Golf: 121st US Open - June 17-20

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Bryson is going to bomb and gouge again. I wonder if the USGA will throw any curveballs with the setup to try and make that strategy more difficult.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
No golf term makes me cringe more than ‘Bomb and gouge’

Doucheambo didn’t even go 100% with the driver at Winged Foot. He used a spinnier shaft for more spin and control. I just watched his final round highlights on YT, his drives were in the 280-300 carry range which are fairway finders for him, even though he missed lots of fairways. Lots of guys did

He didn’t have much of those 330-350 yard drives where he maxes out his swing speed

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
No golf term makes me cringe more than ‘Bomb and gouge’

Doucheambo didn’t even go 100% with the driver at Winged Foot. He used a spinnier shaft for more spin and control. I just watched his final round highlights on YT, his drives were in the 280-300 carry range which are fairway finders for him, even though he missed lots of fairways. Lots of guys did

He didn’t have much of those 330-350 yard drives where he maxes out his swing speed

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Torrey Pines is a pretty terrible course, but they give out a major victory at the end of the week, so I guess the course quality doesn’t matter.

If Rahm’s going to win one soon, you figure it has to be this week. I know getting COVID puts a question over his readiness for this week, but how can you not pick him after how he played at Muirfield Village? And he’s really good at Torrey Pines. I think the two Patrick’s will be in contention and potentially Morikawa, but I’m picking Rahm to win his first major.

Matt Wolff also returns this week. I’ve read rumors, but you wonder what happened? Hopefully he plays well.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Bland/Koepka duel coming down the back nine on Sunday. Love that idea. Two of the biggest heavyweights in the game duking it out to put an answer to the age old question of Richard Bland or Brooks Koepka as this generation's finest.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Henley can sorta run away this here on these next 9 but I'm not sure he has it in him to do it. If he can go -3 or -4 here on these next 9 I don't know if anyone is catching him

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Henley can sorta run away this here on these next 9 but I'm not sure he has it in him to do it. If he can go -3 or -4 here on these next 9 I don't know if anyone is catching him

He’s also Russell Henley and can easily shoot 75 the next two days.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
He’s also Russell Henley and can easily shoot 75 the next two days.

He's way less of a fluke then many of these other random major winners though. He does have 6 career titles so I'm not sure he vanishes as easily as we've seen some of these other guys do. Bland comes off more to me as a guy who will fade largely due to his age.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Major tournaments are for the mentally tough. It's why you could never count out guys like Koepka and Tiger because any golfer can hit a bad shot but they just push right back. Bouncing back from bad shots and avoiding mental mistakes are what separates the true Major champions from regular PGA golfers.

With that said, Henley with a rough short par miss on 18 to drop a shot back to -5.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is Matt Wolff one off the lead? That’d be an incredible story if he won. Louis will get his typical T2 finish. Rahm is well positioned. Xander also has a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad