GDT: 12/20/18 - 9:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Calgary

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I go to bed last night in the second, it looked like we were doomed. I can't wait to get home from work and watch this come back. This team is unholy good. Wow.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Are they going to let Palat keep that goal? I'm pretty sure he didn't touch it.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

10-2 with me in attendance

During warmups

32530032228_e3e8dc7775_c.jpg

Which one of the kids is you? ;)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I didn't get to see the game but it looks like we were fighting Domingue almost as much as Calgary last night. You gotta save goals 1 and 4. But given how we played OT he saved our ass.

Onto Edmonton. Let's win this thing

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I didn't get to see the game but it looks like we were fighting Domingue almost as much as Calgary last night. You gotta save goals 1 and 4. But given how we played OT he saved our ass.

Onto Edmonton. Let's win this thing
That's him though. Allow a couple of softies and then make some geat saves. But yeah, if he doesn't allow that Gaudreau goal he probably doesn't have to make the saves in OT.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That's him though. Allow a couple of softies and then make some geat saves. But yeah, if he doesn't allow that Gaudreau goal he probably doesn't have to make the saves in OT.

Also doesn't go to OT if Hedman didn't give Gaudreau an early Christmas present with that assist.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I’ve seen and heard from Flames fans that the game proves they could hang with Tampa in a 7 game series. And while I don’t completely disagree (the game was tightly contested), the simple fact is with Vasi in net goals 1 & 4 porobably never happen.

Reactions: DaBolts

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I’ve seen and heard from Flames fans that the game proves they could hang with Tampa in a 7 game series. And while I don’t completely disagree (the game was tightly contested), the simple fact is with Vasi in net goals 1 & 4 porobably never happen.
They played well and there were times when they definitely put it on us.

Our depth is superior and our starting goaltending would be the difference.

Dont think they can win a 7 game series against us at full speed.

Reactions: JDBolt

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Yeah, I think this game is much different if Vasilevskiy was in net. No disrespect to the flames though, they have a good team right now. It was fun getting chirped by Flames fans in the first then seeing their faces after Miller called game :popcorn:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I feel like we have much stronger D than them too, although you really couldn't tell from last night. McD and Strals had strong games but everyone else struggled.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

This is where we're at. We are a measuring stick for every team in the league, and we have teams playing up to the challenge on a nightly basis. We can't always bring our A-game, it's just not sustainable. We're still finding ways to win though, which will be valuable experience once the playoffs come along.

We're going to hear a lot of fanbases come out with the "we proved we can hang with them" narrative this year. I see it as more of a compliment than a lack of credit.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
This is where we're at. We are a measuring stick for every team in the league, and we have teams playing up to the challenge on a nightly basis. We can't always bring our A-game, it's just not sustainable. We're still finding ways to win though, which will be valuable experience once the playoffs come along.

We're going to hear a lot of fanbases come out with the "we proved we can hang with them" narrative this year. I see it as more of a compliment than a lack of credit.

I was just saying this to another Bolt fan at work. We are getting everyone's best game right now. You'd think it would be the Caps but we are getting all the attention.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
After watching what I missed, I hope Serge pairs back up with Coburn, they seem to be in sync more so than Girardi was. Now I can not WAIT to see that Edmonton game, that's going to be a wild one too! GO BOLTS!:bolts:bolts:bolts:bolts

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Maybe not. But it was a weird game. Three of the goals you guys scored were deflections off our guys. 1st off Giordano's foot, 2nd off Brodie's stick, 4th off Hathaway's stick at the point. Not sure those are bounces you could expect across multiple games in a series. And maybe if this weren't Rittich's fourth start in six nights he's a tiny bit sharper, though I don't blame him for any goal against.

Also, Domingue's stickhandling really pushed the offensive tempo for you guys, from what I've seen Vasilevskiy is a bit more conzervative in that regard.

And goals one and four for CGY were breakaways, maybe they don't shoot fivehole on Vasilevskiy because a different area is more available.

Who really knows? We've all seen seven game series where every game is different from the previous one.

We (CGY) were also short some depth... no Frolik (who's probably our 7th best forward and the best on the Frolik-Ryan-Neal line that was dominating in November), no Czarnik (who we scratched for Lomberg because he had his worst game two nights prior), no Valimaki (who's been having a great season).

There's also that whole "James Neal can't be THIS bad... can he?" question mark with our team. Guys don't just go from perennial 25 goal scorers to guys who don't even get a modicum of flex on their shot.

Your team is definitely the class of the league right now, and when you match up to top ~12 teams they will be measuring stick games in a league of parity. And the home / road factor definitely comes into play, no doubt. But you're no more invincible than you were last year, IMO.

As a Flames fan, my biggest takeaway was that our PK is good enough to contain your PP as long as Hamonic is healthy. I'm not complaining about officiating, although there was one egregious high stick by Hedman that was missed. I think our team didn't give you our best possible game, nor do I claim your team gave us your best possible game.

TL;DR version:
Hockey's far too complex and random to say the bolded in the quote. Can we just agree it was a fun game and leave it at that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phobia Catalyst

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
The overhead shows he didn't touch it at all. But it seems nobody checked that angle.
Watch the angle from behind the net, it's definitely Palat. Overhead plays a bit of a trick on the eyes in this instance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad