately after a personal loss like this, well I'm not so sure, that's kind of a blanket statement...I know if I were in that situation I wouldn't be able to play..would that make me less of an athlete in Troy's mind.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Edmonds must have a bad memory. He says he and the Goldeyes were in Sioux Falls when it was made official that the NHL was returning to Winnipeg. They weren't, they were in Winnipeg cause we went to the game to sober up.

Was that the "official" release at the Forks, or the one on Thursday night in May?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Didn't listen today but again just need to shake my head at this. Not sure of today but last time they brought this up Troy went on about how every pro athlete would want to play immediately after a personal loss like this, well I'm not so sure, that's kind of a blanket statement...I know if I were in that situation I wouldn't be able to play..would that make me less of an athlete in Troy's mind.

it would make you not a pro athlete, obviously.

"every pro athlete would want to play immediately after a personal loss" therefore, wanting to play immediately after a personal loss is a qualifier of a pro athlete, and regardless of wether you get paid to play your sport, if you don't do this you don't qualify.

Don't you know? Every pro athlete has the exact same mindset and deal with greif/loss in the exact same way. Everyone knows that. It's one of the questions at the combine. "would you play the day after your mom died?" no matter how the rest of your interview goes, if you said no to that question your out- never even drafted.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't buy it either. Complete and utter nonsense. Hockey is nuts. Anything can happen over a handful of games.

The best goalie on the planet played like the best goalie on the planer and the team won some games. LA sure seemed to rally well a couple times without any deaths in their families.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't buy it either. Complete and utter nonsense. Hockey is nuts. Anything can happen over a handful of games.

The best goalie on the planet played like the best goalie on the planer and the team won some games. LA sure seemed to rally well a couple times without any deaths in their families.

yeah I was actually going to make the same point...LA looked done last night when The Hawks went up 2 - 0 in the first but somehow they managed to rally without anyone loosing a loved one. :amazed: On top of that, The Hawks looked pretty done three games back when LA went up 3 - 1 in the series but they managed to come pretty dang close to rallying and taking the series and nobody had to die there either. :amazed:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
yeah I was actually going to make the same point...LA looked done last night when The Hawks went up 2 - 0 in the first but somehow they managed to rally without anyone loosing a loved one. :amazed: On top of that, The Hawks looked pretty done three games back when LA went up 3 - 1 in the series but they managed to come pretty dang close to rallying and taking the series and nobody had to die there either. :amazed:

OR perhaps they all lost family members and we simply haven't heard about it.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Does anyone remember Westwood's take on MSL demanding to be traded from Tampa in the first place? I don't but I imagine he was all ranty about that also with a few are you freakin kidding me's thrown in. He just seems tp be all over the place but I guess he needs to have something to talk about.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
yeah totally nonsense ftmp. I can see a team rallying around a great performance by a goalie or something like that...

Westwood gets a tad too "metaphysical" at times...too much "heart and soul" crap.

Westwood often comes up with these crazy theories, like how Enstrom turning down the Olympic team to focus on Winnipeg is going to lose him respect in the dressing room, cause a rift with other players, etc.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow

maybe the death of Mike Richards' career as a top 6 forward?

Galbatross

Oct 29, 2013
Lol troy Westwood is a 9/11 truther. I spotted him retweeting some fake CNN tweets about a CIA Agent coming forth with new information

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lol, they actually discussed this briefly on the show this morning. Basically Edmonds razzed Troy a bit about falling for the fake CNN tweet and Troy jokingly laughed it off as a stupid mistake on his part...but then went on to mention that he finds some things fishy about the whole 9/11 deal such as how the buildings fell. Edmonds then mentioned having been in New York around that time and that he has no doubt there was no conspiracy, at which point Matt fairly stiffly moved the convo onto a different subject. :laugh:

So yeah...Westwood is a truther, and Edmonds is not. lol...

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The best part of today's show was Paul's horrible "expert" beer analysis.

He very clearly doesn't know the difference between a lager and an ale or which one is heavier. He also assumed a random beer from Belgium will taste similar to Heineken (it won't) and that a micro-brew from Alberta will taste like a more generic Canadian beer. Weird talk from a self-proclaimed beer expert.

Lol. I don't blame a guy for not knowing, but he was so far off base while claiming to know what he was talking about that I found it funny.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

He very clearly doesn't know the difference between a lager and an ale or which one is heavier. He also assumed a random beer from Belgium will taste similar to Heineken (it won't) and that a micro-brew from Alberta will taste like a more generic Canadian beer. Weird talk from a self-proclaimed beer expert.

Lol. I don't blame a guy for not knowing, but he was so far off base while claiming to know what he was talking about that I found it funny.

Apparently Edmonds thinks Sol is the best beer. It's not even a top 5 Mexican beer IMO. Locals in Mexico make fun of Corona and Sol...they know it's only tourists who drink it.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

So their beer analysis is akin to their hockey analysis then.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
So their beer analysis is akin to their hockey analysis then.

People who drink Coors Light should be sent to Mars, or further.

And guys who drink any US brand should be barred from watching sports on TV for a year. It is obvious they have been sucked in by advertising.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Haven't been listening for the past three weeks as I struggle through some ups and downs - sad to see that I haven't really missed anything.

After the last seven months or so, and the last four weeks in particular, I have even more respect for the Bell Let's Talk initiative.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

And guys who drink any US brand should be barred from watching sports on TV for a year. It is obvious they have been sucked in by advertising.

There are a ton of nice american Micro Brews and I like some Sam Adam's beers, but their large scale beers are blah.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I don't know I think guys who enjoy a cold Coors light think beer snobs are already from Mars and one planet to cohabitate in is quite enough ;)

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->