TSN: 12 NHL teams will carry salary cap overages into next season

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
But where are the Leafs? All the capologists on HFBoards stayed they were the worst off...
Cap overages are for the amounts spent over the cap this season, due to performance bonuses etc, which get added to the cap next season.

The leafs are not in a great cap position because they will have ~$7.8 million to sign 4-7 more players (ideally 7 so they can have some security over scratches and injuries etc). They have to sign 3 top-6 D and 4-6 depth forwards to make this happen. This results in the leafs signing half their team to league min deals pretty much, or having to cap dump some guys to sign people for more than that. Essentially it makes it very hard for the Leafs to keep a roster that was as good as it was this past season.

(Note - numbers and roster size are simplified for this explanation. I don't care)

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Have you been sleeping since the Leafs were forced to trade Kapanen for a 1st to start restructuring their cap situation?
Not in the slightest. This is what any GM has to do to manage these overages and future cap hits. Garnering a return to help address future cap issues by getting ELC is necessary to maintain their core.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

For those who don't want to click the link these are the following teams.

Dallas $2,947,866

Boston $1,928,445

Vancouver $1,700,000

Carolina $1,367,073

Buffalo $1,275,000

Chicago $877,744

St. Louis $719,405

Edmonton $682,653

Vegas $571,544

Washington $419,749

Arizona $393,902

Philadelphia $66,037

Is 1.7 million all for the Canucks? Huh, thought it was more.

Thanks for compiling the list though. Even if it's twitter I don't like following links for easily read information like you've provided.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017

Thanks for compiling the list though. Even if it's twitter I don't like following links for easily read information like you've provided.
The article also mentioned that teams can split the overage over the next 2 seasons if desired (due to the shortened season). Although, I would assume Vancouver bites the bullet next season, as Pettersson and Hughes will need contracts in 2 seasons.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Not in the slightest. This is what any GM has to do to manage these overages and future cap hits. Garnering a return to help address future cap issues by getting ELC is necessary to maintain their core.

There’s a mainboard topic about the Leafs and their cap situation every week so this has all been hashed out many times

Reactions: Lt Dan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Have you been sleeping since the Leafs were forced to trade Kapanen for a 1st to start restructuring their cap situation?
The Leafs were forced to trade their 2020 1st round pick to get rid of Patrick Marleau and his horrible contract that Kyle Dubas had nothing to do with giving him.

Trading Kapanen was from a position of strength because he was still behind Marner and Nylander in terms of being in their top six, they get the salary cap relief and the 15th overall pick in the 2020 draft which is supposed to be a very good draft class.

Spargon

May 31, 2019

Canucks is like 850k each for Hughes and Petterson.

Reactions: SI and Cogburn

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
But where are the Leafs? All the capologists on HFBoards stayed they were the worst off...

.... You didn't read what the article is actually about, did you? The Leafs are in very bad shape regarding the cap and trying to improve that miserable team.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
The Leafs were forced to trade their 2020 1st round pick to get rid of Patrick Marleau and his horrible contract that Kyle Dubas had nothing to do with giving him.

Trading Kapanen was from a position of strength because he was still behind Marner and Nylander in terms of being in their top six, they get the salary cap relief and the 15th overall pick in the 2020 draft which is supposed to be a very good draft class.

I agree with your analysis. My usage of “forced” may of been misplaced but I agree they did get good value for Kap. But realistically, that was a necessary step for them to start building this offseason.

It was either that or trade one of the big 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad