Recalled/Assigned: 12-16: Sabres Recall D Brendan Guhle from Rochester; Reassigned on 12-22

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
“Maintenance day”

At least Housley has plausible deniability on the Berglund “illness”. He never knows what the hell is going on.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Good for him. We're this to happen a month ago I wouldn't be so sure that he's ready. However, he's been excellent in Rochester the past few weeks. Hopefully it carries over up here.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hopefully Tennyson is done for the year.

But his play is a nice reminder for those still confused as to why the team improved dramatically.

We used to play two guys of his ability level, every, single, game. With a horrible goalie duo.

Reactions: SabresSharks

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Well it's a good thing we have a large quantity of defensemen in Buffalo and Rochester. These injuries seem to happen to our d every year.

To think last season Guhle would've been our greatest hope as a defenseman call up.

It's a luxury that he's now like tenth on the depth chart.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Guhle gets in his first game of this season with the Sabres

Guhle%206.jpg

Boston, MA (WGR 550) - Two players got to play their first NHL games of the season on Sunday in Boston. Matt Hunwick made his Sabres debut while Brendan was also called up. The Sabres have 11 defenseman up here due to injury and Guhle said he found out during Saturday’s game in Rochester that he was flying to Boston. Guhle said he was told he was coming up in the second intermission and sat on the bench as watched the third period.

In his first game in Buffalo Guhle was paired with Hunwick and did give the puck away a few times, but he also got up ice a few times and used his speed like Housley wants him to. People seem to forget that he's only 21-years-old and is not a bust or even close to one. He has plenty of time to reach his potential.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Yep, he made a few mistakes today, but I still like him far more long term than I do Pilut. Guhle played ok in the corners and cleared the front of the net for the most part. Tying someone up when he could.

In other words, everything Pilut can't do.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep, he made a few mistakes today, but I still like him far more long term than I do Pilut. Guhle played ok in the corners and cleared the front of the net for the most part. Tying someone up when he could.

Really? Pilut's defensive stickwork, position, and detail work school Guhle's.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Man, what happened to him. I had great hope for him a year ago. Looked like a possible Nick Leddy. He still has the speed, but can't pass at all.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012

Now that's a scorching hot take. Pilut is clearly the better player now and long term. He's better in every aspect of the game except size and straight line speed.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Looks like he hasn't developed since the combine and might have regressed since the Phaneuf hit.

Better than Pilut? That's hilariously wrong.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
NHL game is too fast for him to process currently. He's not able to show anything offensively because he's just struggling to survive a shift. It's like watching Grigorenko make the jump from junior to the NHL. If you aren't an elite prospect it's hard to show any glimpses of talent when you're main focus is making it off the ice an even player.

He's an above average to good prospect but nowhere near a great prospect and those guys usually don't become regular NHLers until they're 23/24 when they're defensemen. I've never been a huge fan of his and all I can say is thank f*** we won the lottery.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think you can observe that he doesn’t look good without damning the entirety of his career moving forward. I have.

And my concern at this moment has very little to do with the offensive side of things, and everything to do with how he looks like a black hole in his own corners and hesitates too much before eventually making a poor decision. I also don’t like that he looks significantly filled out but still is so easily overmatched physically.

It seems, however, that with Dahlin and Pilut joining the fold, we can probably afford to give him more time in Rochester.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Pilut got beat so many times in the defensive zone in the games he played it's pathetic. I saw some crazy stat on him where it listed him at 5' 11" and 180 pounds somewhere. More like 5' 6" and a buck and a half. That kid is going to get busted in half trying to play defense in todays NHL.

But this thread is about Guhle, he has played admirally in the games he has played. He has made a few mistakes obviously, but over all he looks like he belongs here. He joined the rush when appropriate, yet still fullfilled his defensive responsibilities. He has made his case for sticking with the big club until at least all these injuries are behind us, even then I think he is better than Nelson.

Trading him would be crazy.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Pilut got beat so many times in the defensive zone in the games he played it's pathetic. I saw some crazy stat on him where it listed him at 5' 11" and 180 pounds somewhere. More like 5' 6" and a buck and a half. That kid is going to get busted in half trying to play defense in todays NHL.

But this thread is about Guhle, he has played admirally in the games he has played. He has made a few mistakes obviously, but over all he looks like he belongs here. He joined the rush when appropriate, yet still fullfilled his defensive responsibilities. He has made his case for sticking with the big club until at least all these injuries are behind us, even then I think he is better than Nelson.

What in the world are you talking about? Sure you don't have him confused with Tennyson? You watching the same games as the rest of us?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Well hopefully a mod will delete your rant about Pilut since yes, it’s a thread about Guhle. But if they don’t ... I saw the opposite of what you saw. Pulit looked mostly good. Sometimes very good. Did he make some mistakes? Well no sheet he made mistakes. So does every freakin player. Every game in fact.
And no, he’s not 5’ 6”. Skinner is 5’11”. Pulit is the same. Go back and watch a game with both of them on the ice at the same time. :thumbu:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

I see Guhle more of 5 or 6th d man while Pilut is a future top4

Reactions: Fearnot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->