TSN: 12 NHL teams will carry salary cap overages into next season

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Is 1.7 million all for the Canucks? Huh, thought it was more.

Thanks for compiling the list though. Even if it's twitter I don't like following links for easily read information like you've provided.
Thats the scheduled bonuses for the rookies. We don't have any other rookies on the team.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong, that's a further $1.7 million less that the Canucks don't get to spend next season? To re-sign Markstrom/ Tanev/ Toffoli/ Gaudette (RFA)/ Virtanen (RFA)/ Motte (RFA)/ Stecher (RFA)/ MacEwen (RFA)?

Either we lose some important depth or have less to re-sign Pete and Hughes... that's just great.

Reactions: Morrison

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, that's a further $1.7 million less that the Canucks don't get to spend next season? To re-sign Markstrom/ Tanev/ Toffoli/ Gaudette (RFA)/ Virtanen (RFA)/ Motte (RFA)/ Stecher (RFA)/ MacEwen (RFA)?

Either we lose some important depth or have less to re-sign Pete and Hughes... that's just great.

We already knew about this, it was already (or should have already been) worked into the team's internal cap plans (if they had any.)

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
But where are the Leafs? All the capologists on HFBoards stayed they were the worst off...

Most if not all of these teams have salary cap overages because of the bonuses the players have been receiving since they played really well. How can the leafs players get bonuses if they play like a rebuilding team.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
They don't
Most if not all of these teams have salary cap overages because of the bonuses the players have been receiving since they played really well. How can the leafs players get bonuses if they play like a rebuilding team.
Play like a rebuilding team so there is no answer to that question.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Cap overages are for the amounts spent over the cap this season, due to performance bonuses etc, which get added to the cap next season.
just imagine those performances of the TML would also require bonuses. :laugh:

Last edited:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Big advantage for NJ. With more teams needing to shed salary that ups the value on those cap dumps. It also helps that melnyk will probably not spend unless he needs to reach the cap floor.
NJ could walk away This summer with a 2/3 decent assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->