TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Pretty valid IMO discussion this morning along the lines that the Jets could be better and still miss the post season again next season given the strength of the Central and the West in general... could be very accurate.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretty valid IMO discussion this morning along the lines that the Jets could be better and still miss the post season again next season given the strength of the Central and the West in general... could be very accurate.

Maybe but if they take care of business and go past the 100 point level which I predicted then they will be fine.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Sure but once again I feel that the other teams in the central are getting overrated by our media guys. If we take care of our own business we will be fine.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
CFL: 60 is my jam. Been asking for that for a while. I'll enjoy that show every week on the website.

Best part: Not a goddamn call in show. If I turn on my radio and hear some fan giving a "HOT TAEK" I just immediately switch to CBC,

but I guess that's just me. Considering the amount of time they spend on call in through the week, I guess it does a good enough number for them.

Last edited:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Sure but once again I feel that the other teams in the central are getting overrated by our media guys. If we take care of our own business we will be fine.

Yeah, it's like they aren't aware that we went 19-8-2 against the Central. We scored 101 goals in those 29 games, and allowed only 73. We're good against our division rivals, and it's not like this was a flukey season, for example - we've owned Chicago for two years.

We've played poorly against the Pacific, and we're a bit better than .500 against the entire Eastern conference. THAT is where we need to improve.

Forget the Central.

Edit: Further to my point - we tied Chicago for top spot for games within the division, and we had a better goal differential. 40 of a possible 58 pts.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

It's valid to a degree. But it's just as easy to make the argument that things could play out in such a way that one or two of those strong teams could suffer a fate similar to the Jets last year - tons of injuries and some bad goalie work. I mean the Jets weren't that far from a PO spot last year. A bit more luck and they could have been in. It's not really any more valid to say that all the stuff other teams have done in the off season to get better will pay off than it is to say the stuff the Jets have done will pay off. It's never going to be easy. If the Jets improve enough to get upwards of 94 points this season they're likely in and one of the other teams is now out...same as every year.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Entire Big Show this morning being spent talking about a player putting hands on an official.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Entire Big Show this morning being spent talking about a player putting hands on an official.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

I just don't get how a new commissioner doesn't take the opportunity to lay a whooping on a player for doing that. 1 game suspension is largely meaningless.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
CFL suspensions
All Star baseball
Golf
Tennis
UFC-Boxing match
MyPillow

We've reached peak snooze fest season folks.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah it's definitely not good sports radio time right now...I could very very easily get through life if I never heard another thing about the UFC boxing crap...

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I am possibly alone in this but I wish they had a 1 or 2 hour wrestling show one week night evening.

Pros: less Rome, the wife hates wrestling so me listening to this would be payback for some of the indignities I put up with.

Cons: ?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
CFL suspensions
All Star baseball
Golf
Tennis
UFC-Boxing match
MyPillow

Yea I am not a baseball fan so sports kind of takes a dip for me from July 2nd until the NFL gets going. I don't mind the CFL and keep an eye on it but the summer is slower for sports when you don't have passion for baseball.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Oh, and don't forget the paid interview with Assiniboine Downs every week just after 4pm! Riveting stuff!

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Yea I am not a baseball fan so sports kind of takes a dip for me from July 2nd until the NFL gets going. I don't mind the CFL and keep an eye on it but the summer is slower for sports when you don't have passion for baseball.

I'm in exact same boat. NFL and Jets is why I listen to 1290. I'm a Bomber fan, but the week to week stuff doesn't interest me. Just like to watch the games.

NHL and NFL training camps can't start soon enough!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Oh, and don't forget the paid interview with Assiniboine Downs every week just after 4pm! Riveting stuff!

Don't hate on the ponies man.

Anyways as pointed out this is the slow season in sports. You can talk CFL, but there's only 4 games a week at most. You can talk some MLB, but not everyone is in to that (and with 162 games in a season no individual game is all that important).

I know we're all huge NHL marks (or else why would we be on a hockey discussion board in the middle of July) but there is literally nothing going on in the world of the Jets right now.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
How about some local content all year long ! I hear a rumour that sports not televised on TSN are played here all the time !

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am possibly alone in this but I wish they had a 1 or 2 hour wrestling show one week night evening.

Pros: less Rome, the wife hates wrestling so me listening to this would be payback for some of the indignities I put up with.

Cons: ?

Cons: It has about as much to do with sports as the Miss America Pageant does. :laugh:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
How about some local content all year long ! I hear a rumour that sports not televised on TSN are played here all the time !

Well someone was just dumping on them for covering a local sport like horseracing.

But what kind of local sports are you thinking of? The Goldeyes I guess? But beyond that... you're going to be talking about purely amateur sports. Plus the problem is then they'd have to go and send someone in to cover those sports. It's much cheaper to just get your radio hosts to do "takes" on stuff already in the news, than to go out and independently report on sporting events.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
CFL suspensions
All Star baseball
Golf
Tennis
UFC-Boxing match
MyPillow

You do realize there are more sports being played in the world than ice hockey right. People on this forum want their hockey fix, but it is the so called off season. If all TSN talked about were the Jets, it would get pretty repetitive pretty quick. Kind of like some of the forums around here.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
You do realize there are more sports being played in the world than ice hockey right. People on this forum want their hockey fix, but it is the so called off season. If all TSN talked about were the Jets, it would get pretty repetitive pretty quick. Kind of like some of the forums around here.

Without the Jets there wouldn't be TSN1290. Can't forget that.

I wish they would dedicate more time to Jets prospects so we can learn more about them. Or catch up with current players/coaches to see what they're doing in offseason. I dunno...whatever it takes to get this excessive golf talk off the radio.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You guys should listen to hockey podcasts instead of relying on local talk radio for your hockey fix. There are many good ones to keep you occupied in your commutes and whenever you wanna hear some hockey talk

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Well someone was just dumping on them for covering a local sport like horseracing.

But what kind of local sports are you thinking of? The Goldeyes I guess? But beyond that... you're going to be talking about purely amateur sports. Plus the problem is then they'd have to go and send someone in to cover those sports. It's much cheaper to just get your radio hosts to do "takes" on stuff already in the news, than to go out and independently report on sporting events.
Well they could talk about whatever is coming up in the province or locals doing well elsewhere. Spend 5 minutes here or there. I like local angles hearing about locals doing well in whatever sport that may be. Have officials of those sports on. And you can bet they would love the air time.

We have a lot of great amateur sports going on all the time not just the pros.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Without the Jets there wouldn't be TSN1290. Can't forget that.

I wish they would dedicate more time to Jets prospects so we can learn more about them. Or catch up with current players/coaches to see what they're doing in offseason. I dunno...whatever it takes to get this excessive golf talk off the radio.

Exactly, close to the only time we hear about our prospects is when we draft them, when they sign and if they are elite or their team does really well.

In this dead time of the summer they could devote time to reviewing each draft and focusing on the players who are still in the system and even touching on the ones that didn't pan out. They have lots of time to kill. A couple of segments per week for the next month and a half would be great. If I wasn't so lazy I would have sent a message to Hustler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad