TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
because in spite of how annoying it can be, I'd still rather listen to the Jets discussion (and local sports in general) than any other radio alternative. It's better than nothing (most of the time.)

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The BS and the Jets propaganda machine (Edmonds/Kidd) are all happy with Buff’s pinch. Even when Toth correctly explains the risk/reward which was an upside of a 3 on 2 Vs a downside of a breakaway for a Kuznetsov. They like that risk. What’s wrong with Buff backing off and Wheeler with the back pressure?

In hindsight there is no doubt Buff should have played it differently. It was risky, aggressive defense. If it had worked, maybe he scores and is the hero.

I'm not saying I agree with Buff's decision. I think he should back off in that situation 100% of the time. But it was a split second decision that could have worked out either well or badly. I can cut him a little slack.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
In hindsight there is no doubt Buff should have played it differently. It was risky, aggressive defense. If it had worked, maybe he scores and is the hero.

I'm not saying I agree with Buff's decision. I think he should back off in that situation 100% of the time. But it was a split second decision that could have worked out either well or badly. I can cut him a little slack.

yeah, the problem is that he'd been on the ice most of the OT already (after playing something like 29 minutes in the game yet!), was gassed, and therefore made the split second decision to try the risky because he didn't have the legs to get back and defend in time. I just can't comprehend why guys like Morrisey and Ehlers and Stastny even aren't given way more time in OT.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
yeah, the problem is that he'd been on the ice most of the OT already (after playing something like 29 minutes in the game yet!), was gassed, and therefore made the split second decision to try the risky because he didn't have the legs to get back and defend in time. I just can't comprehend why guys like Morrisey and Ehlers and Stastny even aren't given way more time in OT.
Didn’t Stastny and Laine take the 2nd shift in OT?

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Didn’t Stastny and Laine take the 2nd shift in OT?

probably. Think they were out there for all of about 30 seconds. Then Buff was out for the PK for a minute and a half and then he was pretty much right back out again after that...really after playing 29 minutes of the game already he probably shouldn't have been out in the OT at all.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
probably. Think they were out there for all of about 30 seconds. Then Buff was out for the PK for a minute and a half and then he was pretty much right back out again after that...

What people seem to forget is that the Caps has a 4 on 3 PP. when that ended it became 4 on 4. 2 D on the ice at a time for 3+ minutes. Chiarot Myers Morrissey were all used before Buff went back out there. Laine & Stastny did have some 4 on 4 time

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Toth suggesting star players shouldn’t block shots. What’s a guy like Laine supposed to do? He’s in the shooting lane, guy takes a shot and he gets hit. Is he supposed to actively avoid being in shooting lanes? I mean imagine how it would go over if star players were making an effort to vacate shooting lanes all game long.

Also, both Toth and Kevin o really need to stop the almost constant equivocation. We all know you guys always “get” what the other guy (or the fans) perspective is. You “get it.” Telling us all you “get” what we’re saying and then presenting a counter point which makes it apparent that you sorta don’t actually get what we’re saying, or that you are pretending we’re saying something quite different from what we’re actually saying is annoying as hell.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Toth suggesting star players shouldn’t block shots. What’s a guy like Laine supposed to do? He’s in the shooting lane, guy takes a shot and he gets hit. Is he supposed to actively avoid being in shooting lanes? I mean imagine how it would go over if star players were making an effort to vacate shooting lanes all game long.

Also, both Toth and Kevin o really need to stop the almost constant equivocation. We all know you guys always “get” what the other guy (or the fans) perspective is. You “get it.” Telling us all you “get” what we’re saying and then presenting a counter point which makes it apparent that you sorta don’t actually get what we’re saying, or that you are pretending we’re saying something quite different from what we’re actually saying is annoying as hell.

Well said. I guess its likely that Toth is merely parroting what he watched on TSN immediately after the game. And I agree: his constant equivocation is actually a front for BS.. he needs to *man up*, stick to his guns, make his argument, but please - stop with the watered down approach. Perhaps he doesn't care enough to form a real opinion?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Ya i don't know how they are supposed to get out of the way , just rest along the boards and let the shooter walk right in ? It's beyond stupid to say that , now if Laine was going down and diving in front of shots like Tanev , that would be dumb but to say they just get out of the way , that's just stupid . :loony:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Well said. I guess its likely that Toth is merely parroting what he watched on TSN immediately after the game. And I agree: his constant equivocation is actually a front for BS.. he needs to *man up*, stick to his guns, make his argument, but please - stop with the watered down approach. Perhaps he doesn't care enough to form a real opinion?

