GDT: 12/27 • Kazakhstan 0, Germany 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hav-a-lot*

Canada - France
15-0 (4-0, 5-0, 6-0)
25 December 2001, Zimni Stadion, Hradec Kralove, Att: 300
1.0 (2:42) Chuck Kobasew (Spezza), 2-0 (14:07) Scott Upshall (Murray(, 3-0 (14:47) Rick Nash (Boyes), 4-0 (16:59) Jay McClement (Harrison, Murray), 6-0 (22:03) Jeff Aulin (Cammalleri, Colaicovo), 7-0 (26:41) Garth Murray (Upshall), 7-0 (26:58) Stephen Weiss (Bouwmeester, Upshall), 8-0 (31:04) Mike Cammalleri (Aulin, Paetsch) PP1, 9-0 (35:37) Brad Boyes (Cammalleri), 10-0 (40.55) Mike Cammalleri (Aulin), 11-0 (43:09) Scott Upshall (Weiss, Nash), 12-0 (45:32) Jeff Aulin (Cammalleri, McClement), 13-0 (46:19) Stephen Weiss (Colaicovo), 14-0 (49:29) Brad Boyes (Cammalleri, Aulin) PP1, 15-0 (53:51) Mike Cammalleri (Aulin).
CAN 4x2, FRA 5x2, SOG 52:10 (11:4, 20:5, 21:1)

Holy Cammalleri :amazed:

Dfire

Oct 17, 2008
I couldn't watch it but I'm glad that Huebscher (#6) scored. He's one of the most experienced guys on the roster and a regular for his DEL club but he couldn't really show his potential for the junior team so far.

For me it's hard to believe that this was the same Kazakh team that beat Finland. I knew that Germany is better than the game vs. the USA indicated but I thought this would be closer.

AgentNaslund*

Kazakhstan nuclear meltdown? How does one lose 9-0 to a evenly matched team.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

We will all see this afternoon just what the Kazakhs have brought.

I honestly cannot believe I am saying this but I would actually prefer to go back to the 8 team round robin with one team relegated. When the medal games were first instituted I was a big fan. I actually LIKED the fact four teams made the quarters and we had four QF games. I don't like byes and I have never liked demoting and promoting two teams. There has to be a balance here somewhere and I am still looking for it.

The down side to the round robin was the fact your last day of the tourney could be meaningless but it made for many great days of hockey. The byes have killed the tourney for me as a team in a QF game( with bye in place) cannot win this thing( It has happened once I think?)

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com

Germany has a much more established program.

As the situation may be every time out, the key players that helped Kazakhstan get to the big dance, aren't there anymore. Unfortunately that's the life of a border line program.

Dfire

Oct 17, 2008
We will all see this afternoon just what the Kazakhs have brought.

I honestly cannot believe I am saying this but I would actually prefer to go back to the 8 team round robin with one team relegated.

So because Germany beat Kazakhstan (who btw beat Finland) 9:0 they should not be allowed to play against the top 8? I don't get that logic.

Going back to 8 teams would be a major blow for the programs in countries like Germany, Switzerland, Belarus or Denmark. If you want other countries to catch up with the the top 8 and thus make the hockey world more interesting you have to expand this tournament to 12 teams.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
So because Germany beat Kazakhstan (who btw beat Finland) 9:0 they should not be allowed to play against the top 8? I don't get that logic.

Going back to 8 teams would be a major blow for the programs in countries like Germany, Switzerland, Belarus or Denmark. If you want other countries to catch up with the the top 8 and thus make the hockey world more interesting you have to expand this tournament to 12 teams.

This has nothing to do with Germany other than the fact I do not like to see them yo yo from the top flight to Div 1 when we are then treated to the Norway, Kazakhstan and Denmark etc.

I would be happier with 10 if we did not have byes and did not relegate two teams. I get sour every time I see Germany relegated and have to put up with a team that won due to their 19 year olds and have next to nothing left for the big show.

I was reminiscing and thinking about how competitive the 8 team round robin was. If Germany is one of the eight then great. The Slovaks, Finns and Czechs are not all that far ahead these days - Germany could potentially stay up.

Dfire

Oct 17, 2008
This has nothing to do with Germany other than the fact I do not like to see them yo yo from the top flight to Div 1 when we are then treated to the Norway, Kazakhstan and Denmark etc.

I would be happier with 10 if we did not have byes and did not relegate two teams. I get sour every time I see Germany relegated and have to put up with a team that won due to their 19 year olds and have next to nothing left for the big show.

I was reminiscing and thinking about how competitive the 8 team round robin was. If Germany is one of the eight then great. The Slovaks, Finns and Czechs are not all that far ahead these days - Germany could potentially stay up.

I disagree. The Slovaks, Finns, Czech and Swiss are just a little bit better than Germany (and Belarus) but the way the sport grows in those countries at the moment it looks like they are about to be reaching that level. But only if they can play top tier junior hockey. Germany gets nothing out of playing against Slovenia and Hungary again.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I disagree. The Slovaks, Finns, Czech and Swiss are just a little bit better than Germany (and Belarus) but the way the sport grows in those countries at the moment it looks like they are about to be reaching that level. But only if they can play top tier junior hockey. Germany gets nothing out of playing against Slovenia and Hungary again.

Lets say we revamp and go to groups of 8 in Div 1 and Div 2. Lets say Slovakia and Switzerland are the bottom of the top flight. We get Germany, Belarus, Denmark, Latvia, Austria, Norway, Kazakhstan and France. That is a very good competitive group.

Germany would get plenty out of being in this group and would also appear in the top flight from time to time.

Dfire

Oct 17, 2008
Lets say we revamp and go to groups of 8 in Div 1 and Div 2. Lets say Slovakia and Switzerland are the bottom of the top flight. We get Germany, Belarus, Denmark, Latvia, Austria, Norway, Kazakhstan and France. That is a very good competitive group.

Germany would get plenty out of being in this group and would also appear in the top flight from time to time.

If you want the top hockey nations to be a closed society with only a few members than do just that.
First you argued that Germany is on one level with Switzerland, Finland and the Czech Republic but at the same time you're saying "let's change the rules so that Germany won't be allowed to play against those teams that are on their level".

The german hockey project is growing slowly but it's still a very fragile building and shutting them out of the top level competition would make it collapse.

It's gotta be the goal of all hockey nations to close that gap not increasing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad