12/13 season

ficohok*

With Giroux and Briere, if lockout goes on, Eisbaren is main (again!?) title challenger.
Tommorrow on Laola live streaming Nurnberg - Eisbaren

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Eisbaren falls to Kolner 6-5

Traded goals for awhile and then Kolner jumped ahead 6-4. Eisbaren made it 6-5 and had all of the momentum. Penalties on Kolner had them go on the 5 on 3 PK late and a phantom slash against Giroux made it 5-4. Eisbaren couldn't get it done

Giroux finished his debut with 1 goal and 2 assists
Briere finished his debut with 3 assists

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
what an awesome game that was!

question to Germans:
I train in a bavarian hall and after the last training I found a flyer for this years Deutschland-Cup...seems pretty interesting but do you think or even know if some NHL players will take part there?

I already informed abit and the Germans want to play but how about the Canadians, Slowaks and the Switzerland guys?

thank you!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
DEL is my favourite league and I've been watching tons of highlights and streams when possible, but why is Hannover's attendance so low? I know they're not doing great, but they're far from the worst team so why is it so bad?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
DEL is my favourite league and I've been watching tons of highlights and streams when possible, but why is Hannover's attendance so low? I know they're not doing great, but they're far from the worst team so why is it so bad?

I think a big part of the reason, is that the Hannover Scorpions were more or less just planted in the city as an DEL franchise. I think a lot of fans in Hannover rather go to see the Hannover Indians play. That team, while playing in 2.Bundesliga, has about the same attendance figures as the Scorpions. And since hockey isn't as big in Germany, and particular in the northern part, Hannover cannot really fill the arenas for two teams.

I am not from that area though, so I could be wrong.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
what can you say about Calle Ridderwall? Putting up some nice numbers, if im correct his team is one the worst in the league aswell.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
what can you say about Calle Ridderwall? Putting up some nice numbers, if im correct his team is one the worst in the league aswell.

Yeah, that Düsseldorf team is basically a lower-tier hockey team forced to play in the DEL this season. They came incredibly close to bankruptcy and had an incredibly limited budget to work with, and filled out their roster with youngsters, from lower German leagues and juniors. Ridderwall has certainly made the most out of that situation, got plenty of minutes and is their best scorer. He does not have a contract, yet, and with Düsseldorf still struggling to get together the minimum amount needed to secure another year of play in the DEL, they'll probably not be able to afford keeping him as his numbers haven't gone unnoticed.

Unfortunately, I can't really comment on his play too much, myself, as I just saw Düsseldorf a two games, IIRC. I expect him to end up on one of the financially bigger teams next season, but I think it's too early to tell whether he can be that kind of contributor on a team with even close to average depth. Rumors already have connected him to Cologne (my team, and home to three other Swedes in Holmqvist, Tjärnqvist and Falk) and Hamburg, from all I remember.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Season done, close final, Berlin pulling it off yet again. Don't want to lose too many words on everything, just thought this picture from game 3 was a pretty good advertisement for German hockey over here...

521859_10151776232987454_1151240037_n.jpg

18,600 fans in Cologne. It was intense.

PietB

Random User
Apr 29, 2011
Denmany and Germark
Congratulations to Köln for playing a fantastic season. They definitely won a nice chunk of my sympathy in the past few months. :)

Congratulations to Berlin as well, even though I have a very hard time saying so..

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Season done, close final, Berlin pulling it off yet again. Don't want to lose too many words on everything, just thought this picture from game 3 was a pretty good advertisement for German hockey over here...

521859_10151776232987454_1151240037_n.jpg

18,600 fans in Cologne. It was intense.

Just WOW, did they play in the soccer arena or which arena is able to handle over 18k of people in Cologne?

Sealink

Jul 23, 2006
Nürnberg
Just WOW, did they play in the soccer arena or which arena is able to handle over 18k of people in Cologne?
They play at LanxessArena (f.k.a. KölnArena). The arena has a capacity of about 18600 for hockey games and is the largest multi-functional arena in Germany.

The Captain presents the Cup
PO13-F3135_zps57167a54.jpg

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Congratulations to Köln for playing a fantastic season. They definitely won a nice chunk of my sympathy in the past few months. :)
They seemed to win quite some sympathy among German hockey fans with their play this year. And it was really fun to follow. They had a great mix of players, played physical, but with a lot of skill, could beat you in many ways. They could out-hit even teams that traditionally get into their game that way like Straubing, and they could still out-skill speedy/slick teams like Wolfsburg (the impressive 2013-calendar-year version of them, at least, not the 2012-version). It wasn't quite enough against Berlin's experience in the close finals.

Well, the potentially biggest thing for them is that they'll be back with virtually the same group next fall. Only Marco Sturm might be off again, looking for a job back overseas, but other than that, the core remains the same to a degree that is a seldom occurence in the league. It should help, and hopefully Krupp will be able to steer away from the bridesmaid's curse and help solidify the club among the top of the table.

It's the Lanxess arena in Cologne.
I'd say it's one of the best arenas in Europe.

