Post-Game Talk: #12 - 11/4/19 | senators @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I really thought that would have stopped this year. I know the refs like to do their alpha thing to new coaches, especially ones with big contracts. But now it’s year two and they’re still sticking it to Quinn and Co. I don’t get it.

I do. I’ve officiated hockey for 22 years( never at the pro level though ). Quinn gives the refs the death stare after every call- a very college level coach thing to do— and the refs won’t show him any respect since he shows them none. Coaches won’t get the benefit of anything if they argue every call— even worse is when you argue the obvious calls. You think Quinn would realize that when the same group of officials call everygame, maybe it’s better to just let the little stuff go so you don’t get the reputation of being a whiner and complainer.

It’s all about respect and if an official feals disrespected he’s not going to give the coach or a team a break.

Leetch94

Oct 3, 2019
I mean if Kreider isn't going to show up in the scoring box then he could have at least showed some interest in getting after Tkachuk, perfect guy to do it and it would have been a contribution.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
POTG: Tuomo Ruutu - for putting confidence back into the Kakk.

Rangers are one of the youngest teams and still icing 7 players that are 21 or younger. We should expect growing pains from this team. Will be nice when Zibs is back as well.

Could be worse, we could be Giants or Jets right now.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I do. I’ve officiated hockey for 22 years( never at the pro level though ). Quinn gives the refs the death stare after every call- a very college level coach thing to do— and the refs won’t show him any respect since he shows them none. Coaches won’t get the benefit of anything if they argue every call— even worse is when you argue the obvious calls. You think Quinn would realize that when the same group of officials call everygame, maybe it’s better to just let the little stuff go so you don’t get the reputation of being a whiner and complainer.

It’s all about respect and if an official feals disrespected he’s not going to give the coach or a team a break.

Peter Laviolette has been arguing, ranting and raving over every call ever since he came into the league. Not sure that Tortorella is a barrel of laughs for the officials either.

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
This team is so inconsistent. That’s not a sign of a well prepared team nor is it a mark of a team developing consistent work ethics. If you can’t get the foundations right the rest of this house they are building is bound to collapse.

These are the signs of a young developing team. This is what they go through. Work ethic, full 60 minute effort and focus takes time. We need to have some patience, especially 10ish games into the season because we are going to see ups and downs like this for another year or two at least as these kids learn to be pros.

Reactions: Leetch3

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Peter Laviolette has been arguing, ranting and raving over every call ever since he came into the league. Not sure that Tortorella is a barrel of laughs for the officials either.

The difference is he’s also won the Stanley cup so he has a lot more respect with the officials. Also, Torts never got any breaks either. How many of us used t0 complain about the officiating when he was coaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
These are the signs of a young developing team. This is what they go through. Work ethic, full 60 minute effort and focus takes time. We need to have some patience, especially 10ish games into the season because we are going to see ups and downs like this for another year or two at least as these kids learn to be pros.

Work ethic needs to be there every game. It's inexcusable at 21 to not be busting it each shift. Not working hard is a sign of soft players. This roster is filled with guys that need to establish themselves as deserving our patience. Look at what happened to Chytil's game now that he is consistently busting it each shift. Why do people just keep coming up with excuses all the time for terrible performance? Stop making excuses and face the facts. This team is filled with passengers who need to be reminded there are no free lunches in the NHL

This team was thrown off by a few events during the game and did not have the mental toughness to push through. That's a terrible sign and it's happening frequently this season.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This couldn’t of felt anymore as a trap unless you got your nuts trapped into a bear trap. Just show up next game and try and get the win, and this one will be forgotten. I don’t mind if they lose games now it’s when they get man handled by one of the bottom teams in the league, it’s a concern. Growing pains is an understatement here.

It’s a rebuild, and you need to make progress. What I found good last night was you had Kakko looking very good picked up his first multi-point game and well deserved, Fox having a bad game yet still looked good in most of it , and Panarin doing his thing, that’s the progress we need.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Yeah I don't buy it 1 iota. NHL refs get to do the playoffs based on meritocracy... They make like an extra 20k for every round they ref.

They start missing calls for some teams they don't get to do the playoffs

Their wallet is more important to them than some death stare.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
These are the kinds of games that we're going to see a few times this season from such a young team. Learn from it and move on.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah I don't buy it 1 iota. NHL refs get to do the playoffs based on meritocracy... They make like an extra 20k for every round they ref.

I wouldn't say I don't buy it an iota but yeah there is something in it for them to at least practice at not being biased. Really--'I don't like you' is not a good reason to take sides and call a shit game. It's not very professional either. You're not just taking it out on coaches and players---you're taking it out on fanbases too. Respect for the game cuts more than just one way. There's a coach/players perspective and a fans perspective of that too. The referees are not more important than the game or the fans.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Will take your experience and word for it, however, my preference is that refs just do their jobs calling a fair and consistent game and leave the coach weenie measuring politics for their therapists.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

Yeah I agree with you completely but the guy I responded to asked for a possible reason why Quinn gets the shaft often. I think officials are never out to get people or teams but they are humans and if its a close call, they may give the benefit of the doubt to people who treat them with more respect.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Will take your experience and word for it, however, my preference is that refs just do their jobs calling a fair and consistent game and leave the coach weenie measuring politics for their therapists.

I just want to point out that I actually don't think this is actually happening because officials at the NHL level are professional but the guy I responded to asked for a reason for why it might appear that the Rangers are getting shafted. The NHL is a fast game so officials are trying their best out there. Judgement calls though, sometimes are influenced by respect and I think Quinn does tend to "show up" the refs a lot.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
didnt see the game. sounds like i didnt miss much.

no idea why they couldn't blow this team out. makes zero sense to me.

now we get marc staal and the over the top crap that comes along with him returning to the lineup.

growing pains i guess.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Your dislike of Quinn just seems to follow you from topic to topic. Now bad calls from refs are his fault as well?

When do we get to a player's indigestion being on Quinn as well?
This team is so inconsistent.
That's what happens when you ice a team that is so young.
That's a terrible sign and it's happening frequently this season.
We know: Quinn sucks and is an idiot to boot.

Last edited:

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
SHould I bump the whole
‘Kravtsov was our highest ranked forward in the draft’

Anyone who thinks the rangers had kravtsov over tkachuk is kidding themselves.

He turned that game single handedly

Reactions: ponytrekker

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Your dislike of Quinn just seems to follow you from topic to topic. Now bad calls from refs are his fault as well?

When do we get to a player's indigestion being on Quinn as well?

That's what happens when you ice a team that is so young.

We know: Quinn sucks and is an idiot to boot.

Well when the team starts playing better we can applaud the coach and the job he's doing. For now, he's not doing a good job and the proof is in the results. Again, I don't dislike him as a coach, but I think he has a tremendous amount of learning to do and should have been given the chance to learn as an assistant. Well coached teams are much more consistent than this.

Yes, coaches can make officials make bad calls. It's part of why good coaches pick their battles with officials and don't get on them after every call. Human beings are making that decision on the ice and if you ride the officials too much they won't give you the benefit of the doubt. That's not hard to figure out.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I just want to point out that I actually don't think this is actually happening because officials at the NHL level are professional but the guy I responded to asked for a reason for why it might appear that the Rangers are getting shafted. The NHL is a fast game so officials are trying their best out there. Judgement calls though, sometimes are influenced by respect and I think Quinn does tend to "show up" the refs a lot.
I believe you, I’ve reffed soccer and just think that if refs let their perception of the coach’s attitude influence close calls then theyre in the wrong business and lack some basic sporting integrity. A foul is a foul whether the coach is a dick or not, close ones happen and as long as you’re consistent the issues seem to fade.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
POTG: Tuomo Ruutu - for putting confidence back into the Kakk.

Rangers are one of the youngest teams and still icing 7 players that are 21 or younger. We should expect growing pains from this team. Will be nice when Zibs is back as well.

Could be worse, we could be Giants or Jets right now.

giphy.gif

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
There have been some noted stories in the past that certain referees wouldn’t give certain players calls unless they signed a bunch of swag that the refs could move on the memorabilia market....

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well when the team starts playing better we can applaud the coach and the job he's doing. For now, he's not doing a good job and the proof is in the results.
Your take. I actually have no problem with the results as they are pretty much as I expected. I also like the fact that the players are responding to him so that makes me content.

Again, to me, you can put Scotty Bowman or Toe Blake behind the bench with this roster, and the results would be the same.
Again, I don't dislike him as a coach, but I think he has a tremendous amount of learning to do and should have been given the chance to learn as an assistant. Well coached teams are much more consistent than this.
Well coached older veteran teams are more consistent than this team. Teams this young are about as inconsistent as you are seeing. Learning consistency is all a part of the process. You either trust it or you don't.
Yes, coaches can make officials make bad calls. It's part of why good coaches pick their battles with officials and don't get on them after every call. Human beings are making that decision on the ice and if you ride the officials too much they won't give you the benefit of the doubt. That's not hard to figure out.
He is not riding the officials. That is just you looking to throw him further under your own bus.

Reactions: Mandar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->