GDT: 12/2/17 - 7:00PM EDT - San Jose vs Tampa Bay

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Conacher is better than Brown and Paquette combined. Brown should be in the press box before Conacher gets sent down again.

At least I was right about that snippet.

I've wanted that too, no need to look externally when we have a stopgap here, he's been playing around 30-40 point pace since last year. As long as he's on the 3rd line with any of our centers he'll be fine.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And if I can take a moment... Callahan was freaking awesome last night. He didn't score but we didn't end up needing it. Callahan not only looked dangerous but he WAS dangerous and played like a $5.8 million player.

I sorely wish he could play like that every night

Reactions: Bodi Finds the Fire

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
And if I can take a moment... Callahan was freaking awesome last night. He didn't score but we didn't end up needing it. Callahan not only looked dangerous but he WAS dangerous and played like a $5.8 million player.

I sorely wish he could play like that every night

He’s played well all season. If he had any kind of luck or finish right now, Nick of Time would be buying some jerseys this season.

I liked the lines last night. Splitting up Stamkuch sucked but putting Kucherov with Point and Palat works well too. I also liked Johnson with Stamkos. Johnson was playing with an extra gear last night too. Good effort all around last night.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Cally has been playing well. You kind of have to think his goal drought is purely mental. Maybe the hip thing impacts torque in some way, but he's always netted a fair number of redirects and cleaned up rebounds and pucks in close, so you'd think he could at least net a few more than he has recently. We'll see. He's still sound defensively, and dependable in most any situation, so I'm happy with how he's playing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Someone actually thought Callahan was scoring 49 points this year? He might score 49 points through the remainder of his contract if lucky.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Sure the guy's better than his current 18 points pace but you can't expect him to become that scoring threat again. Callahan scored 49 points (17 goals) over his last 157 games with Tampa. It has been a steady drop in production and it's unlikely to come back with his playing style. A 25 points depth player, that's what he is now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I praise Callahan because unlike most nights (sorry Nick) it's like he was actually trying to score a goal out there. From a purely offensive standpoint Callahan is right up there with Brown as in-arguably the most useless forward we have. So often he skates around, passes it off and when he does shoot he lets go of 2 weak shots into the chest. Seldom have I seen a player accomplish so little with so much ice time.

Last night I think he must've had 5 or 6 shots SOG and the vast majority of them were good to very good chances he simply didn't capitalize on. There's major difference between that and the perimeter shot nonsense he regularly pulls off. For the first time in over a year I can say that if I had watched Ryan Callahan for the first time ever last night I would've guessed he was one of the best players on the team and he just happened to be snakebit and estimated him as a 20 goal scorer at minimum.

I know the guy doesn't get a fair shake on the power play but it's no excuse. Last night proved that he is in fact capable and he needs to keep it turned up a notch.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Callahan has been playing very well, but he just has no offence left in him. He can't lift the puck anymore. He is hustling, playing great defence, working hard. Still overpaid, but I'm happy with what he provides.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Are you guys trying to pull me into the conversation? Lol.

Truth is that you know personally that I'm one of his biggest supporters and when I say to a degree that he's useless on most nights I'm not so sure that I didn't spit out fighting words. I don't need you thinking I've turned too. I need you to know that I HAVE turned on him. I'm disappointed beyond words he could have a night like that and we had to wait til December to get it

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan has been playing very well, but he just has no offence left in him. He can't lift the puck anymore. He is hustling, playing great defence, working hard. Still overpaid, but I'm happy with what he provides.

Meh think he should have at least more points than Kunitz based on his play like around 10 or so. They just are not getting the lucky bounces. He has a reduced role about 12 to 13 mins a game, no PP time and no center who is able to bring decent offense. So it's not easy. I also think there has something to do with his mechanics after the surgeries, and maybe needs to work on something. I still see a guy able to play out there and compete hard and really Been happy with his play.

He has been asked to play this role by Cooper , he does not need to score when guys like Kucherov are scoring most night and a lot of nights when the top 6 has gone cold his line has provided. In the Anaheim games and Hawks game for a few examples.

@AlwaysSunnyInTampa he had more games like last game and the Hawks game this season. Easily could have had 3 points both those games. Effort is there just not working out for him. I still do think there are some mechanics to this. Needs to lift the puck better but some of his chances were very good.

I know some people will mock the should have, could have, would have, but that's hockey a game of inches.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@AlwaysSunnyInTampa also ran some
Numbers his 5 v 5 shots numbers and possession numbers are in the plus around what Gourde and Namestnikov have.

It means when he is on the ice he is spending more time in the opponents zone and creating chances. Imagine if he had a skilled guy on his line ? Would be a different story. IMO

I also think some people have been unfair to his situation by saying well player A needs so and so to produce but Callahan should be able to produce on his own while having Paquette or Brown as his center and not getting PP. I mean come on now.

Sorry dude you woke the Thunder Buddy beast. Lol

It's like he who shall not be named should not be named. :laugh:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Callahan is now JT Brown. He just cannot score. Either logo seeker or right on the ice. It's not "bad luck" - you don't score goals along the ice in the NHL much anymore. If he wants to score, he has to lift the puck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The funny thing is, most of us are ok with what Callahan brings to the team, we're not mad at him, just stating the obvious : He's overpaid and he can't score anymore.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The funny thing is, most of us are ok with what Callahan brings to the team, we're not mad at him, just stating the obvious : He's overpaid and he can't score anymore.
That's my exact feel. Obvious I would love to get rid of that contract, but other than that I have no issues with him as a fourth liner (although it's worth noting that even for a fourth liner his production sucks).

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think his play has been very good. Wish he had more points but he is not in a scoring role anymore so I've accepted that. He is good for this team. On and off the ice.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Might be good for one more cup run but he'll be broken if we go deep in the playoffs, starting next year his 5.8m in capspace will be more useful than anything he brings. We could bring in a better Callahan at half the price.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If the cap really does go up big next year, the main benefit will be contracts like Callahan's and Killorn's won't look (quite) so bad moving forward. Killorn's might actually be pretty much in line with what middle six wingers get from here on out. Term still sucks. But I think we can count getting 2 of our 3 superstars locked up before the cap goes up as a lucky break. If the 80+m cap really does happen, guys like Hedman and Stamkos are gonna look like the biggest steals in the league with what star players are about to get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad