Post-Game Talk: #12 - 11/4/19 | senators @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SHould I bump the whole
‘Kravtsov was our highest ranked forward in the draft’

Anyone who thinks the rangers had kravtsov over tkachuk is kidding themselves.

He turned that game single handedly
No one thinks that the Rangers would not have taken Tkachuk had he fell to them. But he did not.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Before this game I didn't hold Fox in high regard, yet he was all over the ice and incredibly dangerous. Almost pulled the Rangers back into the game on his own. I was impressed.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lemieux has done nothing to deserve his spot on the second power play unit. His play in general has been somewhat uninspiring save his agitator antics.

Quinn should strongly consider giving Andersson or Howden time there instead.

Reactions: leetch99

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Before this game I didn't hold Fox in high regard, yet he was all over the ice and incredibly dangerous. Almost pulled the Rangers back into the game on his own. I was impressed.

This is interesting because you are referencing probably his weakest game so far.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The problem I had with the officiating last night wasn't the "inconsistency" or a few "missed calls". It was a situation where Ottawa was continually allowed liberties and worse while the game was called tightly against the Rangers.

I honestly thought Tkachuk tried to take out someone's knee along the boards in the third. It was an obvious attempt at a clip and nothing was called. There were countless other situations where Ranger players were being boarded and illegally hit.

Allowing a team to get "under another team's skin" used to result in line brawls. Today, any push back results in power plays for the aggressors. The officials let Ottawa back into the game and then controlled it. That's far WORSE than a few "missed calls".

Reactions: egelband

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Hard to say the refs were the difference in a 6-2 game, but they were as much to blame for the momentum shift as anything else.

Nilsson was stupid good and Georgiev not so much.
Tsacuck played em like a fiddle. Nothing like a net front scrum to get a flat team going.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
No. He made one silly dispy-doodle at the end of the game where he lost the puck and gave the Senators a prime scoring chance, but other than that, he was very good in his own end. I don't know where people find time-on-ice per period, but I'm certain Quinn played him more in the 3rd... seemed like he was out there every second shift for a while. In the end, he had the most time-on-ice of any defenseman, and offensively, he was making beautiful plays all night... the kind of plays nobody else on this d-corps can make. I assumed it would take him 40 games to earn his spot on the top power play, but now I doubt he'll be waiting that long. Kid's a star in the making.
Yea that’s exactly what I’m saying. Other than that one play, he seemed to play great.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
No one thinks that the Rangers would not have taken Tkachuk had he fell to them. But he did not.
You may not think that but there are certainly posters on here that do. I’m referencing a debate I had with a few posters awhile back on the very topic. Lol, that’s why I said what I said

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yea that’s exactly what I’m saying. Other than that one play, he seemed to play great.

To me it was much more uneven performance but I was excited by it because the highs were higher. He was flashing elite offensive instincts more often last night but that also came with a few mistakes from gambling too much at times. He is gaining confidence and trying to make more advanced plays...at least to my eyes. Much less conservative which comes with more good and more bad...which is exciting because if he irons out the bad he has the potential to be a first pairing dman.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Well when the team starts playing better we can applaud the coach and the job he's doing. For now, he's not doing a good job and the proof is in the results. Again, I don't dislike him as a coach, but I think he has a tremendous amount of learning to do and should have been given the chance to learn as an assistant. Well coached teams are much more consistent than this.

Yes, coaches can make officials make bad calls. It's part of why good coaches pick their battles with officials and don't get on them after every call. Human beings are making that decision on the ice and if you ride the officials too much they won't give you the benefit of the doubt. That's not hard to figure out.
My money says Hartford dude will be behind the big bench when this team is good (2 years).

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
Work ethic needs to be there every game. It's inexcusable at 21 to not be busting it each shift. Not working hard is a sign of soft players. This roster is filled with guys that need to establish themselves as deserving our patience. Look at what happened to Chytil's game now that he is consistently busting it each shift. Why do people just keep coming up with excuses all the time for terrible performance? Stop making excuses and face the facts. This team is filled with passengers who need to be reminded there are no free lunches in the NHL

This team was thrown off by a few events during the game and did not have the mental toughness to push through. That's a terrible sign and it's happening frequently this season.

You're right, I'm sorry I made excuses. These days these kids should be perfect and crawl out of the vagina fully developed mentally and physically and firing on all cylinders.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
didnt see the game. sounds like i didnt miss much.

no idea why they couldn't blow this team out. makes zero sense to me.

now we get marc staal and the over the top crap that comes along with him returning to the lineup.

growing pains i guess.

There's a lot in this thread about "this is what happens with young teams" without getting into specifics... or at best "young teams are inconsistent."

It *was* absolutely the result of them being a young team, but it wasn't game-to-game inconsistency. They came out in the first period looking exactly how they've looked for the last couple. What did happen was that the team couldn't recover from a major shift in momentum. That's their inexperience rearing its ugly head. A veteran team doesn't go into the locker room after the way the first period ended (down 2-1 after dominated the first 11 minutes or so) and come back out for the 2nd just as rattled as they left. Too many players on the team don't know how to overcome those kinds of shifts and reassert themselves. Hopefully, they'll take something away from that and be able to apply it, though I'm sure not always successfully, to games in the future.