Yup, that's it. When it's (somewhat) packed, it's beautiful. Averaging 12,642 over the season (which was thankfully quite a rise from last year), it's a bit of a shame it just is a fair bit too big for the average hockey game in Germany. Playing Ingolstadt on a Tuesday in November in front of 9,000 isn't much fun, but that's the way things are in Germany. Got to take the good with the bad, and that picture above at least illustrates that the good is pretty damn good at its time. :) With the club's upward trend I have some hope that we'll be looking at increased averages next year again.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yup, that's it. When it's (somewhat) packed, it's beautiful. Averaging 12,642 over the season (which was thankfully quite a rise from last year), it's a bit of a shame it just is a fair bit too big for the average hockey game in Germany. Playing Ingolstadt on a Tuesday in November in front of 9,000 isn't much fun, but that's the way things are in Germany. Got to take the good with the bad, and that picture above at least illustrates that the good is pretty damn good at its time. :) With the club's upward trend I have some hope that we'll be looking at increased averages next year again.

As a fan of Hertha BSC I know the feeling. 30,000 in a stadium like the one in Mainz is great. 30,000 in the Olympiastadion, not so much.

If they can keep it going they should be able to bring the average attendance to about 15,000 which would be awesome.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
As a fan of Hertha BSC I know the feeling. 30,000 in a stadium like the one in Mainz is great. 30,000 in the Olympiastadion, not so much.

If they can keep it going they should be able to bring the average attendance to about 15,000 which would be awesome.

Yeah, solid comparision to the Oly, same exact issue. Well, 15,000 is quite a bit beyond my wildest dreams, quite honestly. Getting to ~13,200 for next year would be great, and if there's another good season maybe another smaller rise the one after that, but I don't think much more is attainable. Might lose some to the Effzeh should they end up winning promotion, as well, but that's a bit of a long shot for this year, at least (more because I have a hard time seeing them win the relegation matchup than the two points they are out of 3rd).

Either way, the Haie after these devastating years are in a beautiful situation, even with the pain of the freshly lost final. Having gotten from selling t-shirts to avoid bankruptcy to almost winning the league in just a few years was a rollercoaster and makes most appreciate the season through the sting of losing the last game.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yeah, solid comparision to the Oly, same exact issue. Well, 15,000 is quite a bit beyond my wildest dreams, quite honestly. Getting to ~13,200 for next year would be great, and if there's another good season maybe another smaller rise the one after that, but I don't think much more is attainable. Might lose some to the Effzeh should they end up winning promotion, as well, but that's a bit of a long shot for this year, at least (more because I have a hard time seeing them win the relegation matchup than the two points they are out of 3rd).

Either way, the Haie after these devastating years are in a beautiful situation, even with the pain of the freshly lost final. Having gotten from selling t-shirts to avoid bankruptcy to almost winning the league in just a few years was a rollercoaster and makes most appreciate the season through the sting of losing the last game.

True. To get close to 15,000 they would have to play at the same level as they did this season for another 4-5 years, and probably win a championship or two.

And should Düsseldorf go bankrupt and lose their team in the DEL it would become even more difficult I guess, since those games are usually well attended even when one or both of them suck.

Eventhough Berlin is my favourite team, I really hope the Haie will keep performing like this. The fans are amazing, most of them at least, and I like the approach they take with Krupp. I could see Köln, Mannheim and Berlin and maybe Hamburg sort of dominating the league in the next few years.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Welcome back to the DEL Wild Wings.

Can't really say that i'll miss the Scorpions, sorry to Hannover, but ever liked their game..

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Welcome back to the DEL Wild Wings.

Can't really say that i'll miss the Scorpions, sorry to Hannover, but ever liked their game..

I don't think many people will miss them, judging by their attendance figures. :naughty:
They had an average attendance of 3,114 in the regular season. Only Wolfsburg was worse.

Schwenningen had 2,934 in the 2.Bundesliga (regular season) and more than 5,000 in the playoffs. And this isn't a big city like Hannover.

I am definitely glad to see a team like Schwenningen back at the top level. I hope they do well.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I don't think many people will miss them, judging by their attendance figures. :naughty:
They had an average attendance of 3,114 in the regular season. Only Wolfsburg was worse.

Schwenningen had 2,934 in the 2.Bundesliga (regular season) and more than 5,000 in the playoffs. And this isn't a big city like Hannover.

I am definitely glad to see a team like Schwenningen back at the top level. I hope they do well.

The truth is that the Scorpions have never been Hannover`s team. Originally they were located in the suburbs (Wedemark). Hannover hockey is ECH (the boys from "Pferdeturm"). Too bad they suspended operations due to financial problems (again), so Hannover has no hockey club as of now.
But I'm sure there will be a new club in the forseeable future.

KEC

Feb 8, 2014
Nice New Record

This Season the DEL Has Set a New Attendance Record in her 20 Year History 6'300 per Game and 3 Teams having more than 10'000 per Game.
This is awesome coz Berlin and Hamburg didn't gave away so much Free Tickets and there was no Winter Game helt this Season (52'000 spectators missing)
I think you all know there are still many Things that are not good in this League, but sometimes we should take a Look at improvements or stuff that's going the right Direction.
From a German Point of View it's good to See some solid German Goaltending, the best Goalscorer is a German Born and trained Player. I've Seen some Young German Players improving: Uvira, Ohmann, Ziegler, Zerressen, Mebus, Preibisch, Pielmeier, Pfleger, Pföderl, Weber, Ehliz, Kretschmann, Merl, ...
Yeah still much, much Space for Improvements left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->