I'll take Toth not forming an opinion over Kevin forming an opinion every day of the week. Kevin is downright objectionable, and his opinions follow suit. He has ruined the midday show and the game show.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
because in spite of how annoying it can be, I'd still rather listen to the Jets discussion (and local sports in general) than any other radio alternative. It's better than nothing (most of the time.)
Indeed. It's also better than HCAN's attention-challenged panel. I can't even watch that anymore if Kypreos is on. It's like he's auditioning for a role that requires a demonic laugh....just awful. They spend the majority of time talking about BS like their kid's soccer games or what Mac is having for dinner. I like Millard but even he can't rein in those other bozos

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sometimes it feels like Toth just started watching the NHL . Today I heard there is a 10-15 guys in conversation for the Hart....just no.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

He did the right thing blocking the shot. He did the wrong thing not having proper foot/ankle protection.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

To be fair, this is just human nature.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This isn't about 1290 but is about the topic they were discussing so ..... on topic?

I'd like to hear from some of our goalies here on this subject. Players are always going to be hit by some shot attempts, whether they are deliberately blocking shots or not. But how do goalies feel? Would they rather players deliberately block shots? Or would they rather the players give them a clear view of the shot? Where is the dividing line between the two? Should D men try to block and forwards try to give goalies a view? Or the opposite?

I'm just wondering if there is an argument to be made for star forwards to get out of the way of shots or not. Give the goalie a good look and try to deflect the shots with their sticks, or get in front of the shot? What do the goalies think?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This isn't about 1290 but is about the topic they were discussing so ..... on topic?

I'd like to hear from some of our goalies here on this subject. Players are always going to be hit by some shot attempts, whether they are deliberately blocking shots or not. But how do goalies feel? Would they rather players deliberately block shots? Or would they rather the players give them a clear view of the shot? Where is the dividing line between the two? Should D men try to block and forwards try to give goalies a view? Or the opposite?

I'm just wondering if there is an argument to be made for star forwards to get out of the way of shots or not. Give the goalie a good look and try to deflect the shots with their sticks, or get in front of the shot? What do the goalies think?

Simple reply...

"GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY"

- Goalies everywhere

Being screened is part of the game. That's the job of the other team, so you expect it. But when there is nobody between you and the shooter, and your own fat ass d-man gets in the way because he thinks he's doing you a favor.... :mad: But worse is a shot that's 3 feet off the ice, you have it lined up, it's going to hit you in the chest, and then someone on your team thinks deflecting it is a real good idea. I'll stop here...

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Simple reply...

"GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY"

- Goalies everywhere

:laugh: Yeah, I've heard that one - but if they think on it a bit more, do they still say that? If so, are they right? Would they be better off making another 10-15 stops per game but seeing the puck more easily? Or do they let fewer in if those 10-15 are blocked but they have a tougher time tracking the puck because of traffic?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

If you're going to get in the way, get in the way. Don't move, don't lift your leg, if you're going to block it, block it. If you're going to get your stick in the way, put it on the ice and make sure it's you meet it just as it's being shot, do not try to deflect it once it's on it's way with your stick, leave it alone.

Screens are a part of the game and that will include your own players, looking around them isn't too hard, you can see which side or at what level the puck is coming in at. The worst is when it's right at your player and he moves out of the way. You expect that from the opposition not your own players.

Reactions: Jets 31

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
Having played a fair amount of beer league hockey, my expertise (because I didn't like blocking shots either) tells me that you block the shot facing forward so your equipment protects you. It may still hurt like hell but the damage will be minimal.
Do not turn to the side, there is next to no padding there!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Having played a fair amount of beer league hockey, my expertise (because I didn't like blocking shots either) tells me that you block the shot facing forward so your equipment protects you. It may still hurt like hell but the damage will be minimal.
Do not turn to the side, there is next to no padding there!

I've wondered about that too. I see NHL players turning sideways to block shots all the time. Don't understand why.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I've wondered about that too. I see NHL players turning sideways to block shots all the time. Don't understand why.

I don't get it either. I played defense and some goal for 30+ years and I blocked a lot of shots. But the key to not getting hurt is to always face the shot square on.

The problem is your brain is telling you to get the hell out of the way while you are trying to get in the way... it confuses things... so you end up with some poor attempt and get hurt. You need to train yourself to do what is right and know if you do it right, you will be OK. Maybe sore, but not hurt.

Kind of OT, but it's the same for goalies. The hardest thing is to teach a young goalie is never to turn your head to the side if the puck is going to hit you in the mask ( which goes against every instinct ). This is when you get hurt. Face it straight on and let the mask do what it was designed to do.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't get it either. I played defense and some goal for 30+ years and I blocked a lot of shots. But the key to not getting hurt is to always face the shot square on.

The problem is your brain is telling you to get the hell out of the way while you are trying to get in the way... it confuses things... so you end up with some poor attempt and get hurt. You need to train yourself to do what is right and know if you do it right, you will be OK. Maybe sore, but not hurt.

Kind of OT, but it's the same for goalies. The hardest thing is to teach a young goalie is never to turn your head to the side if the puck is going to hit you in the mask ( which goes against every instinct ). This is when you get hurt. Face it straight on and let the mask do what it was designed to do.

I only played as a kid. I played D and blocked shots, almost always on the shin pads. But the shots I faced were nowhere near adult shots. Much less Laine, Buff, Chiarot shots. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->