So yes, growing pains. Games like this are invaluable to the long-term development of a team. So while it sucked to watch, it's not exactly a bad thing either.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
There were people here who thought Brady Tkachuk was way overrated his draft year. They would have dropped him into the mid or later teens. He's a really really good player and he's an *******--no doubt about it. He gets under skins and if you let him he'll take over the game. That's at least the second time in his short career he's done it against us. He's like a bigger and a lot more skilled version of Sean Avery and he can drive a team to distraction and then have the temerity to put up 2.3. 4 points.
Huge neck too

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This game sucked butt but these are the games you can expect from such a young team.

Kakko looking great is more than enough for me. Burn the tape and move on.

Exactly. 7 guys on the ice the last 3 games who are 21 years old or younger.....and they need coaches who push them but can also be patient with them.

If referees are targeting the Rangers just because they don't like Quinn--they're not doing their job. They're supposed to be impartial.

Reactions: leetch99

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Exactly. 7 guys on the ice the last 3 games who are 21 years old or younger.....and they need coaches who push them but can also be patient with them.

If referees are targeting the Rangers just because they don't like Quinn--they're not doing their job. They're supposed to be impartial.
Guys have to know when to take a number for later.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Guys have to know when to take a number for later.

thats part of the learning curve for young players...you love that lemieux and deangelo are willing to go when needed but obviously you need to learn to pick your spots and when its the right time to go...its something trouba has had to learn over the years. and I think back to the days of jeff beukeboom. he could have fought anyone at any time but taking himself out of 5 minutes didn't necessarily help the team.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
thats part of the learning curve for young players...you love that lemieux and deangelo are willing to go when needed but obviously you need to learn to pick your spots and when its the right time to go...its something trouba has had to learn over the years. and I think back to the days of jeff beukeboom. he could have fought anyone at any time but taking himself out of 5 minutes didn't necessarily help the team.
Exactly. They should hang this over the bench:

giphy.gif

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The problem I had with the officiating last night wasn't the "inconsistency" or a few "missed calls". It was a situation where Ottawa was continually allowed liberties and worse while the game was called tightly against the Rangers.

I honestly thought Tkachuk tried to take out someone's knee along the boards in the third. It was an obvious attempt at a clip and nothing was called. There were countless other situations where Ranger players were being boarded and illegally hit.

Allowing a team to get "under another team's skin" used to result in line brawls. Today, any push back results in power plays for the aggressors. The officials let Ottawa back into the game and then controlled it. That's far WORSE than a few "missed calls".

Bobby Ryan slew footing Smith at the start of the Ottawa 5 on 3 was egregious (I think it was during the start of that PK? Or maybe it was the first one that Ottawa scored on). Refs call that correctly and maybe the game doesn't get out of hand

That said, Rangers definitely played too lose and thought they had it in the bag early and couldn't recover from their mistakes. Not a good game even if we want to blame the refs

UNfortuantely the kind of crappy game you gotta deal with when you have a team like this one

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Bobby Ryan slew footing Smith at the start of the Ottawa 5 on 3 was egregious (I think it was during the start of that PK? Or maybe it was the first one that Ottawa scored on). Refs call that correctly and maybe the game doesn't get out of hand

That said, Rangers definitely played too lose and thought they had it in the bag early and couldn't recover from their mistakes. Not a good game even if we want to blame the refs

UNfortuantely the kind of crappy game you gotta deal with when you have a team like this one

Completely agree.

The officiating changed the flow of the game, and the Rangers never pushed back. Once Ottawa took the lead, the Rangers just fell apart.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
There were people here who thought Brady Tkachuk was way overrated his draft year. They would have dropped him into the mid or later teens. He's a really really good player and he's an *******--no doubt about it. He gets under skins and if you let him he'll take over the game. That's at least the second time in his short career he's done it against us. He's like a bigger and a lot more skilled version of Sean Avery and he can drive a team to distraction and then have the temerity to put up 2.3. 4 points.
Those people only looked at stats. They never actually watched him play. It was obvious he was going to be a stud in the NHL. Still wish we had moved up to get him.

Reactions: eco's bones

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
5-2 down going into the 3rd, against the Senators, is a winneable situation. It's also the kind of situation where you cut the bench, specifically your 4th line of Micheal Haley and Brendan Smith. We did not.
Is Quinn just dumb or are they not particularly concerned about winning games? Legit Question
My legit answer. Quinn and co. would NEVER admit that. They say......you LEARN MORE from losing, than winning. With the way they played from the 15 minute mark through "your 3rd period scenario, in which you are correct".......just kind of makes me wonder. Shortening the bench, probably gives you a better shot at catching Ottawa......but maybe, just maybe the 4th line was actually playing well and didnt DESERVE getting benched? Legit question. I havent checked the stats, nor did I NOTICE that our 4th line gave up any goals. So, leqves me wondering.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We should have a 3 "stars" and ONE (1) GOAT. And I dont mean greatest of all time. Yes, who we thought had a really bad game. My vote would have been Buchnevich. Apparently he still hasnt learned NOT TO shoot it into someones feet. Ala Brady. You "have to", absolutely "have to" have better awareness not to do that. That shot had NO CHANCE of ever getting through and he should have dumped it into the corner like Micheletti suggested (very kindly I might add), I wouldnt have been so kind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad